Menu

Book a Week in 2013 - week six

Robin M

Today I finished Beowulf, and over the last few days I've made it 6 books into "The Odyssey." I'm hoping to finish it by the end of the week.

Completed So Far

1. Best Friends by Samantha Glen

2. Wesley the Owl by Stacey O'Brien

3. The Gift of Pets: Stories Only a Vet Could Tell by Bruce Coston

4. Nim Chimpsky: The Chimp Who Would Be Human by Elizabeth Hess

5. Last Chance to See by Douglas Adams & Mark Carwardine

6. Confessions of a Prairie Bitch by Alison Arngrim

7. Beowulf by Seamus Heaney

I've had Wesley the Owl for years and can't bring myself to read it b/c he has to die in the end, right? Maybe I'll start on that next. I'm not sure I can take another downer after reading The House of Happy Endings.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I feel like a bit of a failure, but I am putting From Beirut to Jerusalem away for a bit. It was just a bit too dry to hold my attention, for now, so it was dragging and dragging and I found I had to focus so much that I was hardly having time to read (because there are always distractions when I'm reading). I've read about 1/4 of it, and will put it away and maybe just read a chapter here and there until it's done.

Until then, I started reading a fiction book that is heartbreaking but very well written - The Kite Runner.

Finished The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax by Dorothy Gilman and really enjoyed it. It’s not fantastic literature but lots of fun to read. Not so much a cozy mystery and a cozy spy thriller. I’ve already got the next one reserved at the library.

In Progress:

The Children of Noisy Village by Astrid Lindgren (read aloud)

The Hobbit by JRR Tolkien (audiobook)

Five Children and It by E. Nesbit (Ladies book club)

Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt (Ladies book club)

2013 finished books:

17. The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax by Dorothy Gilman (****)

16. Organizing from the Inside Out by Julie Morgenstern (***)

15. Getting Things Done by David Allen (****)

14. The Enchanted Castle by E. Nesbit (****)

13. Clouds of Witness by Dorothy Sayers (****)

12. The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan (****)

11. Toliver’s Secret by Esther Wood Brady (***)

10. Happier at Home by Gretchen Rubin (**)

9. Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie (*****)

8. Cotillion by Georgette Heyer (*****)

7. The Little Sister by Raymond Chandler (**)

6. Justin Morgan Had a Horse by Marguerite Henry (****)

5. Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome (***)

4. The Unwritten by Mike Carey (****)

3. The Postmortal by Drew Magary (**)

2. The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare (*****)

1. The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin (***)

Amy's Rating System:

***** - Fantastic, couldn't put it down

**** - Very good

*** - Enjoyable but nothing special

** - Not recommended

* - Horrible

I am so weak.

One of the local library branches was recently told by the fire marshal that they had too many books. And this week, as I feared, the library discard store was full of beautiful red- and blue-cloth-covered Everyman editions of classic literature, many hardly read, $20-$40 new, for two dollars each.

I waited three days to give others a chance. And this afternoon I went back to the store - not a one of the books, as far as I could tell, had been bought - and came home with a box full of books. Most I didn't have, some are books I love but had only as ragged paperbacks, a few are books I had but which have been claimed by Great Girl according to some private theory of primogeniture.

So, so glad I didn't sign up for that silly challenge that involved not buying more books.

It is very well written but also fiction. I double checked when you wrote that and have to say I'm glad it's fiction.

Yes, sorry, Doh! It is, of course fiction :) Such a good story though!

I edited my original post to fix it. For some reason I was thinking fiction but typed non-fiction. I am trying to focus on non-fiction this year, but am also reading some fiction that is based around the non-fiction times/themes :) I do prefer non-fiction that reads like fiction though (like Unbroken, which is amazing!!)

I am so weak.

One of the local library branches was recently told by the fire marshal that they had too many books. And this week, as I feared, the library discard store was full of beautiful red- and blue-cloth-covered Everyman editions of classic literature, many hardly read, $20-$40 new, for two dollars each.

I waited three days to give others a chance. And this afternoon I went back to the store - not a one of the books, as far as I could tell, had been bought - and came home with a box full of books. Most I didn't have, some are books I love but had only as ragged paperbacks, a few are books I had but which have been claimed by Great Girl according to some private theory of primogeniture.

So, so glad I didn't sign up for that silly challenge that involved not buying more books.

This sounds divine! Yes, I'm very glad that you didn't sign up for the challenge.

(I did, and it's already busted. I barely lasted a month. Sigh....)

Yes, sorry, Doh! It is, of course fiction :) Such a good story though!

I edited my original post to fix it. For some reason I was thinking fiction but typed non-fiction. I am trying to focus on non-fiction this year, but am also reading some fiction that is based around the non-fiction times/themes :) I do prefer non-fiction that reads like fiction though (like Unbroken, which is amazing!!)

I prefer non-fiction written like a story as well, although I'm working myself up to Unbroken. I'm afraid it will be too emotional for me.

I'm reading a science textbook right now, and it's good, but I can't seem to do more than a chapter a week,

Completed:

Book #21 - "Academic Homeschooling: How to Give Your Child an Amazing Education and Survive" by Tracy Chatters. Quick read on my Kindle. Free to borrow for Amazon Prime members. Short, nothing new, except for a few resources, but what I needed right now. It's nice to remember that some of us choose to homeschool because we think we can do a better job, and not because schools are "evil" or something.

Book #20 - "The Comforts of a Muddy Saturday" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)

Book #19 - "The Return of the Native" by Thomas Hardy. (WEM.)

Book #18 - "The Careful Use of Compliments" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)

Book #17 - "The Right Attitude to Rain" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)

Book #16 - "Inspector Singh Investigates: A Most Peculiar Malaysian Murder" by Shamini Flint. (Singaporean author, Malaysian setting.)

Book #15 - "Friends, Lovers, Chocolate" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)

Book #14 - "Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie" by Alan Bradley. (Canadian author, English setting.)

Book #13 - "Portuguese Irregular Verbs" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/]Scottish author, German character, German/Swiss/Italian/Ireland/Indian settings.)

Book #12 - "In Cold Pursuit" by Sarah Andrews. (Antarctica setting.)

Book #11 - "Anna Karenina" by Leo Nikoleyevich Tolstoy. (Russian; or WEM challenge.)

Book #10 - "The Sunday Philosophy Club" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)

Book #9 - "The Limpopo Academy of Private Detection" by Alexander McCall Smith. (]Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Book #8 - "The Saturday Big Tent Wedding Party" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Book #7 - "The Double Comfort Safari Club" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Book #6 - " Tea Time for the Traditionally Built" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Book #5 - "Crime and Punishment" by Fydor Dostoevsky. (Russian; or WEM challenge.)

Book #4 - "The Miracle of Speedy Motors" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Book #3 - "The Good Husband of Zebra Drive" by Alexander McCall Smith. (]Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Book #2 - "Blue Shoes and Happiness" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Book #1 - "In the Company of Cheerful Ladies" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

I prefer non-fiction written like a story as well, although I'm working myself up to Unbroken. I'm afraid it will be too emotional for me.

I'm reading a science textbook right now, and it's good, but I can't seem to do more than a chapter a week,

Unbroken is excellent, and definitely emotional, but for me, not "make me cry" emotional, which is kind of weird, because I tend towards crying. I've had a few teary moments reading The Kite Runner. The thing about fiction I usually have a hard time with is "but this didn't happen".

You must read Unbroken soon! It's so good. So, so good. I couldn't put it down but I didn't want it to end either. It really stuck with me. I'm hoping to go see Louis Zamperini speak in April. The tickets haven't gone on sale yet, but I am on the list.

I finished #6: Emma by Jane Austen on Audio. I enjoyed this book more this time than I did the first 2 reads. My kids said this was the book that never ended. They groaned every time I had to change discs. I went to the library and was going to get Vanity Fair on Audio....my kids would have died. Luckily for them, it wasn't there this time. lol. 5} A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson4} Hannah's Joy by Marta Perry

3} A Year Down Yonder by Richard Peck.

2} Secrets at Sea by Richard Peck

1} His Love Endures Forever by Beth Wiseman

I finished Death Comes to Pemberley (#10) today. It was for my book club, not something I would have picked but I still enjoyed it.

For the first 10:

1. Three Mile Island

2. Herzog

3. The Genius in All of Us

4. The Aenied

5. Hand Wash Cold

6. The Eyre Affair

7. Pride and Prejudice

8. Homeschooling High School

9. Great Expectations

10. Death Comes to Pemberely

My favorite so far has been The Eyre Affair (and meets 1 of my 5/5/5 categories - new to me authors, that I actually want to read more of :-) ). I've covered 2 continents, North America and Europe. Two I counted in my 5/5/5 challenge for classics and 1 for free on kindle (there could be a lot of overlap on the categories, but I'm trying to fill them separately). And 2 for my 5/5/5 challenge for education.

The only 5/5/5 category I haven't touched yet is just for fun!

This week I finished reading The Throne of Fire to my son and we started on The Serpent's Shadow. I'm so ready to be done with this series!

So far this year:

1. Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey

2. The Great Gatsby

3. The Night Circus

4. A Study in Scarlet

5. The Red Pyramid

6. The Throne of Fire

Reading this week:

1. A Storm of Swords. Still.

2. History of the Ancient World

3. The Perks of Being A Wallflower

4. Sense and Sensibility

5. The Serpent's Shadow

Plus I just got a few great deals on Audible today (including the first 3 books of the Outlander series for $3.99 each). I hope to start listening to Outlander this week. A week with Jamie and Claire is always a good week :).

I've had Wesley the Owl for years and can't bring myself to read it b/c he has to die in the end, right? Maybe I'll start on that next. I'm not sure I can take another downer after reading The House of Happy Endings.

Yes, he does die in the end, but I honestly didn't find it to be overly sad. The author also doesn't spend half of the book talking about his death and dwelling on it. She's rather matter-of-fact and moves on, though not in an unloving way. It really is a beautiful story.