Menu

Can I get some reviews of Elemental Science: Earth Science and Astronomy?

Laura Cook

I am trying to decide if we will continue on with ES next year or try something else. We are using Biology for Grammar Stage this year and I'm feeling so-so about. The biggest turn off for me is the encyclopedia readings, they are boring and do not contain enough info. My kids seem to enjoy the program though so we continue on. Reviews and/or recommendations would be great! Thanks!

We used it last year. I didn't like it. It don't think they need to have a college prep course in elementary, but this was too easy and my kids just couldn't get into it. And I don't see DD remembering what we did last year as much as she remembers Biology (which wasn't Elemental Science) from the year before!

yeah, at first I liked it, but the spine is waaay too simplified. the vocab is way too simplified, the weekly quizzes, my kids can answer correctly before we study the subject for the most part. I think for a 6 year old it would be fine. My 9 year old I am having her look up the topics in other books. She and my 7 year old are doing all the usborne links and watching brainpop videos when they can be found, but I don't really think they are remembering lots of stuff. I'm not crazy about the Janice VanCleave experiments either that are scheduled. Another poster on another thread said she was really impressed witht he chem though, that it had lots of info, so I don't know...

I'm feeling the same way about ES bio right now. It's just not enough info. The quizzes are way too easy for my 7 year old dd. she doesn't retain much at all from the encyclopedia readings. The experiments are so so. Some don't really tie into the lesson which bugs me.

We've tried Apologia and its just so much info. My dd was overwhelmed. Now ES does not have enough info. I feel like Goldilocks and the 3 Bears. Why can't I find one that's just right? I don't feel like we are retaining much from either program. I hate that we can't find a science we enjoy and remember.

I would love to know if other ES programs are more in depth. I think we'll have to find something else next year.

I kind of agree. I loved the idea. However, I find myself adding to it a lot to give my DS8 more information. Which I suppose if you enjoy supplementing with your own rabbit trails is great. I do, so I am not sure what I will do next year, I was planning to do elemental chemistry with some delight directed science....we shall see. HTH, oh and for what it's worth they are very responsive and attentive to customers at Elemental. I had issues with shipping and they responded quickly and went over and above to solve my problem, great customer service. It's one of the reasons I am torn.

The main thing I disliked with bio was the books. I think the author of ES was trying to keep the number of books used to a minimum and that is why she chose books like the animal encyclopedia. With future ES programs, I plan to use the schedule, but find better books from the library that go more in depth. If I ever do the animal part of bio again, I would study fewer animals, and just do a few from each genre in depth.

Hmm maybe I am simple, but we are liking it fine. The books have much more info than my kids know about the topics. They love the notebooking. The projects have been fun. We have not done a ton of the experiments though. We read, notebook, do the quizzes, and an occasional project or experiment. We are not a science centered home at this age and I cannot be extremely deep in every aspect of academia with a second grader and Ker. I think ES follows WTM science recs well, and while I know that is not enough for some, it is enough for us for this stage at least. We are heavy on skill subjects right now and have a pretty heavy history focus as well, deeper science would just overwhelm us. For us science is an introduction at this stage, and ES gets the job done.

Has anyone done Mr. Q's ESA? Or looked into it much? I like the format better, reading from their book instead of an encyclopedia, but the worksheets at the end are a no go for us. My kids would not like them at all, they like the narration in ES. Which I suppose we could still do. I am afraid that no matter what we use it will have to be tweaked to suit us!

I actually like the simplicity of the program. It's a science program that actually gets DONE in my home. I like the simple experiments. Makes it easier for my boys as they learn for the first time how to record their observations. I can find books, videos, and other resources to add as we need. We've watched many Bill Nye and YouTube videos and which my boys have LOVED. We also use our science journals so my boys can draw and write their own experiences.

For us, simple is best. :)

FYI-we are currently using the Earth Science. We won't cover the astronomy part as we covered this with Apologia a few years ago. I've already purchased the elementary chemistry program and look forward to it next school year. My boys are pk, 1st, and 3rd graders. We are probably history buffs more than scientists here but my boys LOVE ES.

The main thing I disliked with bio was the books. I think the author of ES was trying to keep the number of books used to a minimum and that is why she chose books like the animal encyclopedia. With future ES programs, I plan to use the schedule, but find better books from the library that go more in depth. If I ever do the animal part of bio again, I would study fewer animals, and just do a few from each genre in depth.

I'm coming at it from the opposite end. Since we're using the grammar biology in first grade, I wanted something that was very broad. I figure the time to go in depth will be when we swing back around in 5th grade and 9th grade. I'm not looking for my son to be an expert on specific animals, but I do want him to be able to do some general taxonomy by the end of the course.

Elemental Chemistry I think is working for us. I hear my kids talking about the different elements and random chemistry topics in the car while I am driving. So it is working for us. I haven;t tried anything else though. So I have nothing to compare it to except for boring textbooks. This way is learning is much better than textbooks. We went to the library recently and the kids checked out books about the Hindenburg and asking questions such as why would they want cars powered by hydrogen if it is so flammable.

Elizabeth rose: you mentioned that the spine is way too simplified but honestly it should be at this age. It is just to wet their feet. A teaser if you will. It is just to expose them to the vocabulary, some concepts and the periodic table. They will be going through this 2 more times at a deeper level before college work. I just use the weekly quizzes as samples for their charter school and once they go through them they can correct with open book. I am not expecting memorization. Just plain get them exposed and interested. I think Elemental does this trick. So many people are so shocked at what they are learning at such an early age. Most gets don;t touch this until high school,.

I actually like the simplicity of the program. It's a science program that actually gets DONE in my home. I like the simple experiments. Makes it easier for my boys as they learn for the first time how to record their observations. I can find books, videos, and other resources to add as we need. We've watched many Bill Nye and YouTube videos and which my boys have LOVED. We also use our science journals so my boys can draw and write their own experiences.

For us, simple is best. :)

This is how I felt too... I've tried other programs.. RSO, RS4K to name two off the top of my head.. and they just didn't get done..

Yes.. I did add books to the readings for ES Grammar.. but DD enjoyed the reading and the activities and the notebooking too..

I felt like at least it got done..

I like how ES is basically based on narrations rather than fill in the blank worksheets. I think it makes the kids really think about what they are writing in the lines. Mr. Q is mostly worksheets. I think I saw RSO briefly but it looked worksheet based. Maybe I am wrong.

We haven't used the elementary level, but the intermediate level is great. Indy absolutely loves it and can't wait to do science every day. There is the option to use it with the lower levels with different books, so that might be an option. I think it would be too challenging though.

I love the logic stage of es bio. It uses Kingfisher Science and another challenging spine.

I agree! We didn't use ES at the elementary level, but the logic level has been a great fit for us. If your DC don't enjoy science encyclopedias, obviously it won't be a good fit and you should look elsewhere. The beauty of ES for us is that it is flexible, organized, thorough, solid. Love that it is based on respected, widely-published, secular encylopedias. Includes labs and WTM-based. It's so challenging to find reliable non-textbook science curricula, but ES materials (and Ellen McHenry's materials) are our favorites by far. We have ES logic stage biology and earth science, and will be buying chem and physics.

Yes the encyclopedias give a little tidbit and then I don;t have to go off and buy a ton of different books for each topic. I think that it is good that it is one big compendium of topics. Then they can run off to the library nonfiction section and look up further books on topics that they want to research more. I am looking forward to the Logic level books. We used Elementary chemistry and going into Earth science next year...yes out of TWTM order but oh well. How far up does Logic Level books go ? Just to the bio level? I have to look up website again to confirm. Last year and through the summer we screamed through the prontolessons website..biology, anatomy and physics before I got all the components to this curriculum. I just had them write the the review questions as a narration paragraph. Illustrate. Then hand in as a sample work for charter school. This year I just give the charter school their weekly quizzes as samples.

I have been having a great time with this curriculum as I found a retired science type grandpa like neighbor who reads the spine's experiment of the week and goes and buys the materials needed for the experiment (easy for him to go and buy then for me to drag five kids through the store) and he comes over once a week and does the experiment with the kids. The kids pretty much do all the writing with me first or after the experiment.

It has been so great for the kids have this experience.