Menu

Hmmm...

Mama Geek

I just got an e-mail from a high school friends son asking for money to take a trip overseas. I have exchanged Christmas cards for years with the friend, but I haven't seen or talked to her in probably 10 years. Her son was maybe a year old when I saw him. Really kind of strange, what would you do?

I just got an e-mail from a high school friends son asking for money to take a trip overseas. I have exchanged Christmas cards for years with the friend, but I haven't seen or talked to her in probably 10 years. Her son was maybe a year old when I saw him. Really kind of strange, what would you do?

Bold move on his part. But this kind of grinding of every acquaintance you've ever had is encouraged today. I'd be so tempted to tell him to get a job and save all his money. If he accomplishes that and is close to his goal, I'd consider pitching in. But just to canvass people to give him money. Um, no.

Is it with a group or is it a service trip? If it's just a personal trip then...weird. If it is with a group they might be getting pressure to fundraise and even be encouraged to 'ask everyone' and 'send an email to every address you have'.

He is going as a student ambassador through some program.

I am getting more and more against fundraising. If you can't come close to being able to afford to do something like this without having to ask everyone that you know for money why sign your kid up for it. My guess is the kid is too young to hold down a regular job.

I am not against helping people out, we have helped out several different people in much different situations, some that were in dire need and some that worked hard in school and continued on to higher education. But we actually have relationships with these people.

Best to just assume it was a mass email because the organization is pressuring the kids to ask everyone they know, and just ignore it.

I get pretty sick of these things too, especially since it's often (but not always) just a resume-building feel-good glorified vacation. Pay for it yourself. That's what I do/did when I want to travel.

I guess I am in the minority. I would send $20 or whatever I could afford. Those opportunities are great for kids. I have three kids, and if they all went on a $2500 trip to learn about another culture or something I could not afford to send them all. Schools ususally do fundraisers to send kids on band trips and other events, so this seems normal to me. If we all help each other out a little bit, then our kids can do some awesome things to help them learn and grow. Just my .02

I guess I am in the minority. I would send $20 or whatever I could afford. Those opportunities are great for kids. I have three kids, and if they all went on a $2500 trip to learn about another culture or something I could not afford to send them all. Schools ususally do fundraisers to send kids on band trips and other events, so this seems normal to me. If we all help each other out a little bit, then our kids can do some awesome things to help them learn and grow. Just my .02

Like I said I don't mind helping someone out. If a kid that I am close to calls me and says hey, I really want to go to Europe and I have the chance to but am short X amount of money, I would probably send them some.

This was pretty much a form letter from someone that I met when they were a baby and whose parents I haven't talked to in years other than by Christmas cards.

I would also much rather pay for my kid to be in an activity than to have to do fund raising