Menu

If you had a child who learned best by reading to themself...

EmilyGF

what math would you use?

Certainly not RightStart, my favorite. I've been letting her do MEP "worksheets" at her own pace, which she loves, but I'm not willing to learn to teach MEP at this point. Also, if I started teaching it, it would become oral.

She passionately hates mental math.

She is a sharp cookie and enjoys the abacus.

Emily

My ds learns best when reading to himself, but math must be the exception. I tried Harcourt Math last year because each lesson includes instruction, practice, and review all in the workbook, but he hated it. It is exactly what I would have wanted to use as a kid because I just needed to see an example and be left alone to figure it out. Singapore could work for you if you use the textbook along with the workbook. The textbook is pretty kid-friendly, independent instruction. Oh no, I forgot about the Mental Math. My ds hates that too. But he likes Singapore. Hmm...I dunno, that's all I've got. :leaving:

Never seen it but I have heard some families use Teaching Textbooks as an independent math either letting their kiddos watch the videos or read the text on their own. Maybe a program like that would work?

I taught myself math in jr. high using the old Saxon series, not sure that would work though for how young your kiddos are.

How about Life of Fred? I can't say we have a lot of experience with it, we just started it this week. I already have one child who wants to read it for himself instead of us doing it together.

The story format introduces Fred, who encounters life's problems and solves them mathematically. They are inexpensive. You could buy one book and see how it goes for you. I think they are $16 each. They are entertaining, so I warn you that they may move faster and therefore through more than one book in a year, but what's wrong with that? :-)

Lisa