Menu

9 yr. old ds with body odor - is this normal for boys (this young)? (m)

Both my dd's started having underarm odor when they were about 8. My oldest is 13 and still hasn't gone through puberty, so I guess it doesn't necessarily mean it is imminent, though I always used to think they were connected.

It seems to me that most people don't start smelling bad unless it has been more than 24 hours since a good wash. Even grown ups! My super-athletic adult brother stopped using deodorant for years in his early 20s when he was exercising so much (Ironman triathalons, etc.) that he was showering at least twice a day -- a.m & post-workout(s). He swore he didn't smell and honestly, he never did. And he's a *big* guy!

So, anyway, if my dc started getting smelly, the first thing I'd make sure it to start an a.m. shower routine with a *washcloth* and soap! (It shocks me how my dc have needed reminders to use *soap* through age 9 or so! My 9yo still has to be argued with that soap is required to wash. . .)

When my 11 yo dd started getting some facial acne a year ago, I taught her carefully how to wash with face soap, warm water and a clean wash cloth -- twice a day. Once she got in the habit, she's had very little acne, but it sprouts right up when she gets sloppy with forgetting to wash. Now my 9yo ds is starting with the same facial acne and is learning the same lesson.

So, anyway, I figure hygiene first. Then, once that is being done *right*, if there is still a need for deodorant, then bring it on. (Just like I gave dd a bottle of zit medicine to use after a few weeks of good washing wasn't a total cure. . .)

I started to notice body odor with 9yo dd. I was concerned that it heralded accelerated growth that I would have preferred not to have happen. Upon closer inspection and interrogation, I found that the problem was that she wasn't changing undergarments as frequently as she should have. She informed me that she liked the flowers on a certain few pair and those were the only ones she wanted to wear! I started a thorough campaign to check up on her laundry situation and sure enough, the odor went away. Yuck! Why is it that rules that they have understood for years can suddenly and without warning be flung out the window?

Our daughter who is only six years old has underarm odor on both sides. Usually my husband or myself help her to "wash her pits" with washcloth, soap, and water. I'm a bit skeptical to use deodorant on her at this young age especially since she suffers from eczema.

Mary Catone

This is the second thread I have read today about stinky kids! LOL

My 9 year old ds doesn't wash properly and is prone to dry scalp. When he hasn't washed his hair properly...even when it is short...he smells funky. Yuck. It amazes me how many kids do not wash properly. I was always such a priss and wanted to be super clean. What is up with this "God gave me BOYS" thing??? LOL

I will agree w/ others about it not being puberty. One of my dd's started having odor problems at 4. It took awhile to realize that wearing certain fabrics causes her to stink. Polyester fabrics seem to be a big problem w/ her. Otherwise, she can be dirty/sweaty and not stink at all. And some days......we get reminded to have her wear deoderant w/ a particular shirt.

HTH

I hope this is not the onset of puberty. Dd (now 12) started early too, and I'm petrified that it's starting for ds. I want him to keep growing .... and be tall. Of course, we're living in hot and humid South Florida so maybe I'm just panicking.

Sandra

My ds started using deodorant when he was 8. Peeeeeuuuuu! he stunk :tongue_smilie:

My 9 yo ds has been wearing deodorant for about a year. He just started smelling like a little onion one day. He also wears cologne. He's very metro. My ds12, on the other hand, has to be reminded to use soap in the shower. I have to remind him daily to put on deodorant, as well. He didn't really need deodorant until he was almost 11. He's in the throes of puberty as we speak.