Menu

Weird conversations I never imagined overhearing

blondeviolin

In preparation for the new baby, our 3yo moved to the back of the van with our older two. I overheard the following discussion this evening.

Emmett: Eleanor, you're no longer in the stomach of the car.

Ellie: I'm not?

Abby: Yeah. This space--*gesturing to the space between the middle row and back row*--is the small intestines. You now sit in the large intestines with Emmett and me!

Ellie: Oh good, I'm being mashed into bits!!

Abby: Yeah, and back there...--*points to behind her*-- That's the anus!

And they were completely straight-faced and serious about the entire exchange. :001_huh:

:lol: HAHAHAHA

Rachel, my hubby and I were watching a cartoon where some sheep get glue on themselves and roll together in a big ball (think giant cauliflower). They run into a garden shed and some how come unstuck.

I say, "That does not make sense. what made them come apart?"

Rachel says, "Mom, it is just pathetic license."

I am not sure which amazed me more, the mistake of words or the fact that my 4 year old understands the concept of poetic license. :D

My kids had the same conversation! They were in the house instead of the car though. The whole house was the digestive system.

Isn't that interesting!

I tried not to die laughing because they were COMPLETELY SERIOUS about the whole thing. At least I know they retained when we talked about the digestive system (at the beginning of this year).

My 5yo and I also had to discuss what a uterus is and the baby isn't actually in my stomach. He had formerly believed that the baby was small enough to make it through my esophagus but that he had grown so large he got stopped at my stomach. He was very concerned about how he would pass through my intestines and out my anus in one piece. :confused1:

• 2 weeks later...
My 5yo and I also had to discuss what a uterus is and the baby isn't actually in my stomach. He had formerly believed that the baby was small enough to make it through my esophagus but that he had grown so large he got stopped at my stomach. He was very concerned about how he would pass through my intestines and out my anus in one piece. :confused1:

That is very cool that your 5yo is so knowledgeable and analytical!

Also it's probably a warning not to tell kids inaccurate things like babies being in stomachs (people who don't think their kid is ready for uterus can always say belly).

Interesting that this thread popped back up!

That is very cool that your 5yo is so knowledgeable and analytical!

Also it's probably a warning not to tell kids inaccurate things like babies being in stomachs (people who don't think their kid is ready for uterus can always say belly).

This is something I have to be very careful of with him! I have to be very explicit with instructions as well.