Menu

McGuffey Readers? I think I want them.

Walking-Iris

We went to a children's museum today that had a Magic Tree House exhibit. One of the exhibits was a little one room schoolhouse and we dressed up in period clothes and my kids sat on little benches and I rang a bell and we played at school on little chalk slates. The exhibit had these McGuffy readers available for the kids to look at and it was the 1st time I have ever seen one in person. We really had fun using them and playing at school just like Jack and Annie.

Now I think these books would be fun to own (for school and just because I'm a bit of a book collector and they're historical documents in and of themselves, right?). I already know I want to focus on US History next year and read the Little House series, so I'm thinking these books would be fun to use.

What exactly is the difference between the Mott Media set and these?

I don't know about the version differences, but I have heard on here that the updated version made the language a bit more modern and took out some references to "negroes" or other ickies.

I had the 3rd eclectic reader and I have no idea what I did with it. My oldest used it until 1st-2nd grade and then I lost track of it. we did it for read aloud practice. They're actually quite good and I was considering getting a few more for my 8 yo and then a 2nd or 3rd eclectic reader (not McGuffey-the one they use in the Wilder books) because my kids are interested in them from hearing about them in the books. If you google this board and McGuffey, there are some really good threads on how to use them. :)

I bought the cheaper set (published by John Wiley and Son) available on Amazon. They are considerably less expensive than the Mott set. I don't love the paper they are printed on. However, I can't tell if the more expensive set would be different. The Wiley ones are Revised.

Look! here is our WTM Kalamanak's review from Amazon:

"

Look! There is a Well-Trained-Minder's review on Amazon:

13 of 22 people found the following review helpful

2.0 out of 5 stars Later (Wiley and Son's version) preferred, December 7, 2007

By

kalanamak (USA) - See all my reviews

This review is from: McGuffey Series (McGuffeys Eclectic Readers Series) (Hardcover) I have a boxed set of the Mott Media version and the Wiley and Sons version. The Mott reprint is from th 1830's and it has really rough graphics compared to the version from the 1870's or so. The content in more doomsday as well. Still in the 19th century style, the Wiley reprint is not dreary and dark, not only in print, but in content.

I showed the two sets to my K son and he said the Wiley was "grandpa's" (indeed his GF and GM used it in school!). Shown the Mott Media, he said "great-great-GREAT Grandpa" and turned back to the Wiley reprint.

We use the ones by Wiley. I'm not sure what the difference is, b/c I bought the Wiley ones before I had heard of the Mott ones (although I think the Mott ones are suppose to have more christian content.) The Wiley ones have many stories that teach good character (hard work, honesty etc.). I have my boys read out of them 2 or 3 times per week to work on their oral reading. I think they are fairly challenging. The 5th book especially has ramped up quite a bit this year in terms of vocab.

The newer Eclectic version is phonics based. The older Mott Media version uses the sight word method.

There are quality audio files available at CBD, for the Eclectic version, that aid the student in exemplary reading aloud skills that some of us are not able to teach, as we never learned those skills ourselves. Levels 5 and 6 contain vocabulary words some of us teachers do not know how to pronounce. There are pronunciation charts for each word, but having the audios is nice.

We love our McGuffey's here too. I have up through the Second Reader in the Mott version and the whole set of the newer version. I have not closely compared the content but I do like the phonics focus that the newer ones have and I have still found great content in the newer ones. They are excellent for teaching careful reading and oral expression. My kids read one lesson to me a day and we use the cursive portions for copywork and dictation (though there aren't many of those). On the days we use it for copywork and/or dictation they do not do their regular copywork. If they make more than one mistake within the lesson or section of a lesson (they number the sections at some point) they have to go back and read that section again. I write out the words at the beginning of the lesson on a whiteboard and I make sure they can read those first before we begin. I also read the selection aloud first so they can hear what it should sound like with proper expression and then they read it to me. It works so well, is so easy and quick, and I love the content and how it makes us feel connected to American education and families from long ago. They are awesome!

The newer Eclectic version is phonics based. The older Mott Media version uses the sight word method.

This. I use the 1879 version with many of my remedial students, and suggest it for parents to build up vocabulary and phonics for most of my students.

You can see the 1879 version online for free at Gutenburg, you need the PDF to get the whole flavor, the diacritical markings are very helpful and also the PDF has pictures.

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/search/?query=mcguffey+reader

Links to them all

PDF of the 4th reader, the first level for which there are reading comprehension questions, I think.

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/14880/14880-pdf.pdf

There are quality audio files available at CBD, for the Eclectic version, that aid the student in exemplary reading aloud skills that some of us are not able to teach, as we never learned those skills ourselves. Levels 5 and 6 contain vocabulary words some of us teachers do not know how to pronounce. There are pronunciation charts for each word, but having the audios is nice.

Any links for audio files and pronunciation charts?