Menu

New oven shopping. Any experts to advise me?

KungFuPanda

I'm hoping one of you has done the research so I don't have to. 😠I NEED a new stove. I've been cooking on the two small burners for about a year. I cook a LOT, so this is pathological procrastinating at it's finest. Here's what I want:

Standard sized

Electric

Double oven (that oven and a half thingy)

white (accent colors are OK)

Less than $1500 (I can bump up a bit if I HAVE to)

It should be noted that I'm willing to purchase a new canner, or a burner just for canning, but I'm not willing to part with my cast iron cookware. I 'think' I want a smooth top, but I'm unsure. Any words of wisdom? I'm ready to pull the trigger and order tomorrow.

I don't know if I care about convection. Can anyone make a case for or against. I cook a lot, but my baking is mainly food/bread. I might make cookies or cake once a month.

My grandmother has a glass top range and I'm deathly afraid of using cast iron on it, though canning never has an issue. Convection is something I haven't noticed a difference, except that it doesn't heat up the house as much if your ventilation is such that that's an issue while baking, but if it's an extra cost it wouldn't be worth it to me.

Have you considered switching to gas? Is that even an option? We are redoing our kitchen and switching to gas. We had a glass cook top and separate wall oven. The glass cook top cracked and we had to replace it. I think I would opt for regular burners if I were shopping for an electric range. Cast iron cookware can scratch glass cooktops.

A couple things to consider that I wish I had when buying my oven.

1. If you switch to gas - make sure you can't accidentally bump the burner "on" switch. We've done this over and over and over again.

2. Bring your pans in and make sure they fit on the stovetop. I didn't. And, when I am making a big meal with a big pot on the back burner, my pots on the front feel like they're going to fall off the oven. VERY frustrating.

3. Make sure you have the size burners you want and where you want them. My stovetop has five burners. Love that. BUT, the bigger ones are in the front. So, if I am boiling a pot of water, I'd prefer it be on the back burner, but on my stovetop, that takes FOREVER because it's a smaller burner. Grrrr. So, I'll have a pot on the front when I really need that burner to be used for a stir fry or something else. Annoying.

Ugh, I do have gas heat, so I have gas in my house and would need to run a line to the kitchen. This raises my price considerably especially if I look at dual fuel stoves. Also, I had gas in a temp apartment for 5 months last year. My daughter and I hate the smell, but my husband and son neveruneven noticed it. I WANT two ovens, but they'd have to fit I the 30" range slot. What if I did the ceramic range and bought an induction burner to use for cast iron/cast enamel? Like this: http://www.amazon.com/1800-Watt-Portable-Induction-Countertop-8100MC/dp/B0045QEPYM/ref=wl_mb_hu_m_2_dp

I'm starting to wish that I can just find an electric range with coils AND a double oven, but it doesn't seem to exist.

1. If you switch to gas - make sure you can't accidentally bump the burner "on" switch. We've done this over and over and over again.

2. Bring your pans in and make sure they fit on the stovetop. I didn't. And, when I am making a big meal with a big pot on the back burner, my pots on the front feel like they're going to fall off the oven. VERY frustrating.

3. Make sure you have the size burners you want and where you want them. My stovetop has five burners. Love that. BUT, the bigger ones are in the front. So, if I am boiling a pot of water, I'd prefer it be on the back burner, but on my stovetop, that takes FOREVER because it's a smaller burner. Grrrr. So, I'll have a pot on the front when I really need that burner to be used for a stir fry or something else. Annoying.

I'm glad you brought my attention to burner size/location. So many had all of the small burners in the back.

After talking to my mom, who uses cast iron on her smooth top every day, I took the plunge and got an electric smooth-top double oven. The small oven is on top and the large one is a convection oven. I'm tempted to add onthe extended warranty (which I never do). It'll arrive next week. I lose my lid drawer, so I'll have to find a home for all of my pot lids. I'd better love this thing. Ugh. I HATE shopping.

A84ECEB6-71AC-4BEF-8E4B-A8CCB85CDFC1-14397-000019AD12B6F4A3.jpg

Mine has 2 high btu burners. One is in back, but the biggest one in is front. It can be kind of irritating. I'm thinking that in most kitchens, people are putting microwaves over their range though. Makes for a little less room back there for tall pots. Maybe that's why?

Mine is a Frigidaire Gallery stove. It does have a double oven, but the bottom oven is the same size as a warming drawer (It does both actually.) I loved the idea of the 2 bigger ovens, but decided against it when I realized the bigger oven was on the bottom. Might not have been an issue, but if cook something heavy (like a turkey) you'll be lifting it almost from the floor.

I'm glad you brought my attention to burner size/location. So many had all of the small burners in the back.

After talking to my mom, who uses cast iron on her smooth top every day, I took the plunge and got an electric smooth-top double oven. The small oven is on top and the large one is a convection oven. I'm tempted to add onthe extended warranty (which I never do). It'll arrive next week. I lose my lid drawer, so I'll have to find a home for all of my pot lids. I'd better love this thing. Ugh. I HATE shopping.

OOooooh! Pretty!

And I'm a gas girl. :001_smile: