Menu

Do you ever just go around and around-completely unable to decide?

HollyinNNV

I'm making myself crazy-absolutely loony. Here's a sample of my nuts inner voice-

I'm going to do Math A. But, its for advanced students and my child is not advanced. But, I want him to have every advantage. But, I used it before with dd and didn't feel really comfortable teaching it. But, now it has neat instructor manuals. But, I'm not sure he can do mental math.

OK

I'm going to do Math B. But, its too expensive. But, I'm paying double that for dd's Algebra. But, it uses funny terminology to describe numbers. But, my ds will like it. But, he'll probably get sick of working with me and people say there isn't much individual work for the student. So, maybe I'll get sick of it. Will I use the manipulatives I don't even want to pay for? And then the guilt.

OK

And after self talking through about 7 different curriculums and 20 different combinations of more than 1 curriculum I'm back to thinking about Math A alone. And on it goes.

Then I read about how I should stay with the same thing-so this is a decision for the ages. Then I read threads where people talk about using the same math for years. WAAA. I'm jealous.

In all these years, the only math I've ever liked is Chalkdust:glare:.

I just can't come to any decision because I know far too many pros and cons to decide.

This is such a whiny post. Before I get to feeling to guilty, I'm going to post it. If you are having similar struggles, now you know you are not the only one.

Holly

:grouphug:

It is hard. You want the best. You know nothing is perfect. You know the pros and cons. Until the moment I got my first acceptance letter - 'er 'um my ds got his first college acceptance letter, I was certain that I had ruined his chances of getting in college by homeschooling him.

Math. After trying every math program I could think of, I found the perfect one for my dd. We have been working through it and supplementing where necessary and reviewing when needed. SO explain to me why I had to dig out an old discarded math program this week, try it on my dd then decide to switch to that for next year, then decide to switch to a completely different math program that we already decided wouldn't work?

I will be glad when we start school, because we are starting with whatever math/writing/grammar/Latin/history/science/art I have on Sept 1. Then I will give whatever it is 6 weeks before I second guess myself.

I am so glad I read your posts -- because I have been feeling the same way! Yes, I want the best for them and I want them to get the most out of this and I want to help them on their path in life and can I possibly be giving them all that they need??? Am I doing it correctly??? Will they succeed??? Will they hate me because gave them too much/too little? I was too strict/not strict enough??

Then I have to talk a deep breath...calm down and realize that...so far, so good. :001_smile:

(Until I start worrying again!)

It is hard. You want the best. You know nothing is perfect. You know the pros and cons. Until the moment I got my first acceptance letter - 'er 'um my ds got his first college acceptance letter, I was certain that I had ruined his chances of getting in college by homeschooling him.

Congrats on ds!

Math. After trying every math program I could think of, I found the perfect one for my dd. We have been working through it and supplementing where necessary and reviewing when needed. SO explain to me why I had to dig out an old discarded math program this week, try it on my dd then decide to switch to that for next year, then decide to switch to a completely different math program that we already decided wouldn't work?

It is a wild hair, isn't it? I made the mistake of printing out a math placement test a couple of grades below my ds's grade and watching him fail at it miserably.

I will be glad when we start school, because we are starting with whatever math/writing/grammar/Latin/history/science/art I have on Sept 1. Then I will give whatever it is 6 weeks before I second guess myself.

Six weeks is good. I plan on feeling pretty bad all year long.:D It's funny, because I, personally, enjoy math.

Holly

So it's between Singapore and Righstart? I have a prek and here is my math path. We did the Singapore Earlybird math up through half of 2A. Then I decided we would find that Rightstart was more fun. Ds liked Singapore fine, but I didn't care for it really. We didn't get far in Righstart. ds hated it. I hated it. I was so frustrated. I teach math and I wanted it to be fun. I didn't want him to cringe at the word math. That was what was happening. Well I was reading about curriculum and was so frustrated trying to figure out what I should do. Do I want CLE, Developmental math, Rod and Staff, Horizons, Singapore Primary the US Edition or the Standards edition or Math u see. I was just about to go nuts and then one night i just went I'm going to get math u see primer just as a fill in while I figure out what I want to do because i know I don't want to go the MUS route. I prayed about it and the next morning I remembered that my mom was at the homeschool conference so I tried to call her to tell her to just pick up the primer for me but her phone was turned off and I was like NO!!!. SO I prayed that if God wanted me to use MUS right now that he would have her call me. I really wasn't sure if it was a wise decision or not because I felt like it was such a whim. Anyway she called and said she wondered if I needed anything and I had her pick it up. It is going so well and my ds has really taken off. I still was uncertain if I should continue with MUS or not so I went on a curriculum buying streak. Really I figured the next homeschool conference would cost $20 so I figured I could spend that much on used math curriculum to figure out what math I wanted and then sell it and get my money back and I could keep and look over the material as long as I wanted. So I purchased a used CLE TM and a couple of Light Units, I got the Horizons math TM on paperbackswap.com and bought bk 2 used, I bought a used copy of Rod and staff math TM and someone offered to send me a copy of Developmental math used, I already had MUS and I got Singapore Primary 1A and 1B on paperbackswap.com. It is the Singapore edition. Anyway I finally narrowed it down to I'm continuing with MUS and I'm using the Singapore and if I can figure a way to fit it in I'm using Horizons. I managed to eliminate all the others. If we really don't like MUS Alpha or Singapore We will do Horizons. I'm pretty much at peace now. Anyway that is my long math saga. So you aren't alone. Oh and I was homeschooled 3rd through 12th and we switched math curriculum every year and it didn't hurt us any. So I wish you the best in your math quest.

For my ds, we did Saxon, Singapore, TT, a couple of random math books, Aleks, and Thinkwell. Chalkdust was what I had originally wanted and like the best but had decided to not get it because it was too expensive. I learned a lot about switching math programs but not a lot about how to teach higher maths to a kid that understands things differently than I do.

My my dd, when she is ready for CD basic math, we are going to switch to it - okay maybe not at Basic Math, but definitely before we get to Calculus.

Right now I am reviewing addition and subtraction facts out of Ray's with my dd7 and doing word problems from Singapore. I am waiting for the 3rd edition 3rd grade of BJU to be released and thinking of switching back to full Singapore math. So we just might end up with Ray's for our math for 6 weeks if I don't decide in the next month.

While I am doing this, I am starting my dd3 on RS A and Singapore early bird, because I couldn't make up my mind. I am also trying to talk my ds18 into doing Fred or Chalkdust College Algebra with me for review and fun before he has to take his math placement tests for college.

So it's between Singapore and Righstart?

Well, those are two of the seven or eight contenders. They were just the quickest to describe when it comes to pros and cons.:D

I have a prek and here is my math path. We did the Singapore Earlybird math up through half of 2A. Then I decided we would find that Rightstart was more fun. Ds liked Singapore fine, but I didn't care for it really. We didn't get far in Righstart. ds hated it. I hated it. I was so frustrated. I teach math and I wanted it to be fun. I didn't want him to cringe at the word math. That was what was happening. Well I was reading about curriculum and was so frustrated trying to figure out what I should do. Do I want CLE, Developmental math, Rod and Staff, Horizons, Singapore Primary the US Edition or the Standards edition or Math u see. I was just about to go nuts and then one night i just went I'm going to get math u see primer just as a fill in while I figure out what I want to do because i know I don't want to go the MUS route. I prayed about it and the next morning I remembered that my mom was at the homeschool conference so I tried to call her to tell her to just pick up the primer for me but her phone was turned off and I was like NO!!!. SO I prayed that if God wanted me to use MUS right now that he would have her call me. I really wasn't sure if it was a wise decision or not because I felt like it was such a whim. Anyway she called and said she wondered if I needed anything and I had her pick it up. It is going so well and my ds has really taken off. I still was uncertain if I should continue with MUS or not so I went on a curriculum buying streak. Really I figured the next homeschool conference would cost $20 so I figured I could spend that much on used math curriculum to figure out what math I wanted and then sell it and get my money back and I could keep and look over the material as long as I wanted. So I purchased a used CLE TM and a couple of Light Units, I got the Horizons math TM on paperbackswap.com and bought bk 2 used, I bought a used copy of Rod and staff math TM and someone offered to send me a copy of Developmental math used, I already had MUS and I got Singapore Primary 1A and 1B on paperbackswap.com. It is the Singapore edition. Anyway I finally narrowed it down to I'm continuing with MUS and I'm using the Singapore and if I can figure a way to fit it in I'm using Horizons. I managed to eliminate all the others. If we really don't like MUS Alpha or Singapore We will do Horizons. I'm pretty much at peace now. Anyway that is my long math saga. So you aren't alone. Oh and I was homeschooled 3rd through 12th and we switched math curriculum every year and it didn't hurt us any. So I wish you the best in your math quest.

Well, you are hedging your bets well!:D My dd started doing really well in math once we found Chalkdust. But, I can't really be sure that it wasn't an age/maturation thing. I would love to find "the" curriculum earlier with my second kid.

Thanks for sympathizing.

Holly

OK...so maybe my post went a bit off topic re: picking a curriculum program and dove into my insecurities re: the whole homeschooling adventure and my role as teacher of little minds. lol Sorry about that little side trip! :tongue_smilie:

I don't think you are off-topic! Some of us feel pretty insecure about one subject. Some of us feel a little insecure about all subjects. And then there is everything in between.

Holly

In all these years, the only math I've ever liked is Chalkdust:glare:.

I constantly second-guess myself with curriculum choices! I didn't like Chalkdust at first, mostly because I was used to the thorough explanations that Lial's gives. The Larson text didn't give enough explanations, IMO. So, I went through a period of a couple of months not liking it. But, dd was doing well, and once I started doing the lessons with her and viewing the quality of Dana Mosely's teaching, I really liked it and actually become "reconciled" (if that's the word) to the Larson style of text!

I did the same with Omnibus; doing Socratic-style questions with a 7th and 9th grader (this was two years ago) who had never done it before was like pulling teeth! The year seemed like a bust, because of a huge homeschool group project in the fall which took inordinate amounts of time, thus punting much of our Omnibus readings. Nevertheless, we made it through some of the suggested readings. The next year I understood what to do: say "No" to homeschool projects that weren't going to help our family in the long run, and do a better job with Omnibus. Last year was a great success in that area! Sometimes it takes me about a year to figure out how to use a curriculum! By that time, Experimental Child 1 and sometimes Experimental Child 2 have suffered from my trial-and-error method of teaching! Somehow, though, they still forgive me for my ineptitude and in actuality haven't suffered that much!

Second-guessing is normal. I usually try to push past that for a while, but it typically sets in, like the other poster said, at around six weeks. Then, I'm usually on the boards with tons of questions about what I'm doing with this curriculum. Then, I either switch curricula or find a way to use the new curriculum that works.

Good luck and be at peace with the second-guessing! You will eventually settle into doing what's best! :)

Last summer I was very stressed out because of making curriculum decisions. It affected my over all mood and my sleep patterns. I was on this board all the time. This year, in April or May I told my husband, "You know how some people have 'tax season?' Well, I have school planning season." That was my way of forwarning him that I would be a little preoccupied.

But it hasn't been too bad at all this year. I think and hope I have begun to learn a lesson about this issue.

I, too, have gone 'round and 'round about math. My eldest does great with Singapore. #2 dc, however, really struggled. I thought long and hard about MUS, then decided to try R&S. That worked for a little while, but she got quite bored and started begging me to go back to Singapore. I agreed, and she did just fine, and she just finished level 3 this past spring. BUT as I have been watching my eldest move through the upper levels of Singapore (he's just finishing level 5), I just know that #2 needs something different. I know she will struggle, I will try to teach her, and WW III will start at my kitchen table. :001_smile: So, just before conference, it suddenly became crystal clear that I should buy MUS for her, even though I had just given away my MUS blocks to another mom in my hs group! I plunked down the money, and so far so good. She is whipping through Gammma this summer, and I expect her to finish Delta this school year, as well. I am not hearing one peep out of her as far as "boring" or "hard" or "I don't get this" or "stupid" that I was hearing with Singapore and R&S. I should have put her into MUS the first time I thought of it, before I second guessed myself into R&S.

Okay, that was a really long story trying to illustrate that I am slowly learning to...drumroll, please...trust my instincts! Novel idea for a mom who has always believed in parenting by what my heart says, and made the right decisions 9 times out of 10.

After hanging on these boards for a few years, I pretty much know which curricula the hive mind recommends as "rigorous," or "good." Any one of those will give my dc a solid educatoin. It is just a matter of which one is a good fit for us. For me, the best way to discern that is to go with my gut, not my head, and only pick something different if it consistently brings tears or fighting to my household. Then, go with what my heart is telling me at that time, because obviously my head interfered the first time and I didn't listen well. :tongue_smilie:

And I am learning to relax, and be in the moment. I have to let the future take care of itself, and just make the best decision I can with the knowledge and information I have right now. Very few curriculum decisions will be make-or-break for my child's future.

So, good luck on your math decision. Go with your gut!

You're not alone, hehe... Sometimes it's hormonal, sometimes we just can't see the forest for the trees, and a lot of times it's because it's IMPORTANT to us and there AREN'T good answers.

What I really appreciate is when someone who's feeling sane at the moment comes alongside me and very gently makes an observation that sorts it out for me. So I guess, look for a sane person to help you sort it out. Sometimes just showing all your stuff to somebody makes it more obvious in your own mind.

Karen, on that BJU math3, have you called them to ask when the new edition is due out? Usually they do one new edition a year, meaning if the 2nd gr was new this year, it will be next year before the 3 is out. I don't know, just suggesting you make sure before you wait. The BJU math is really good and the current edition is FINE. All you do is buy the workbooks separate (Spring, Reviews, Stretch) rather than getting them on the cd. It's awesome, so complete. I wouldn't wait around in limbo on it, not when the current edition is so good, not if the BJU math is what you want.

I was doing that with math this summer as well. I went back and forth on a daily basis. We had to decided whether to stick with what we were doing or move to another program. I had ds work over both this summer.

Finally I simply asked him which program he preferred. He gave me an answer in 2 seconds which settled the whole debate. I'm ordering it this week. :grouphug:

I constantly second-guess myself with curriculum choices! I didn't like Chalkdust at first, mostly because I was used to the thorough explanations that Lial's gives. The Larson text didn't give enough explanations, IMO. So, I went through a period of a couple of months not liking it. But, dd was doing well, and once I started doing the lessons with her and viewing the quality of Dana Mosely's teaching, I really liked it and actually become "reconciled" (if that's the word) to the Larson style of text!

Isn't that funny how we are all different. The Larson text was the very first one that was easy for me. If dd has a problem, I don't watch the lecture. I can usually really quickly find the answer in the textbook. I like it (personally) better than TT, MUS, SING, MIQ and SAX.

I did the same with Omnibus; doing Socratic-style questions with a 7th and 9th grader (this was two years ago) who had never done it before was like pulling teeth!

Well, I've presided over numerous classroom discussions and it is tricky and almost always a challenge. Sometimes the kids really have to be led in the discussion. And I've got far more input. Doing the same thing with two kids would be a challenge.

The year seemed like a bust, because of a huge homeschool group project in the fall which took inordinate amounts of time, thus punting much of our Omnibus readings.

Yes! We had a huge engineering project that consumed time and energy. But, we got a lot out of that too. It is all good in the end.

Second-guessing is normal.

This is the very first time that I just can't decide. Everything else is all figured out.

Good luck and be at peace with the second-guessing! You will eventually settle into doing what's best! :)

Thanks Michelle!!

Holly

I am waiting for the 3rd edition 3rd grade of BJU to be released and thinking of switching back to full Singapore math. So we just might end up with Ray's for our math for 6 weeks if I don't decide in the next month.

We have been one year ahead of BJU's math releases, too. If you really want BJU, I'd just go for it unless you think they might speed up the pace of the releases. Hasn't there just been one a year?

Holly

After hanging on these boards for a few years, I pretty much know which curricula the hive mind recommends as "rigorous," or "good." Any one of those will give my dc a solid educatoin. It is just a matter of which one is a good fit for us.

That is my big problem. I know way too much to be comfortable with a decision. Because my ds's learning style is totally unknown to me, he hasn't begun to do well in math, and I hear pros and cons about all the different curriculums, I'm flummoxed. I almost switched curriculums last year. But I was really, really hoping to see improvement by being consistent in our math curriculum. Somehow, I don't think that is going to happen. But now that I'm getting closer to changing, I'm feeling the exact same way as last year. Maybe one more year with the same curriculum is the right way to go. Balderdash!

a lot of times it's because it's IMPORTANT to us and there AREN'T good answers.

:iagree:EXACTLY

DH is so good at math. It is very important with his job. I want his son to have all the same opportunities. I don't want to "ruin" his chances. Sounds dramatic, but it is at the heart of my anguish/indecision. And none of the pressure is coming from DH. It is all me.:001_smile:

Holly

I'm the same way with writing programs.

As far as math, or any other curriculum, I just figure that I'm not going to use ANYTHING without tweaking it for our best use. When I keep that in mind, it seems to take the pressure off to find the program that is just right.

And the other thing that helps me is making a conscious decision to NOT think about it for a few days or a week. I think my brain sorts out a lot during that time. Good luck!

I'm always 2nd guessing myself. :P I agree that it's hard because there aren't good answers. While one program works great for one child, it might not be so great for another. It's trying to find that fit that can be frustrating. Too, I come here, learn of a new curriculum, and feel like I need to check it out, and the whole rollercoaster begins again. LOL

So, this indecisiveness madness and flip-flopping between curriculum is a normal thing?

I was beginning to think that I was the only one who couldn't make a decision, plan our entire yearly lesson plan, read all the great classics and clean house, bake cakes and look great when my hubby walks in the door!!!

I think one of the blessings of this board is when I read that other moms struggle with some of the tasks at hand for homeschool moms and overcome or resolve them. I am amazed how everyone steps in to give encouragement and suggestions and tell how they overcome obstacles and dilemmas in their school room.

I second guess myself all the time about whether I am giving my kids enough with their education. Then, logic and my husband's calm attitude step in and remind me how great the boys are doing with their subjects.

The Second grade was new last year and I had heard the third was due out this summer. Since I don't use the extra stuff on the teacher cd, I guess I could really just get the current edition of third grade. Why is that so obvious when someone else tells me? It would simplify, save money and angst. I like it.

Thanks.

Y'know, I'm generally a pretty indecisive person. I tend to research the heck out of something, and I mean the HECK out of it. Love that part. Want all the info. I use information gathering to handle my anxiety.

But eventually, one has to make decisions.

Once when I was on the phone with a df, going on and on (I'm sure) about a decision I had to make, she said, "It's like this. You've got the p-nut butter and jelly and the ham sandwich. If you pick the ham sandwich, you can't have the p-nut butter and jelly. BUT YOU'VE GOT A GREAT HAM SANDWICH!"

Stopped me cold. Although it feels like it, so much does NOT "depend upon the red wheelbarrow, glazed with rain, beside the d@mn white chickens" (obscure poetic reference, "d@mn" inserted by me).

I have been paralyzed by indecision many times. Now, not so much. I'm learning.

Make your choice, give it a really, really good go, and see if it works. Resell if needed. You'll be ok.

But I was really, really hoping to see improvement...Somehow, I don't think that is going to happen....Maybe one more year with the same curriculum is the right way to go. Balderdash!

I'm reading this as: your gut is telling you that you don't think there will be improvement in your ds's math skills using the current curriculum.

This sounds to me like changing curricula would be a good thing.

I don't know how much time you have, but perhaps you could not make the decision right now, and try not to think about it. Then in a couple of weeks, take a look at the choices again, and things may be clearer after you've had a break from the issue.

Empathizing here...