Menu

Is the tv series 24 appropriate for a 15yo?

mazakaal

Ds is turning 15 next week and asked for the complete series of the tv show 24 for a birthday present. We can get it at a reasonable price from Amazon, a lot cheaper than buying each season seperately, so I don't want to just buy one season to check it out, then buy more if they're okay. But I'm also not sure how appropriate it is for a 15yo. I've only watched it once 5 years ago and really don't remember. On Amazon.co.uk it is listed as being listed as a rating of 15 (not suitable for children under 15). On Amazon.com some seasons are listed as PG13 and others have no rating. We are fairly conservative, but ds is allowed to watch action movies (Batman, Bourne, etc) and I'd assume that it's similar. Does it have excessive violence, s*x scenes or frequent bad language?

My son watched it with us when he was 13-ish. It does have violence; Jack Bauer (Keiffer Sutherland's character) is prone to torturing people.

From what I'm remembering, it's not exceptionally gory, and if you allow the most recent Batman movies and Bourne series, it should not be any worse than those. It should be fine.

Well, I edited it for my 15yo. I took out the sex parts and the parts with the bad girl walking around naked. It was only parts of the first three episodes. After that it was fine. It seems like season one was worse with sex than most of the seasons. After that I think there was maybe one episode a season that I had to edit.

I agree that the first season was the worst but after that it was good. It was on network television so there is no nudity. I wouldn't hesitate to let a 15 year-old watch it.

Elise in NC

Just beware, the ending of the first season was difficult for me to get over. I thought about it for days. If your child is sensitive you might want to be aware of that.

Season 2 sucked big time. It's not worth buying, but if you're getting a set, then oh well.