Menu

Question about shipping media mail

BlueTaelon

I need plain English which the USPS doesn't use :glare: I need to ship the last of our books since there isn't room in the car, there is space left in the box that I can put other stuff, does media mail only allow for bound printed matter for say 20% of the box with non books? or do I need to just stuff it with packing peanuts?

Stuff it with packing peanuts. Quoted from USPS.com: "The material sent must be educational media. It can’t contain advertising, video games, computer drives, or digital drives of any kind." It's understood to mean "or any non-educational items" as well.

Guest inoubliable

USPS sometimes open up media mail to check that people are not "cheating".

They reserve the right to rip open a package anywhere along the line and check, too. We found that out after a couple packages last year were taped shut with a postal notice on them about being inspected. The packages were all books ordered from Amazon for school.

I knew a guy who shipped Media and wrapped the books in t-shirts. But even he said that he wouldn't risk doing that again.

If you really want to avoid peanuts/bubble wrap/newspaper, the rattiest white rags you have laying around might pass inspection. I just hoard all the packing material that gets sent to me so I can re-use it in cases like this. With all of USPS's money troubles, they're doing more inspections these days, if my unscientific observation is anything to go by.

I thought "media mail" was dropped from USPS when the price increases went into effect at the end of January?

ETA: Hmm, Maybe not.

https://www.usps.com/ship/media-mail.htm?

But I swear I've gotten e-mails from E-bay several times in the last month that they've changed the media mail service to something different, so you might want to actually go to the PO and find out for sure what the new policies and rules are.

This can double the cost of shipping, and a lot of buyers don't want to pay more than the minimum. I've sold with media mail for 10+ years and have never had any issues.

I've used media mail for many years as well. I've had more than a few issues, including a few lost packages and one completely empty box (thankfully that was a paperbackswap book). I only use it on small items, valued less than 15.00.

I would not trust an entire box of books shipping media mail, but that's just me.

I've used media mail for many years as well. I've had more than a few issues, including a few lost packages and one completely empty box (thankfully that was a paperbackswap book). I only use it on small items, valued less than 15.00.

I would not trust an entire box of books shipping media mail, but that's just me.

:iagree: