Menu

Help Singapore math

mysticmomma

We have been using Singapore with dd (2nd grader) since 1st grade. We started with mus and she did not like the videos and it just seemed too slow for her. We also tried right start but were overwhelmed with the manipulatives. We found Singapore and loved it. She is a self learner and I never had to do much instruction. We never bought the hig, and I only bought the text for 1a. I found it tedious and didn't buy anymore. We are now nearing the half way point of 2b and she is getting stuck and frustrated. The mental math is n

Can I just clarify: you have not used the HIG at all, and used the text for 1A only? Assuming I've understood you correctly ...

Since you're in 2B, and since Singapore is a better fit for your dd than other programs, I'd take some time to go back. It's very possible that, using the workbooks alone, she's missed the foundational concepts that are necessary for the mental math in 2B and beyond. The "Singapore way" moves the student from concrete (lessons from the HIG with manipulatives) --> pictorial (textbook pictures) --> abstract (workbook).

If budget isn't a big concern, then I'd consider getting yourself the HIGs for 1B and on. You probably only need to look at the addition / subtraction topics in each book (not so much geometry or measurement). Do the lessons from those key topics together, using manipulatives like c-rods. If you check out Education Unboxed, you'll see ways of turning some of those lessons into games. Take whatever time you need to work through those missed lessons.

I'd also get the 2A text and work through its addition & subtraction chapters in particular before picking up with 2B again, working through the 2B text to make sure concepts are solid before proceeding further in 2B. When you do move on in 2B, I'd use the HIG / text / workbook combo routinely.

If budget is a concern, then I'd pause and spend a lot of time with Education Unboxed to work on concepts related to addition / subtraction. Then I'd grab the 2A and 2B texts (and 2B HIG) and work through them until you've reached the point where you're at in the workbook now.

Can I just clarify: you have not used the HIG at all, and used the text for 1A only? Assuming I've understood you correctly ...

Since you're in 2B, and since Singapore is a better fit for your dd than other programs, I'd take some time to go back. It's very possible that, using the workbooks alone, she's missed the foundational concepts that are necessary for the mental math in 2B and beyond. The "Singapore way" moves the student from concrete (lessons from the HIG with manipulatives) --> pictorial (textbook pictures) --> abstract (workbook).

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

I can't believe that using only the text there'd be anything resembling mastery of material.

I want to be sure my son's basic math is rock solid. We use the text, WB, HiG, CWP, IP, iExcel, and I'll occasionally supplement with additional practice problems if he needs review on a topic (long division, multiplication with decimals & fractions).

I'm a strong proponent of overlearning in math. If you've got a shaky foundation, algebra will be very difficult and calculus will involve a lot of basic arithmetic and algebra review. With Singapore, which I adore, I think text, WB, HiG is bare bare minimum....I think it really shines with CWP and IP.

I agree with the poster who said the HIGs, textbooks and workbooks are bare minimums. As for budget restrictions, I would buy the HIG and textbook used (workbook too, if it isn't written in), keep them nice and then resell them to buy the next level. SM is very popular...people are always looking for the components, especially the HIGs. I know a lot of people use Math Mammoth because it's cheaper. Maybe look into that if it fits your budget better. I would just choose a math and stick with it. One that fits your budget, so you can use all of the necessary components. I can't think of another way. Math is the one program I would splurge on. Not really splurge on, but allocate the largest portion of my budget to it and use less expensive resources for other subjects.

And budget is very much a concern.

And budget is very much a concern.

Then I'd pause to work through Education Unboxed videos (free, plus the cost of a bin of cuisenaire rods), especially:

• Addition & Subtraction to 10 (if those aren't rock solid right now)

• Place Value

• Addition & Subtraction to 20

• Addition & Subtraction to 100

Those seem to be the parts in 1A - 2B that are the hardest to get conceptually, but that are so foundational for the later mental math. Then you can pick up with 2B with the HIG / text / workbook.

As the pp suggested, Math Mammoth is a cheaper alternative to Singapore that is just as strong mathematically; however, its look can be off-putting to some students because the pages are very full.

Maybe try Math Mammoth instead. The style of math is similar, but the cost is much less.

Is the cost of MM actually much less if you're still having to print stuff off, yourself or professionally? Honestly, I'm just not sure. And for me, having it printed so we can just grab it and go is worth something, too. We love Singapore right now!

In any event, you might want to look at JUMP Math. You could probably go straight into their 3.1, because there's a LOT of review of concepts at the start of each level. It began as a remedial program and has blossomed into something much greater than that... but is still great for helping kids (and their parents) who've gotten discouraged by math. I've done their in-person workshops, but they also have webinars if you're not local.

The Teacher's Guides are extensive, designed for teachers without much math background, have lots of ideas for games etc and are FREE online. More information here:

http://jumpmath.org/cms/publications

Is there a scope and sequence on their website where you can see exactly what was covered in case you missed something? Otherwise I would be temppted to just start 3A when you are ready, taking it step by step through the instructors guides. There should be enough review to cover you. I use SM, and what I have never understood is how people have the time to do the HIG, TB, Wkbk, CWP, IP, etc all together. We use the HIG< Text and Workbook. That alone can take 90 min a day. More math than that? I can't imagine. for one thing my kids brains turn off after awhile., So does mine as it is.

What mental math is giving you trouble?

As for word problems, is he looking for key words like altogether, difference ect?

Goodness, all of this just because she is having some trouble with word problems?

I would suggest you make one purchase. I think that the Singapore book "Challenging Word Problems" but get the one for first grade. It will provide some much needed review. If you do one every day she should see some improvement. Word problems are a specific challenge and SM is known for doing a good job with that challenge. She could be perfectly solid on her math facts, just need some practice applying it to word problems.

You might also consider checking out MEP math. It is free

http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mepres/primary/default.htm

If she is doing ok with Singapore 2b, except for the world problems, doing some work in MEP 1 will give her more practice, but in a way that helps her to feel successful.

Now, MEP has teacher pages (lesson plans) and worksheets (Practice book). You use both together. You read from the lesson plan and the student uses the practice book pages. It makes sense when you see them together. But try printing out a couple weeks worth of each and see how it goes. You might aim for maybe halfway through year 1? You want it to be a little challenging, but not defeating. You might want to do a board search on MEP because some people have trouble figuring out what the lessons are and what the worksheets are. I really love MEP and find it a great free supplement to SM.

And I did 6 years of Singapore math with my older boy and never used anything but the texts, the workbooks, and some cuisinare rods. I didn't get a HIG until year 4. I don't think the HIGs existed when we started, and I didn't know things like IP or CWP existed. We did just fine. My son is a 7th grader who went from SM 6a&6b into AoPS pre-algebra very well prepared. I do have the HIG now, for my second grader, but mostly I use it for the mental math in the back.

Then I'd pause to work through Education Unboxed videos (free, plus the cost of a bin of cuisenaire rods), especially:

• Addition & Subtraction to 10 (if those aren't rock solid right now)
  • Place Value
  • Addition & Subtraction to 20
  • Addition & Subtraction to 100

Those seem to be the parts in 1A - 2B that are the hardest to get conceptually, but that are so foundational for the later mental math. Then you can pick up with 2B with the HIG / text / workbook.

As the pp suggested, Math Mammoth is a cheaper alternative to Singapore that is just as strong mathematically; however, its look can be off-putting to some students because the pages are very full.

Is the cost of MM actually much less if you're still having to print stuff off, yourself or professionally? Honestly, I'm just not sure. And for me, having it printed so we can just grab it and go is worth something, too. We love Singapore right now!

In any event, you might want to look at JUMP Math. You could probably go straight into their 3.1, because there's a LOT of review of concepts at the start of each level. It began as a remedial program and has blossomed into something much greater than that... but is still great for helping kids (and their parents) who've gotten discouraged by math. I've don

e their in-person workshops, but they also have webinars if you're not local.

The Teacher's Guides are extensive, designed for teachers without much math background, have lots of ideas for games etc and are FREE online. More information here:

http://jumpmath.org/cms/publications

I second the idea of going through the education unboxed videos and/or looking into Math Mammoth. The cheapest way to buy MM is when it goes on sale through HSBC, but I personally prefer to buy the worktexts already printed. It comes to $26 per year, all the instruction is included. I haven't needed any extras like answer keys or tests.

All of what because she's having trouble with word problems? My concern? I'm not sure if you are saying I'm overreacting (totally possible) or other posters are? I have had extra concerns lately because I don't do all lessons with her. I am back to school full time and this semester we just have family watching. It is often a different person each day of the week. Next semester will be better. We school year round and work on the weekends too, but I was getting concerned that perhaps there wasn't enough supervision/instruction. I found a Singapore mental math and we are going through that. I think I will grab the level one word problem. That is a great suggestion. I think I got quite hyper after realizing we hadn't been using all of the materials and she would be screwed! Who doesn't worry they've got it all wrong sometimes.

Goodness, all of this just because she is having some trouble with word problems?

I would suggest you make one purchase. I think that the Singapore book "Challenging Word Problems" but get the one for first grade.

All of what because she's having trouble with word problems? My concern? I'm not sure if you are saying I'm overreacting (totally possible) or other posters are? I have had extra concerns lately because I don't do all lessons with her. I am back to school full time and this semester we just have family watching. It is often a different person each day of the week. Next semester will be better. We school year round and work on the weekends too, but I was getting concerned that perhaps there wasn't enough supervision/instruction. I found a Singapore mental math and we are going through that. I think I will grab the level one word problem. That is a great suggestion. I think I got quite hyper after realizing we hadn't been using all of the materials and she would be screwed! Who doesn't worry they've got it all wrong sometimes.

I doubt very much that redsquirrel was implying that you are overreacting. I read it that this whole long thread was a a bit much. She has a good point -- if, as in your second OP, this is just about some word problems, then that's where your focus needs to be.

But I read from your first OP that your dd was stuck and frustrated in 2B in general, with mental math and word problems in particular being an issue. That, coupled with the knowledge that she had only been using the workbook, made it sound to me like she'd missed the conceptual teaching in 1B / 2A especially.

CWP may help, as redsquirrel suggested. We use it all the time, and love it. But if your dd is truly stuck in 2B, and you can only afford one resource, I'd spend the $$ on something that will shore up those missed concepts: the textbook for 2A or Math Mammoth 1/2. And ideally, if the funds allowed, I'd get both the CWP and something to review those potentially missed concepts.

I hit a wall with my ds in Singapore in the middle of 2A, talked to some friends, realized I'd totally missed out on the importance of the HIGs and we did, in fact, go all the way back to the beginning of 1A. It went very, very quickly because all I did was teach everything concretely and then go over it in the text and then he did a few problems to show me he got it. But it laid the kind of concrete, conceptual foundation that Singapore is going for.

If after working on some mental math and the level 1 word problems, you find that she has conceptual gaps, I think you will be fine if you work on them with c-rods and educationunboxed.com.

But if your situation is that someone different is supervising her schooling each day, you might look into Math Mammoth. I've actually never used it but I know from reading so much here that it is also very conceptually strong and I believe it is directed more at the student so it would be easier for several different people to work on. It is also a much more "all-in-one" package. You could keep SM CWPs along side it as a supplement.