Menu

1st grade phonics, FLL, and WWE

Blessed mom

I have used/am using OPGTR for phonics, and for spelling I use the free Zaner-Bloser list. I can't link you since I am on an iPad, but if you google "spelling connections zaner bloser" it should come up. It is a 1-8 grade progression of rule-based lists, with activities.

We've used Spelling Workout this year (cross between K and 1). I think that it's okay but not great. DD thinks that it's boring except for the crossword puzzles. We have made it through A and the first 5 lessons of B. This weekend I told DD that she could be done with spelling for the year. Next year we'll start again with something else. I'm eager to hear recommendations on other programs.

ETA: We finished 100EL in September. DD reads well and devours books. She rarely has a problem sounding out a new word. If she does, we talk about the phonics rule that she should have used. She seems to get more out of this than the spelling book.

We're not technically in first grade, but:

For phonics we're on the second half of OPGTR, and we use the EtC and Primary Phonics workbooks. She's a very good speller, so I kind of just rely on the phonics stuff for spelling instruction. FLL for grammar and WWE for writing.

After a really bad time with Spelling Workout, we started Spell to Write and Read. We are now in our third year, and it has worked out beautifully. I am now using it to teach my 5yo to read.

The one thing that I recommend to anyone that is researching spelling programs is to find out about explicit phonics programs before deciding. Not everyone needs that much spelling instruction. I don't know that we necessarily need it, but I would rather put in the effort now rather than remediate later.

My dd completed Abeka phonics, but I wouldn't do that again.

Ds will be using FLL, along with the WWE text next year, AAR for phonics, and AAS for spelling.

Hi Nicole, I'm going to be using this lineup very shortly, except with ABeka phonics. I am very interested to hear why you wouldn't do that again! I've thought about switching to AAR, but thought it wasn't worth the money to change over, when I already have so much ABeka stuff.

Hi Nicole, I'm going to be using this lineup very shortly, except with ABeka phonics. I am very interested to hear why you wouldn't do that again! I've thought about switching to AAR, but thought it wasn't worth the money to change over, when I already have so much ABeka stuff.

pm'd you! :)

We used FLL and WWE alongside Spell to Write and Read. As a matter of fact, they complement each other so well that we've continued to use this combo. :)

http://www.morningstarlearning.com/Morning_Star_Learning/What_is_Spell_to_Write_and_Read.html

I'm really glad to read this has been a good combo as this is my plan for next year. We have done SWR this year for K & loved it.