Menu

Social Group: Gluten and Wheat Free

Unicorn.

So I contacted the bakery that made me sick. The response was basically, Sorry about your illness. However, all our products are gf and baked in a gf facility and would you like me to check for other ingredients besides gluten that you may have a problem with?

Um, no. Because I do not break out in dermatitis herpetiformis from anything except GLUTEN. I do not suffer from panic attacks from anything except gluten. I do not get arrhythmia from anything other than, you guessed it, gluten.

So considering that I ate NOTHING except a chocolate covered strawberry and a cupcake from that bakery and I drank nothing except a bottle of water.....there is no where else I could have gotten gluten from. I even made sure not to touch the table with my hands before eating my cupcake.

So basically some where, some how gluten got on one or both of the two items. All it takes is one employee making a mistake and it's all over. Yeah, I'm telling everyone everywhere to not eat at Babycakes in Downtown Disney.

The Gluten Free Fun blog/site's topic of the day: S.e.x and the Celiac: dating while Gluten Free.

This isn't something I had considered to be problematic.

Although kissing someone who has just downed a plate of pasta and 6 breadsticks could be an issue.

:001_cool:

You know that is probably true. Having not kissed anyone in a long time, I hadn't thought of that. LOL :D

The only "Chineese" restaurant I will take my daughter to is P.F. Changs. They have a GF menu and they are meticulous. It takes a long time to get your meal but that's because they use clean/fresh everything. Living in the Pacific NW we gave tons of Asian restaurants, but they all use Kikoman soy sauce and don't nderstand enough English to understand so we just don't risk it, which is a shame as my daughter loves Chineese.

If you come across Pei Wei they also have gluten free Chinese.

So annoying when a product has been consistantly GF, so I eat it w/o checking and then start having issues.

Last night my husband brought me home some Resse's PB cups for Valentine's Day. Later in the evening I started having issues, but I couldn't think of any way I could have consumed gluten. Today it's worse. As I'm finishing the PB cups I think to read the package. "May contain wheat" :glare: Since when!?! geesh. I'm bummed and kind of having a not so good day because of it. Oh well, lesson learned, again.

Last month it was some soup mixes from Costco that were labeled as GF, only one of the boxes in the package of three wasn't. How nice.

I have been having symptoms the last two days and your post made me wonder about my valentine treats, Hershey's hearts. Yup, sure enough a quick Google shows that others are having reactions to them too.

That explains everything.

At least I know to give away the rest of the candies. :(

KH - I know what you mean about declining food. Some people just don't understand.

Yes, it's exhausting to have to read every single package every single time just in case something has changed.

And people think I'm being an attention seeking diva when I use caution and decline eating something or somewhere.

I have been having symptoms the last two days and your post made me wonder about my valentine treats, Hershey's hearts. Yup, sure enough a quick Google shows that others are having reactions to them too.

That explains everything.

At least I know to give away the rest of the candies. :(

KH - I know what you mean about declining food. Some people just don't understand.

I know :( I didn't go our Shrove Tuesday pancake thing at church. I didn't really feel like making GF pancakes beforehand to bring. Someone said, "But you can still eat the sausage etc. right?" Well maybe, but maybe not, and why subject myself to that if I don't need to. So my family went and I spent a quiet, child free evening at home. All-in-all it wasn't a bad conpromise ;)

I seem to be getting more and more sensitive to it as time goes by. Stupid gluten.

Anyway, yeah, I'm getting tired of explaining. Sometimes when we're t functions they'll say "Well at least you can eat the fruit and veggies," with a nice big smile. Um, no. I'm allergic to them too. And that leads to a whole nother round.

I know :( I didn't go our Shrove Tuesday pancake thing at church. I didn't really feel like making GF pancakes beforehand to bring. Someone said, "But you can still eat the sausage etc. right?" Well maybe, but maybe not, and why subject myself to that if I don't need to. So my family went and I spent a quiet, child free evening at home. All-in-all it wasn't a bad conpromise ;)

I seem to be getting more and more sensitive to it as time goes by. Stupid gluten.

Anyway, yeah, I'm getting tired of explaining. Sometimes when we're t functions they'll say "Well at least you can eat the fruit and veggies," with a nice big smile. Um, no. I'm allergic to them too. And that leads to a whole nother round.

The longer I stay gluten free the stronger my reaction when I am glutened. :(

i havent had a noticeable reaction in at least a year, i think . . but i really gave up on ever eating anything i dont make. and i did learn that if i can smell it, i can react to it, so i'm more cautious. but i do wonder if, 5 years out, my reaction has died down a little.

So annoying when a product has been consistantly GF, so I eat it w/o checking and then start having issues.

Last night my husband brought me home some Resse's PB cups for Valentine's Day. Later in the evening I started having issues, but I couldn't think of any way I could have consumed gluten. Today it's worse. As I'm finishing the PB cups I think to read the package. "May contain wheat" :glare: Since when!?! geesh. I'm bummed and kind of having a not so good day because of it. Oh well, lesson learned, again.

Last month it was some soup mixes from Costco that were labeled as GF, only one of the boxes in the package of three wasn't. How nice.

Was it a holiday shaped one? What I read online was the regular Reeses cups are GF but the holiday shaped ones are not.

I was in my local grocery store today. They moved the gluten free stuff to a new location. Want to know where? Right next to the bread. Yep. YOu have to walk all the way down the bread aisle to get to the gluten free section. Right there, actually touching the regular bread, are all the gluten free breads, pastas, cookies, etc. Right next to and even touching the regular bread.

I really wonder whose super genius idea that was. "Hey, let's move the gluten free food to the bread aisle. What a great idea!" :glare: :smash:

I was in my local grocery store today. They moved the gluten free stuff to a new location. Want to know where? Right next to the bread. Yep. YOu have to walk all the way down the bread aisle to get to the gluten free section. Right there, actually touching the regular bread, are all the gluten free breads, pastas, cookies, etc. Right next to and even touching the regular bread.

I really wonder whose super genius idea that was. "Hey, let's move the gluten free food to the bread aisle. What a great idea!" :glare: :smash:

That's where the pre packeged gf stuff is in our grocery store! Same aisle, opposite side though. Except the gf flours, they are on the flour aisle, with all the other flours...Bob's Red Mill gf, right next to the vital wheat gluten!

Take this concern to the management of the store. My friend has a ds with celiacs and she will go to the management and explain that these type of setups are not ideal. She has gotten a good response from some stores and they actually moved things.

I am curious how you handle grocery shopping as a Celiac. When I was a cashier during high school and college, I always had flour all over my hands from leaking bags, flour all over the belt, flour in the carts, flour leaked out on the aisle floors, etc. etc. It seems like just buying food at the store could become a contamination nightmare. Or is it not that big of a problem?

We are going to take a one night trip and I was wondering if anyone could tell me any restaurant chains that offer gluten free food that you trust. I'm feeling kinda overwhelmed and have no idea what I can eat. Thanks!

I don't know how careful you have to be, but dd gets salads from Subway. Wendy's has been mentioned as having safe foods (baked potatoes, fries, fruit, can't remember if their chili is safe or not)

Dd can have dominoes, but I know most people can't, so ...

When dd first went gf, the only places she could eat were Mexican food, BBQ, Wendy's, and Chick fil et. (chick filet has grilled nuggets, salads, fruit, and I think their fries are safe- but I'm not 100% sure)

Hopefully, someone who is more sensitive will chime in. Dd doesn't have to worry about cross contamination (at least not yet)

I am curious how you handle grocery shopping as a Celiac. When I was a cashier during high school and college, I always had flour all over my hands from leaking bags, flour all over the belt, flour in the carts, flour leaked out on the aisle floors, etc. etc. It seems like just buying food at the store could become a contamination nightmare. Or is it not that big of a problem?

First, I've learned to never ever put anything in my mouth with my hands when I'm out. Not even a piece of gum. For gum I unwrap the top portion only and then pull in my mouth with my teeth. I have to be sure that anything the goes in my mouth does not touch my hands.

I wash all produce before putting it in my fridge. Containers I don't usually bother. I guess that's because I wash my hands before serving food and then again before eating it. I just obsessively wash my hands.

I don't walk through the bakery portion of the store at all. Flour hangs in the air. Also the little station where there is sometimes a person cooking for samples I make a wide detour if I spot a bag of flour being used.

Today, I ran in for some gf pasta. Someone had thrown a whole wheat pita bread package right on top of the gf breads. I picked it up and threw it to the gluten side. Stupid person who did that has no clue that they are endangering another person's health by their carelessness.

I, too, hate the smell of the bread aisle. Perhaps I will write an email.

Does anyone here suffer from celiac dermetitis herpetiformis? I do. Do you have anything from the doctor that helps?

We are going to take a one night trip and I was wondering if anyone could tell me any restaurant chains that offer gluten free food that you trust. I'm feeling kinda overwhelmed and have no idea what I can eat. Thanks!

I'm not sure how widespread they are, BJ's here is good - they have an allergy menu if you ask for it upfront.

We recently returned from an overnight and used allergyeats.com to find restaurants.

I don't know how careful you have to be, but dd gets salads from Subway. Wendy's has been mentioned as having safe foods (baked potatoes, fries, fruit, can't remember if their chili is safe or not)

Dd can have dominoes, but I know most people can't, so ...

When dd first went gf, the only places she could eat were Mexican food, BBQ, Wendy's, and Chick fil et. (chick filet has grilled nuggets, salads, fruit, and I think their fries are safe- but I'm not 100% sure)

Hopefully, someone who is more sensitive will chime in. Dd doesn't have to worry about cross contamination (at least not yet)

I may be overly sensitive at the moment because I am in the middle of a gluten reaction but...

I don't trust any restaurant right now. Cross contamination last Friday (8 days ago) started it, today's lunch frustration at KFC (not a gluten free friendly chain at all; I ended up skipping lunch all together) and getting sick within 30 mins of eating a salad (it had to be cross contamination) at Panera this evening has me at my wit's end. I know Panera cannot guarantee anything on their menu is GF but the employee worked with me on my order and even brought the allergen book to the register so we could both verify the ingredients and my order. I assumed his attention and care would trickle back to the guys preparing my salad. Obviously not. :(

I have yet to find a Mexican restaurant in which I can eat without becoming sick. I do eat at Chik-fil-A (twice in the big city) and have had luck with the grilled chicken and waffle fries.

DS went snowboarding today and is also suffering from being glutened. He ordered fries and I am 100% sure they were cooked in the same grease as the chicken strips. He is a neophyte at having to order GF for himself and thought he could handle the fries. I know he'll learn and it is so difficult those first few months, esp. for a teen.

If I were going on an overnight, I would pack myself some 'treat' foods, foods I rarely cook at home and take those along. If cooking or reheating aren't options I would more than likely only eat raw vegetables.

Others may still chime in with recommendations. I live in a small town with very few GF options and we rarely go to the bigger cities to dine so my experience is quite limited.

We did have a really hard time eating out on vacation this past week. We've gotten to know the restaurants here that are good, but struggled in a new place. DS got sick twice :-( (although once DH got sick as well, so he suspects the oil may have been rancid for the fries -Ugh!). It was hard - we ate later than usual because we spent so long analyzing restaurants and then by the 2nd day we must have seemed like maniacs ordering.

• 4 weeks later...

So I've been doing some playing around and baking, and have discovered the "recipe" for the perfect chocolate chip cookies! My son says these are even better than original cc cookies made w/ wheat! High praise from him! I use this mix as a cup for cup, add a bit of xanthan gum, and then follow the recipe on the Nestle Choco chip bag. I also use 1 stick of real butter, and 1 stick of margarine- (country crock brand). I do think using two oils makes a difference too.

Mix:

1 part sweet rice flour (I'm sure reg white rice flour would be fine)

1 part Quinoa flour

2/3 part potato starch

1/3 part tapioca starch

For cookies, I use 1 1/2 tsp xanthan gum.

Yesterday, I made homemade doughnuts and they were amazing! They taste just like funnel cakes! After mixing, I realized that I could have used my mix from above, because the original mixture I made mine from, used brown rice too. I just switched it from brown rice to quinoa! So next time, I'll just use my mix for the doughnuts.

Original doughnut recipe is here: http://www.food.com/recipe/amazing-gluten-free-buttermilk-donuts-doughnuts-201483

I hope someone finds this useful!