Menu

My Day at the Library

PachiSusan

It was frustrating - I'll tell you that much. I needed one of these today: :chillpill:

I'm in a new state. I have to get a library card, but I don't have one yet, so I borrowed MIL's. Expired.

I applied for one in my name but I forgot that I needed proof of address, which I didn't have with me and upon thinking about it, I didn't think I HAD anything.

We left the books we had already chosen there and came home to see if I had any proof of address. I finally found my closing out bill from Cox that was in my name and took it down and got the card.

Then, we went to check on the availability of some other books and they had none of the ones *I* wanted but Melissa found quite a few. I admit most of them are brain candy.

We were getting hungry by now, so I went to check out and they have some sensor thing that reads the chip in the book automatically. Well, one would not check out. Turns out a Mrs. Johnson had checked it out previously but it was never checked back IN at the Library when she returned it. She had a HEFTY fine that I hope they reversed since it was their fault.

We finally got the books all checked out after going through 2 attendants and one librarian. I hope we like our books!

Oh, and did I say that one of them was The Story of the World Volume 1 ? :D

Well, Our first day at a new library and the children's librarian "helper" (clerk, not sure what she was) yelled at DS8 for taking out too many books to read :glare:

My son asked (after she left), "Isn't that what books are for??" Seriously he had like 8 books (for history and science reading). :confused1:

I wanted to tell her, those won't last 2 days. :laugh:

Well, Our first day at a new library and the children's librarian "helper" (clerk, not sure what she was) yelled at DS8 for taking out too many books to read :glare:

My son asked (after she left), "Isn't that what books are for??" Seriously he had like 8 books (for history and science reading). :confused1:

I wanted to tell her, those won't last 2 days. :laugh:

Oh that is so wrong!!! This librarian was so nice. She walked Melissa around the entire area, showed her where the different types of books are, and gave her a flyer for Tuesday fun clubs!

I'm so sorry she was rude to your son!

Wow, our library has a 10 item limit. I hate it! Sometimes we have to use multiple cards to get out all the school & fun books we want.

SOTW.. hehehe. We'll drag you to the dark side yet! :laugh:

Like I said, I'm not opposed to anything from any philosophy...however, I think we both like twaddle too much to do full classical education. :drool5:

We have a librarian who does story time for preschoolers and is a total shrew :(. I'm not sure how they pick who does story time, but you'd think a librarian who enjoys and likes children would be a bit of must. Luckily they rotate who does it, so the other 3 volunteers / librarians are excellent :), but this one, sheesh!

Getting started with and learning a new system can be a pain. I'm still getting used to our library after 2 years. It's pretty awesome, but I still miss how our old library shelved things.

We have a 50 item limit. I have an institution card (home schools are allowed to get one) that has the same 50 item limit, but has a 5 week check out period rather than the standard 3 weeks, and has no fines. I also have a personal card. Then my 13 year old, 11 year old, and 5 year old all have their own cards. Another nice thing is that I can go to the library without my kids, see that they have holds, and still pick them up for them without their cards or card numbers. I just take them up and say, "My son had these holds. Can I check them out for him?" Currently we have 57 books and 1 movie checked out. Most of them are about World War 1.

Our library is also part of a 5 county (I think) system, so I can put holds on books from any of those libraries as if they are in my local library.

For a second, I thought you'd moved to my town. But then you said your library had a copy of SOTW and the librarian was nice... so, you definitely didn't move here.

They are talking about closing one of our libraries. I honestly think that some of the rudeness and ineptness is responsible for the closure.

They once threatened to make me pay for 10 books that they failed to check in. Uhhh... if I'm going to have to buy books anyways, then what is the point of using the library?

For a second, I thought you'd moved to my town. But then you said your library had a copy of SOTW and the librarian was nice... so, you definitely didn't move here.

They are talking about closing one of our libraries. I honestly think that some of the rudeness and ineptness is responsible for the closure.

They once threatened to make me pay for 10 books that they failed to check in. Uhhh... if I'm going to have to buy books anyways, then what is the point of using the library?

I had that happen and I screamed holy HELL until they took it off my bill. I was willing to go to the White house if need be.

We love our library!

50 book limit. We have 3 cards. We never use that limit anymore but when the kids were younger we often used 2 cards.

My favorite feature? That I can go online and request books for free. Up to 20 at a time. And they magically appear on the hold shelf with a note to email to come get them. Amazingly easy!

Hope your next trip is easy, Susan!

You guys are making me have library envy. We have a small library, small town, and selection is very limited. I'd faint if they had anything like SOTW on the shelves! ILL costs money even if they don't find the book. :confused1: So I have never used ILL.

They have WTM as well, but it's got a 10 person waiting list. So do the other SOTW - they have one copy of each volume and someone "lost" the audio CD's. Uh uh...

You guys are making me have library envy. We have a small library, small town, and selection is very limited. I'd faint if they had anything like SOTW on the shelves! ILL costs money even if they don't find the book. :confused1: So I have never used ILL.

:crying:

:grouphug: