Menu

How does one go about starting a blog? Sometimes I think they are things people do

for attention/approval or something, and sometimes I think they might be fun and therapeutic and give me a sense of accomplishment. Or, maybe I think it's the newest form of socializing that people do...like it's a way to really get to know people better. I love it when you ladies have blogs and I can read them and find out how you do things, etc. But, sometimes I'm worried that it would be tempting to just put cool stuff on there and not where I'm failing in life, you know? Haha. Sometimes my sister and I read people's blogs and say how that person is just trying to be so awesome, and I don't want to be that way. Anyway, say I wanted to try it....where do you go? Blogs-r-us?

We blog! But I don't really give out the address to people, other than close friends and family who may be interested in something we are doing. I am a writer - have a BA in English and all thay jazz - but really, just deep down in my soul I have always been a writer. This journey, for us, has been tumultuous and amazing all at the same time and I want to always remember our early days...and days to come. So for me, it is definitely a theraputic, cathartic kind of gig. :)

First, find the blogging site you like best. We use homeschooljournal.net, but there are plenty of others. Check out your friend's blogs and see which one you like best in terms of style, layout, and so on. There are ones I like better than the one I have, but no way i want to start all over. Anyway, just sign up and get your site and start blogging away!

I'm very, very non-technical, and I found setting up a blog on Blogspot was super easy, even for me. Thru the fun of doing that, I've learned a little more and feel a touch more capable--but they really walk you thru it, so even someone like me can feel more capable than she really is!:D

I started Blogging because I needed to express myself, and I wanted to share both the positive and the neg of my life--but I don't share as much of the neg as I'd like, b/c most of it involves other people and my reactions to them, and I am a clergy wife, so I don't have the total freedom I'd like--and, I enjoy showing some pictures, so I can't be rude or anything, since parishoners and others will see them.

Have fun!

I also use blogspot for my blog. Free and easy to use.

I started it to give accountability to my writing life. I share what I know and learn from others on the subject of a creative life, gardening, quilting, etc. The best part is when commenters start sharing.

It's been a fun experience. The added benefit is having a picture of your life in writing and photographs. It really becomes a journal of sorts.

I started one to try and find my own voice in writing. I decided that if am going to be effective at trying to draw this out of my children, I had better do a little practice myself. Now, my family likes hearing about the kids and seeing pics and such. I haven't been regularly posting lately. About 2 times a week is all. Sometimes things come to me and sometimes they don't. I am using xanga and like it. Nice and easy.

Hm, well, I definitely do it for all of those reasons: attention, approval, accountability, awe. ;) I began my blogging life in a small network of long distance friends, with a blog that was closed to people I didn't know. It was a way for us to stay in touch. Folks began to say, "Oh, wow, I love the way you write," and, "With an editor, this could be a book." I figured it was flattery, but eventually the and "Can I share this with a friend?" requests got to me and I made my blog public. Then I realized I was writing mostly about homeschooling, so I decided to jump into that blogging community, and joined homeschooljournal.net. I try to write only what I'd want to see another blogger write about. And no one wants to see a blogger who is perfect; we want bloggers who are like us.

I started blogging originally as a way to stay connected with friends/family. Over time, though, I've discovered that they seldom read it! When they do, they never comment.

I have 2 blogs - one dedicated to homeschooling and one dedicated to my other passions - running and scrapbooking. Both are essentially journals whereby I record a little of everything, both good and bad. However, I don't post anything I wouldn't want my neighbor to know.

I used to keep a paper journal (blank book purchased at a book store) but do so no longer. I love the interactive nature of an online journal or blog. I love getting feedback from others who share my passions.

I have always used blogger or blogspot. It's free and is very flexible, particularly when you become familiar with html (which isn't necessary by any means).

I blog because I like to make people laugh. Yeah, I like the approval and the attention. I love getting comments and hearing that I gave them maybe a moment of joy. Maybe.

Yes, I read some blogs that the author makes her life out to be something it's not. "Oh!...I'm so humble. Oh! I don't make any money doing this!" B.S. They're no different than you except they have writers and probably other staff that keep their blog successful. Some bloggers are making $40,000 a month! Sure, I'd love to make enough money to buy curriculum or, what the heck, support my family. But it's not easy. I've done the research.

I've given up on the money making part of blogging. I just do it for fun and accountability for home organization. So, please come to my blog and leave comments and prove to me you love me. :D

I blog on blogspot. I mostly do it to keep in touch with others, and I also do it as a journal of sorts. Just read and you will know I am being real. There's nothing awesome about it, except beautiful pictures of my girls! It's a neat way to stay connected. I only do an entry about 1-2 times a month. I don't have time to do more. Here is the addy, just in case you want to check it out. http://www.chickymomma.blogspot.com

Sometimes my sister and I read people's blogs and say how that person is just trying to be so awesome, and I don't want to be that way.
Really? I've never even thought to think that! :001_huh: Anyway, I just haven't had the time to figure out how to blog, though I'd like to.

Rich With Kids, How do people make money with blogging? See how naive I am?! :001_smile:

I also have a blog on blogspot. It's mostly about homeschooling stuff but occasionally I'll put in stuff from a vacation. All of our family lives 500-2000 miles away so this was a way for them to "keep up" with the goings on in our family. I also have a few in my family that aren't to sure about the "homeschooling" thing as they call it. So it's also a way to post some of my kids work to show them that I really do teach them and don't sit around eating bon bons all day like some think.:ohmy:

I've been using Blogger (aka: Blogspot?) for mine too and like it. I consider it something of a creative outlet -- I don't scrapbook, knit, paint, garden and DH wishes that I wouldn't cook. So I blog. I don't put pictures of us on there or use real names. And who doesn't like a bit of positive attention now and then, right?

So enjoy, have fun and let us know your url!!