Menu

Social Group: Gluten and Wheat Free

Unicorn.

As so many on here are gluten free, I thought I'd start a group for us. Maybe it will make it easier to have a designated place to go for answers to questions, share recipes, etc. I made it gluten/wheat free, because dd is allergic to wheat, so she has gone gluten free, but she isn't celiac.

So my first question is this: If you are non celiac gluten free due to a wheat allergy/intolerance, how strict are you when buying products? For instance, if a salad dressing doesn't say gluten free, but doesn't list wheat as a possible allergen, do you avoid it, or is that ok?

You know, starting a social group online is much easier than starting one in person! I don't have to dress up, or provide snacks, or smile til my face hurts. :D Ok, consider yourselves served w/ virtual gluten free refreshments, because I don't want to be a lousy host!

thanks for having me over!

I was actually 'diagnosed' as allergic to wheat and dairy as an infant, through food challenge. The main symptom was frequent diarrhea. they had me off dairy and wheat for a few months and then put me back on them, and I seemed fine.

My sister went to an allergist and was allergic to milk, and thats when they told me about the milk allergy i'd had as a kid. Later in college, i realized i didnt like wheat much - i preferred my sandwiches open-faced (less bread) and didnt like wheat-based cereals and snack foods. that was when my mom told me I was also allergic to wheat as a baby.

I had stomach problems my whole life, but so did my dad, so I thought that was just normal and didnt really put two and two together. But as I would read up about various minor ailments i had, often they would say things like "if there was a history of milk allergy, that can be a trigger"

finally i had a year off of work, staying home w my youngest for the year before he went to kindergarten. I decided to quit wheat and milk and could NOT believe how much better i felt. But i could tell some things were still bothering me. I went through a mail-order sensitivity test and an allergy test through a local doctor - i reacted to 90% of the foods the allergist tested me for. I started off with 20 safe foods and spent years challenge-testing every food.

That pre-k kid is now in 4th grade. I'm feeling much healthier and only have about 15 or so things I still have to avoid.

My celiac test came out negative, but i'm very sensitive - i can react airborne. My husband was the one who realized i was getting sick every time we had spaghetti even tho i used separate pots and colanders. I have so many allergies that i cant buy much pre-made, and even things that look safe i often react to - like canned beans bother me where dried ones dont. So i make everything i eat from scratch, but buy some for others - like spag sauce and salad dressing. I make bread for me that the boys will eat, but the teen also makes a sandwich bread for them which includes things i'm allergic to (tapioca, sorghum, xanthan)

my recipes are a bit crazy . . . because i have so many allergies. when i first started i was off eggs, too - and i still think eating them straight isnt a great idea, but in baked goods it seems ok. so some of the recipes on my blog are not things i use any more because baking with eggs comes out so much better. i also try not to bake too much, because the teen and I need to watch our weight!

If you are non celiac gluten free due to a wheat allergy/intolerance, how strict are you when buying products? For instance, if a salad dressing doesn't say gluten free, but doesn't list wheat as a possible allergen, do you avoid it, or is that ok?

This really changes on a person to person basis. I tend to not buy processed products - so this doesn't apply to me too much. However, when buying soy sauce, hot chocolate, etc - I make sure it says gluten free. If I'm somewhere and they don't have something that is specifically gluten free, I do the best I can. It doesn't effect me too much when it's just trace amounts, I just like to avoid the possibility of getting sick as much as I can. :)

My diet tends to be made up of meat, veggies, butter, and chocolate, haha. The highest quality stuff I can afford at the time (for example, right now I'm stuck with grain-fed beef, but once we move back to the PNW in October, we'll be buying at least quarter of a fully grass-fed cow), but it's not perfect, especially being just out of college (and just getting started with careers).

I'm in. :)

DS is allergic to wheat (among many other foods), but not Celiac. I tend to buy gluten free as it's easier, but I would be okay with buying something that didn't list wheat as an ingredient or a "may contain."

It probably depends on the allergy and the person's reaction though. For DS, he is anaphylactic to many foods, but wheat has never caused ana - though technically it's an IgE allergy and it *could* ... but since for DS it causes worsened asthma and eczema, not out and out anaphylactic shock, I am less stringent about making sure companies label for "may contains." Does that make sense?

Normally I won't just buy any brand of *whatever* until I've verified with the company that they go above and beyond labeling laws and actually label if something is manufactured on the same lines as one of his allergens. It's just too risky, IMO. But with wheat, I don't necessarily worry about similar lines because his reaction is usually manageable.

Just to be totally clear - DS is allergic (ana) to peanuts, tree nuts, banana, sesame. He is technically (allergist confirmed) allergic to wheat. Possibly to rice, milk and soy, though we are not avoiding those at the moment. I am hoping those results from the allergist were false positives!

I am not diagnosed Celiac, but become horribly ill when I eat the tiniest bit of gluten. Doc has encouraged me to go gluten free for years, but I didn't do it till DS had to! I'm also allergic to spinach and egg yolk.

Looking forward to sharing/learning!

dbmamaz- :grouphug: , you really have a lot to watch out for! I am a bit concerned about dairy, and have taken dd off of milk, but I do allow yogurt and cheese. She drinks almond milk, but mostly just uses it for cereal. I was concerned about eggs too, but she seems to be doing ok. In some ways, not being celiac is easier, as she doesn't get sick... it does however seem to affect her skin condition (CRP and undiagnosed "eczema" on her hands). I had planned to take her in for allergy testing, but I'm starting to think it's pointless. I have a friend whose dc are highly reactive to latex. So much so that the allergist prescribed epi-pens for them, but they test negative.

Fiona-I'm especially wondering about soy sauce. Dd does fairly well picking out gf, but she likes Chinese food. Here at home we get the gf kind, but when she's over at a friends house, and they go out to eat it's harder. Her friends parents try really hard to make sure that she has gf food available when she's over there, but last time they went out for chinese, and I'm wondering if her flare up was a result of soy sauce.

Lovethislife- Nice to see you!

Thanks for starting up this group! :) DS is the one in our family who is gluten-free, due to a non-celiac gluten sensitivity. He's also off of a variety of other foods, but I'll stay on topic. ;)

So my first question is this: If you are non celiac gluten free due to a wheat allergy/intolerance, how strict are you when buying products? For instance, if a salad dressing doesn't say gluten free, but doesn't list wheat as a possible allergen, do you avoid it, or is that ok?

We buy very few processed foods, so that helps us steer clear of gluten. For the few processed foods we do buy for DS, I try to stick with products designated as gluten-free. But if an item has very few ingredients, and I don't recognize "code for gluten" in anything listed on the label, I will try those products and see how he does with them. DS's reactions to gluten are primarily behavioral, not physical. So if he gets "glutened", it doesn't cause any pain for him. It just causes pain for the rest of the family in the form of extra hyperactivity, oppositionality, aggression, etc. for the next 1-2 days. :blink:

If the old social groups start up again I started a GF social group. There was lots of good things there and I posted several recipes. I hope they eventually get that back up and running.

Yes, I miss the old social groups, which is why I started this one. I thought they said they were back, but I couldn't find them!

I'm in. :)

DS is allergic to wheat (among many other foods), but not Celiac. I tend to buy gluten free as it's easier, but I would be okay with buying something that didn't list wheat as an ingredient or a "may contain."

It probably depends on the allergy and the person's reaction though. For DS, he is anaphylactic to many foods, but wheat has never caused ana - though technically it's an IgE allergy and it *could* ... but since for DS it causes worsened asthma and eczema, not out and out anaphylactic shock, I am less stringent about making sure companies label for "may contains." Does that make sense?

Normally I won't just buy any brand of *whatever* until I've verified with the company that they go above and beyond labeling laws and actually label if something is manufactured on the same lines as one of his allergens. It's just too risky, IMO. But with wheat, I don't necessarily worry about similar lines because his reaction is usually manageable.

Just to be totally clear - DS is allergic (ana) to peanuts, tree nuts, banana, sesame. He is technically (allergist confirmed) allergic to wheat. Possibly to rice, milk and soy, though we are not avoiding those at the moment. I am hoping those results from the allergist were false positives!

I am not diagnosed Celiac, but become horribly ill when I eat the tiniest bit of gluten. Doc has encouraged me to go gluten free for years, but I didn't do it till DS had to! I'm also allergic to spinach and egg yolk.

Looking forward to sharing/learning!

Yes, makes perfect sense! That's exactly why I'm asking. It's so hard to know if it's affecting dd, because if her CRP comes back, it means 6 months of antibiotics (minocycline). So on one hand, I don't want to risk it, but on the other, it sure would make things easier to know. I don't worry about cross cont. but there are plenty of other iffy's...like soy sauce!

Thanks for starting up this group! :) DS is the one in our family who is gluten-free, due to a non-celiac gluten sensitivity. He's also off of a variety of other foods, but I'll stay on topic. ;)

We buy very few processed foods, so that helps us steer clear of gluten. For the few processed foods we do buy for DS, I try to stick with products designated as gluten-free. But if an item has very few ingredients, and I don't recognize "code for gluten" in anything listed on the label, I will try those products and see how he does with them. DS's reactions to gluten are primarily behavioral, not physical. So if he gets "glutened", it doesn't cause any pain for him. It just causes pain for the rest of the family in the form of extra hyperactivity, oppositionality, aggression, etc. for the next 1-2 days. :blink:

Did you do allergy testing, or did you figure it out by elimination? I really think ds and dd2 need to be gf for a variety of reasons, but behavior is one of them!

Fiona-I'm especially wondering about soy sauce. Dd does fairly well picking out gf, but she likes Chinese food. Here at home we get the gf kind, but when she's over at a friends house, and they go out to eat it's harder. Her friends parents try really hard to make sure that she has gf food available when she's over there, but last time they went out for chinese, and I'm wondering if her flare up was a result of soy sauce.

Whenever I eat Chinese, I get sick. Soy sauce has wheat as an ingredient unless it's gluten free, and most restaurants don't have the gluten-free stuff.

Did you do allergy testing, or did you figure it out by elimination? I really think ds and dd2 need to be gf for a variety of reasons, but behavior is one of them!

We did both. We had the IgG blood test done first after suspecting that he might be reactive (just based on our observations). The test showed he was reactive to 9 different foods, with wheat/gluten being one that he was "highly reactive" to. We then started an elimination diet and "challenged" him with wheat after a few weeks - the improvement we saw when he was off of wheat, and the immediate reaction when wheat was added back in, confirmed the results.

He's now been on a restricted diet for over two years. In that time, we've been able to add one of his previously reactive foods back with no issues (eggs). I believe that his gut lining has healed to a certain extent due to the elimination of the reactive foods, and the addition of various anti-inflammatory supplements. Don't have any tests to back that up - that's just my conclusion based on my own research on food sensitivities and their treatment.

We'd ultimately like to be able to add most of the foods back, but eggs were a priority for us because he needed more protein in his diet. Plus we have chickens that keep us oversupplied with wonderful fresh eggs. :) I'm anticipating that gluten will be the last food we add back, if ever (as mentioned, he's definitely still very reactive to it at this time).

Whenever I eat Chinese, I get sick. Soy sauce has wheat as an ingredient unless it's gluten free, and most restaurants don't have the gluten-free stuff.

Yup, Chinese is a no-go for me, unless I make it from home. I use Braggs Liquid Aminos as a soy sauce replacement. I really miss lo mein that I don't have to clean up after.

Hi everyone!

As far as labeling, I typically don't buy specifically-labeled "may contain" foods, but I will buy a few things with a cross-contamination risk. I can eat the Honey Nut Cheerios knock-offs just fine. Soft corn tortillas are okay. I can usually eat restaurant tortilla chips just fine, but I cannot eat Domino's GF pizza. Just depends.

My DS and I are both Gluten Free. I have been GF for almost 2 years and DS began Jan 1, 2013. My intolerance is to all things containing gluten, not just wheat. I have to avoid malt, barley, etc. I also have a dairy allergy (but that's off topic).

I am very strict about what I buy and eat. Consuming even trace amounts of gluten leaves me ill for days. I have apps on my Kindle, a notebook full of GF foods and books with GF food recommendations. If I even think there might be a trace of gluten in something I won't buy it until I can verify the ingredients with the manufacturer.

We are still determining how severe DS's allergy/intolerance is. He eats what I buy for myself so his diet this past month has been fairly restrictive. He thinks he can handle mild cross-contamination/trace amounts but I am not so sure. He can't quite give up the cafeteria french fries yet.

DS is allergis to wheat (allergist confirmed but not anaphylactic - he is nut anaphylactic). I tend not to worry too much about manufactured in for wheat, and we're considering testing "regular" soy sauce. The only thing I currently get that I know could have cross contaminates is oats, but DS doesn't even like oatmeal, so he would very rarely get any.

However, tonight I got him a protein style burger from In and Out, usually fine, and it made him sick :-( . I'm sure the burger got cross contaminated. It makes me more leary about testing.

are other allergies really off topic? my experience is that in any gluten-free group many of the people have multiple sensitivities. it kinda goes along w the territory.

No they aren't. I considered making it a food allergy in general thread. If anyone wants to discuss other food issues, they should go right ahead.

DS is allergis to wheat (allergist confirmed but not anaphylactic - he is nut anaphylactic). I tend not to worry too much about manufactured in for wheat, and we're considering testing "regular" soy sauce.

Just butting in here, but FWIW, I recently bought a product at a natural food store called coconut aminos. It tastes like soy sauce and is gluten free. Whether it would be an issue for the tree nut allergy is another question (I have a ds allergic to tree nuts though he's much too picky to try any food so interesting as to involve soy sauce :tongue_smilie: )

The only "Chineese" restaurant I will take my daughter to is P.F. Changs. They have a GF menu and they are meticulous. It takes a long time to get your meal but that's because they use clean/fresh everything. Living in the Pacific NW we gave tons of Asian restaurants, but they all use Kikoman soy sauce and don't nderstand enough English to understand so we just don't risk it, which is a shame as my daughter loves Chineese.

DS is allergis to wheat (allergist confirmed but not anaphylactic - he is nut anaphylactic). I tend not to worry too much about manufactured in for wheat, and we're considering testing "regular" soy sauce. The only thing I currently get that I know could have cross contaminates is oats, but DS doesn't even like oatmeal, so he would very rarely get any.

However, tonight I got him a protein style burger from In and Out, usually fine, and it made him sick :-( . I'm sure the burger got cross contaminated. It makes me more leary about testing.

My dd has been cross-contaminated by burgers on a grill. If the place grills the buns too, then the gluten from the bun will contaminate the perfectly good meat. It could have also been in seasoning. When we get burgers now, we only get them from place that we know will carefully clean the grill before they cook her burger and only season with salt and pepper. She can't even have fries that were cooked in the same oil as something coated - like onion rings or fries that have wheat in or on them (many fries are not wheat-free).

:seeya: Our kiddos sound similar.

I'm guessing cross contamination on the grill, too. Any other allergens of his in the restaurant? (Probably not.) ...Our comfort level is pretty strict, but we do have a few restaurants we trust re: allergies, and sometimes they will cook DS's burger on tinfoil, to keep it off the grill. Might help if this becomes an issue... I'm sure you've thought of it.

The tinfoil is a great idea. Thanks. I actually hadn't thought of it. Usually I take him only to place I know their policies. But, he forgot his snacks (of course) and DH had taken him there (as well as a friend with GF kids). It's always with me that the problems happen. Sigh.

Five Guys is really good about the burger cross-contamination issue. When I ordered no bun, the guy at the counter asked if it was an allergy, and turned around to tell the rest of the staff, who switched gloves and all. Pretty sure they don't grill buns. Plus, they only fry fries - no breaded products in the fryer.

Mmm, now I want Five Guys for lunch.

Does anyone have a favorite gf chocolate cake recipe? Dd is wanting cupcakes because people keep bringing them to the basketball games, and she can't have any. She wants me to make cupcakes for this week. The one and only fail I have had since starting this gf journey a year ago, is....yep, choc. cupcakes. Sad, isn't it?

Does anyone have a favorite gf chocolate cake recipe? Dd is wanting cupcakes because people keep bringing them to the basketball games, and she can't have any. She wants me to make cupcakes for this week. The one and only fail I have had since starting this gf journey a year ago, is....yep, choc. cupcakes. Sad, isn't it?

Check out glutenfreeonashoestring.com

I bet she has a good recipe on there! I have not ventured into the world of GF baking so far, at least not unless it's a mix out of a box.

As so many on here are gluten free, I thought I'd start a group for us. Maybe it will make it easier to have a designated place to go for answers to questions, share recipes, etc. I made it gluten/wheat free, because dd is allergic to wheat, so she has gone gluten free, but she isn't celiac.

You know, starting a social group online is much easier than starting one in person! I don't have to dress up, or provide snacks, or smile til my face hurts. :D Ok, consider yourselves served w/ virtual gluten free refreshments, because I don't want to be a lousy host!

My daughter is celiac and we don't have to look for "Gluten free", but we do check ingredients (and many dressings have caramel colouring if it doesn't have other wheat).

DS has been gluten free for about 6 weeks. We have seen such a difference in his behavior. I always knew my son had a generous heart and a kind spirit and we are all getting to see that wonderful side of him. His typical behavior included hanging out in his room as much as possible with minimal contact. We chalked it up to his introverted personality.

The last week or so he is downstairs with us. He sits on the couch, engages in (even begins) conversations and has been smiling and telling jokes. I love seeing his smile. It has been so long since he has had a genuine smile; mostly due to the Tourette Syndrome and the carp associated with it.

I cannot express my joy, there are simply no words I can find. I knew he would respond well to the GF diet. I Just knew it.

(doing a happy dance)

He has told us he wants to remain GF because he feels good.

Now, if only it would help him make his bed in the morning.

My 12 year old made a chocolate cake last week for chemistry and followed the recipe in her book, but used Cup4Cup flour. It was fantastic.

Cup4Cup really does seem to substitute seamlessly. The batters are a little... Odd? But end product always works.

I'm going back GF as soon as I get back home from dd's, if not before. I went totally grain-free last year and felt fabulous, but I've been cheating to the point of eating bread all the time again and I feel awful. For me it's my joints mostly, but also headaches and low energy (that's mostly from carb overload I'm sure).

I guess I'm in!

I'm in. My daughter is allergic to eggs and bananas.

I am the one who can't eat any wheat/gluten. I have never been tested. I was just tired of being sick all the time and someone I was working with suggested I try going off of wheat/gluten. It made a huge difference. I currently can't eat very much dairy products either.

Five Guys is really good about the burger cross-contamination issue. When I ordered no bun, the guy at the counter asked if it was an allergy, and turned around to tell the rest of the staff, who switched gloves and all. Pretty sure they don't grill buns. Plus, they only fry fries - no breaded products in the fryer.

Mmm, now I want Five Guys for lunch.

The 5 guys by me was not so accommodating. When I asked them to change gloves if they had touched the buns all the guys rolled their eyes at me. I stood there closely watching because I had the feeling they wouldn't be careful if I wasn't watching.

Honestly, I just use Betty Crocker chocolate cake mix.

Oh, if anyone goes to Orlando in the future, do NOT eat at Babycakes in Downtown Disney. They may claim to be gf but no they are not. I became very ill. Now I get to deal with the next couple months with joint pain, arrhythmia, numb arms, headaches, depression/anxiety, fatigue, and joy of joys dermatitis herpetiformis....on my face. I cannot express just how much I hate gluten. I am also angry at that stupid bakery. Hate them.

The 5 guys by me was not so accommodating. When I asked them to change gloves if they had touched the buns all the guys rolled their eyes at me. I stood there closely watching because I had the feeling they wouldn't be careful if I wasn't watching.

Honestly, I just use Betty Crocker chocolate cake mix.

Oh, if anyone goes to Orlando in the future, do NOT eat at Babycakes in Downtown Disney. They may claim to be gf but no they are not. I became very ill. Now I get to deal with the next couple months with joint pain, arrhythmia, numb arms, headaches, depression/anxiety, fatigue, and joy of joys dermatitis herpetiformis....on my face. I cannot express just how much I hate gluten. I am also angry at that stupid bakery. Hate them.

Yeah, I bought the Betty Crocker gf choc cake mix. I'm still going to attempt a from scratch cake, but I figured better to have a back up plan! I'm sorry about the bakery experience. That stinks!

Two questions this morning:

I need a soft gf sugar cookie recipe that holds together and I can use the KAF multipurpose flour for. I found one on the Gluten Free on a Shoestring site, but if anyone has a better recipe I'm all ears!

Second, I'm looking for a paper mĂƒÂ¢chĂƒÂ© paste recipe without flour or using a flour substitute. I have a bag of rice flour to use for dough and crafts, will that work? We're trying to make a piĂƒÂ±ata for DH's birthday party this weekend. I thought we used glue as a kid, but I wonder if it dries too hard.

I need a soft gf sugar cookie recipe that holds together and I can use the KAF multipurpose flour for. I found one on the Gluten Free on a Shoestring site, but if anyone has a better recipe I'm all ears!

Second, I'm looking for a paper mĂƒÂ¢chĂƒÂ© paste recipe without flour or using a flour substitute. I have a bag of rice flour to use for dough and crafts, will that work? We're trying to make a piĂƒÂ±ata for DH's birthday party this weekend. I thought we used glue as a kid, but I wonder if it dries too hard.

Here are some ideas.

http://forums.glutenfree.com/topic7233.html

Someone posted this recipe before Christmas-(sorry I don't remember who) I would ust use the KA flour mix instead of mixing my own- So instead of a cup of rice flour and 1/2 cup each of tapioca and potato starch- I would just use 2 cups of the KA mix. Make sure to add the xanthan gum as KA doesn't have it in the flour mix! Also, use the KA flour for rolling out- if you use the rice flour- it leaves the bottoms gritty. Otherwise, these were very good.

These turn out well (just like "regular" cookies). We've been GF for 8 years and this my favorite sugar cookie recipe.

Sugar Cookies

Ă¢â€¦â€œ cup butter

Ă¢â€¦â€œ cup shortening

¾ cup sugar

1 cup white rice flour

1 tsp xanthan gum

1 egg

1 TBS milk

2 tsp baking powder

1 tsp vanilla

¼ tsp salt

½ cup tapioca flour

½ cup potato starch flour

Sweet rice flour for rolling

Beat butter, shortening, and sugar. Add rice flour, xanthan, egg, milk, baking powder, vanilla, and salt. Mix. Add tapioca and potato starch flours. Mix.

Cover and chill in refrigerator for 3 hours.

Roll out dough on sweet rice flour with plastic wrap on top. Cut into shapes and place on cookie sheets.

Bake at 375 for 8 minutes. Cool, and then, add icing, sprinkles, etc.

Cornstarch works well for paper mache. Here, I can get it in large quantities inexpensively at Smart and Final. I don't know how big a chain that is.

The Gluten Free Fun blog/site's topic of the day: S.e.x and the Celiac: dating while Gluten Free.

This isn't something I had considered to be problematic.

Although kissing someone who has just downed a plate of pasta and 6 breadsticks could be an issue.

:001_cool:

:lol: Hadn't thought about that!

I make sure I don't kiss my dh when he's eaten gluten or had beer to drink.

Oh, and back to Betty Crocker gf products......I would eat an entire batch of the chocolate chip cookies if my children didn't stop me.

I just had one of Betty's devil's food cupcakes...and I'm going to get another one! :D

Can I just listen in here. ;) I'm doing a gluten free trial right now. My Doctor recommended I give it a try because of a host of health issues I have been dealing with for awhile now. Going gluten free is kinda overwhelming especially when I'm the only one in the house. If it works for me I would like to try it at least for my youngest. I have been concerned that he might have some kind of food intollerance for awhile now.

it is overwhelming to quit gluten, but if it makes you feel better, you realize you have the power in your hands to make yourself (and possibly your kids) feel better!

My dh is good about warning me about having eaten gluten if I'm trying to kiss him. My concern was . . . um. . . the other end? but i was assured that was safe . . .

Can I just listen in here. ;) I'm doing a gluten free trial right now. My Doctor recommended I give it a try because of a host of health issues I have been dealing with for awhile now. Going gluten free is kinda overwhelming especially when I'm the only one in the house. If it works for me I would like to try it at least for my youngest. I have been concerned that he might have some kind of food intollerance for awhile now.

Sure you can listen in, but I encourage you to jump in and ask questions! The hive has been incredible at helping me on dd's gf journey.