Menu

Trader Joe's Fans...

athomemom

I am a TJ's fan too! I love the size of the store, the quality of the food, the prices, and the friendly staff. My kids love the samples, the kid carts, and the lollipop they get when they find the monkey (that might just be our store though).

I can't believe no one has mentioned the seasonings and grinders. Great prices on regular seasonings, but they also have awesome, yummy grinders like Everyday Seasoning, South African Smoke, Cinnamon Spice, and Sugar, Chocolate Coffee Bean. Only $1.99 each!

Some other items not mentioned:

-Joe Joe ice cream

-green chili & cheese tamales

-iced green & white tea

-Green Plant (green food juice blend)

-white chocolate gingerbread men cookies (Christmas time only)

They also have a lot of the same packaged food you would find elsewhere (like pop tarts, granola bars, cinnamon rolls), only without as much added junk.

I have only been once, so will have to give it a try again, because it seemed so small and not as nice as Whole Foods or Central Market (a TX high end grocery). Do they vary by location? Do you find it less expensive than Whole Foods?

But I did get some almonds covered w dark chocolate and sea salt and those were sooo good. As a matter of fact, I just may go by there soon to get more and then check out the selection again.

My kids love the samples, the kid carts, and the lollipop they get when they find the monkey (that might just be our store though)..

Not all stores have the kids cart. Most stores have a store animal (mascot) to look for though some stores further from us has stop the practice because the soft toy goes missing. A store said they lost their mascot three times and gave up replacing. However they gave a free lollipop to any kid who ask about the mascot.

Do they vary by location? Do you find it less expensive than Whole Foods?

Trader Joes store do vary by location. Overall we find it less expensive than Whole Foods.

The kidlets are all artificial food coloring free--they love that they can get almost all their favorite former treats (jelly beans, cheetos, mac & cheese, ice cream, yogurt) at TJs. Cereal is cheap--1.99 for Frosted Flakes and Rice Crispies. I buy milk and eggs (organic) there too.

The kids have started eating the agave sweetened black & white rice rolls--mmmm

I buy

--whole wheat English muffins, and whole wheat tortillas, both with very short ingredient lists - these are impossible to find at other local stores.

--fancy cheeses (for special events), fresh pesto, frozen berries, whole wheat pasta, brown basmati rice, cereal with more fiber and less sugar than the supermarket - these are much cheaper at TJ's

--fruit and veggies, milk and eggs, yogurt, crackers, black beans, refried beans, hummus - these are about the same as elsewhere, but worth picking up if I'm there anyway.

--Thai curry sauce - this is a TJ's exclusive item that we like.

I do like that at TJ's there are not endless aisles of sodas, sugary snacks, and other things that don't interest me. I can get in and out quickly. The employees are friendly and helpful.

I can't believe no one has mentioned the spicy black bean dip in the chip aisle. My kids love that stuff. I buy bean dip and some frozen veggies at TJ's, but I find it is too expensive to feed my hungry family. I have 2 TJ's and a whole foods within 10 minutes of me, but I usually end up doing the bulk of my shopping at Costco or Ralphs grocery store. I wish I could afford Whole Foods.