Menu

show me your pantry!

jeninok

I have never had a dedicated pantry before, and this kitchen is nearly the reverse of our last one as far as layout and types of storage. I have seriously emptied and redone the shelves about 15 times and it still isn't working for me!

So......who wants to show me a picture of their real pantry?

What is it shaped like? And what isn't working for you? The biggest problem I have in my pantry is that my kids eat things that I need for a special time or purpose, things like ingredients for a special recipe or a special snack for my students, so I created a shelf for things that are "off limits." : ) The whole rest of the pantry, snacks and goodies included, is fair grazing. LOL

I am short, so our full two-door pantry I keep all the stuff I use most often where it is easiest for me to get to it. One shelf is all canned goods, another all large baking items , another smaller bakign items, another shelf all spices and ethnic stuff - you get the idea.

It is shaped like a small regular closet, about 3 feet wide and 2.5 feet deep. I think I need another shelf on the bottom, or some kind of stacking bins on the floor.

The shelves are deep, which means things are easily hidden or buried too easily. It also has those heavy duty wire shelves, most thing I have found to create levels within each shelf, would just fall through the gaps between wires.

I am also short, so I'm trying to put the most used items within easy reach, I don't want to have to get out a step stool every time I cook. I also need to figure out a space for some items like stockpots and small appliances, the don't fit well in the cabinets but also take up a lot of room in my pantry. I might end up having to put shelves in a nearby closet to hold them.

I love those metal shelves, but we don't have a basement and the living area is all very open, I love having more space, but the logistics of living, cooking, schooling, and hobbies in one big space that is the first thing you see when you walk in are a.challenge. Especially coming from a small home with lots of walls.

Our kitchen pantry, originally, had shelves on each narrow side as one looked through the single door. Such a m.o. with available space! So for our first Christmas in this house, DS#1 and DH installed painted boards running across the back, side wall, each board resting upon the original side wall boards. I now have a tremendous amount of pantry storage space! On the pantry floor I have shallow boxes to hold unopened bottled juices, wine, oil, and water. Even this, however, does not suffice because I cook so extensively. Accordingly, we have a 6' bookcase with doors standing in the laundry room, to hold certain kinds of canned goods, as well as paper supplies.

I'll offer mine up!

This is very mish-moshy right now. We've put a hold on most stockpiling while attacking our debt and plan to get serious again in the fall.

This space has pros and cons. Pro, it's cut off from the rest of the house (loft space, which is the only upstairs area besides the master suite) so I don't really care about it looking nice. Con, it gets too hot up there to safely store anything all the way to its expiration date.

Well, never mind then. I can't figure out the new file sharing situation!