Menu

I'm at a loss on what to do now - math related

Dd is 13.25 and in 8th grade. Last year she sailed through pre-algebra without any problems. This year algebra is kicking her butt. I've used both MUS and an older edition of Algebra Structure and Method by Mary Dolciani. Neither of them seem to be doing the trick,

I thought may be we could just move on to MUS geometry and then come back to Algebra 1 next year. But it was pointed out to me to not be the best idea. I don't want to go back to pre-algebra. I have to do some kind of math per the state. I'm not sure what to go to next.

Math is not my strong suit by any stretch of the imagination. And dh is more helpless at it than I am. There is no going to the local high school to take algebra even though legally we have that option (there is never an opening).

Any ideas?

Do you have an idea why algebra is hard for her? After a long time and a lot of pain, I found out my ds was weak in some basic functions that made algebra harder than it should have been. Alek's is a good interim solution while you find something different. Fred with the home companion is also another choice - it has s different-enough presentation that your dd might be able to get it. Key to Algebra is another choice to look at because it covers algebra in small steps.

How did your dd do with fractions? How about factoring? My ds turned out to have been weak in both of those areas which caused him lots of pain in algebra.

Do you have an idea why algebra is hard for her? After a long time and a lot of pain, I found out my ds was weak in some basic functions that made algebra harder than it should have been. Alek's is a good interim solution while you find something different. Fred with the home companion is also another choice - it has s different-enough presentation that your dd might be able to get it. Key to Algebra is another choice to look at because it covers algebra in small steps.

How did your dd do with fractions? How about factoring? My ds turned out to have been weak in both of those areas which caused him lots of pain in algebra.

Thanks I'll look at your suggestions.

No problems with fractions or factoring.

The problem seems to be using the axioms properly. She has order of operations, but moving beyond that it becomes a guessing game as to what to do next. It is difficult to explain.

Things are better with Structure and Method than they are with MUS.

I think your student might benefit from an actual teacher or tutor who can answer her questions and explain concepts. Have you looked into Jann's classes?

If you or your DH can't help her, then using a canned program may not be ideal, because she can't ask anybody.

ETA: Oh, and what axioms are you talking about?

Has she understood that a balanced equation works like a scale? That you can put the same thing on each of the sides, or take away the same thing form each side, and the scale will still be in equilibrium? Once the student makes this connection, she does not have to memorize anything but has to simply remain careful about doing the same thing to both sides of the equation.

Learning challenging algebraic concepts from a traditional textbook 'only' such as Dolciani (my old Algebra text btw) does not work for most student. In fact those textbooks are really student workbooks designed to be supplemented by classroom lessons which eleborate on the concepts 'briefly' addressed in the book. I agree with Regentrude that a teacher can really help your dd. There are many options including online courses, those with full lectures live or recorded and tutoring options. I would as a minimim look for something with lectures explaining these concepts to her. Here are a few good ones, though there are many more:

Derek Owens

Jann in texas

TabletClass

Math without Borders/ Foerster

Khan Academy as supplemental

AoPS Algebra videos

I think your student might benefit from an actual teacher or tutor who can answer her questions and explain concepts. Have you looked into Jann's classes?

If you or your DH can't help her, then using a canned program may not be ideal, because she can't ask anybody.

ETA: Oh, and what axioms are you talking about?

Has she understood that a balanced equation works like a scale? That you can put the same thing on each of the sides, or take away the same thing form each side, and the scale will still be in equilibrium? Once the student makes this connection, she does not have to memorize anything but has to simply remain careful about doing the same thing to both sides of the equation.

Jann really helped one of my sons. We used her as a tutor twice a week. We also had success with LiveOnlineMath for another ds. Like Jann's services, there are tutors, as well as live classes.

If you go the online route, I would recommend a live class. That way, your dd can ask questions as soon as she has them. Ds13 uses Derek's Algebra, which has pre-recorded lessons. DS really enjoys it, but if there is a question, a student has to be proactive and email the teacher. Not all kids will do that.

I would definitely not skip on to geometry this year. In fact, I would take algebra slowly. Two years, if necessary.

Best wishes!

Jann really helped one of my sons. We used her as a tutor twice a week. We also had success with LiveOnlineMath for another ds. Like Jann's services, there are tutors, as well as live classes.

If you go the online route, I would recommend a live class. That way, your dd can ask questions as soon as she has them. Ds13 uses Derek's Algebra, which has pre-recorded lessons. DS really enjoys it, but if there is a question, a student has to be proactive and email the teacher. Not all kids will do that.

I would definitely not skip on to geometry this year. In fact, I would take algebra slowly. Two years, if necessary.

Best wishes!

Great advice from Lisabees, especially regarding Algebra 1 which is the basis for all higher level math. Two years is a good idea, especially for those struggling with it. Its really that important to understand vs. simply survive.

Real World Algebra by Edward Zaccaro is a super-straightforward introduction to algebra. In my experience as a student and teacher (college, master's, PhD-level), calling something an "axiom" makes a concept alien and terrifying. Generally, it's common sense expressed in scary symbols. Zaccaro explains things intuitively.

If you, the teacher, are scared by the symbols, having someone else explain and defuse it may well be the answer. She may be sensing your insecurity on the topic and adopting it herself.

Real World Algebra by Edward Zaccaro is a super-straightforward introduction to algebra. In my experience as a student and teacher (college, master's, PhD-level), calling something an "axiom" makes a concept alien and terrifying. Generally, it's common sense expressed in scary symbols. Zaccaro explains things intuitively.

If you, the teacher, are scared by the symbols, having someone else explain and defuse it may well be the answer. She may be sensing your insecurity on the topic and adopting it herself.

Thanks for the recommendation.

No, I'm not math phobic. It has just been over 30 years and at the time it wasn't my strong suite.

I meant no insult, I hope you did not take it as such! We all have topics we like more or less, and kids sense it. I am planning to outsource art for that reason - I haven't an artistic bone in my body.

Couple more curricular thoughts:

- We are going to start using Algebra Keys for some practice. Nice, digestible packets of problems that focus on a specific skill. It kind of reminds me of Khan Academy, but on paper.

-We use Khan when he runs into a roadblock. Having a third party explain the topic, and having the computer to curse at instead of me, defuses the situation.

Good luck!

My dh and I were looking at different algebra books this weekend. I really

struggled with the Dolciani but dh really loved it. Dolciani is fairly symbolic

whereas Lial uses a lot more exposition. In addition to making sure the foundational computational skills are in place,and looking at some of the online tutoring stuff, I'd consider spending $10 on amazon and picking up a different book.

• 3 weeks later...