Menu

Colleges/Universities with a strong ROTC program? (edited OP)

Unicorn.

you can do early commissioning after 2 years at a few junior military colleges. After commissioning, I believe you have 3 years to finish your degree while serving in the ROTC program at the university where you transfer.

New Mexico Military Institute

Valley Forge

Wentworth

Marion

Georgia Military College

My dh and I are both UTSA commissionees! UTSA has the best Air Force ROTC unit in the country. Check out their program!

Here's an article: http://utsa.edu/toda...frotcaward.html

Not far enough away! Just kidding! (mostly)

He wants to be a Marine. :( He started off wanting AF, but changed his mind and won't budge. Even when I remind him how much he likes to eat, and how great the food is in the USAF, he just laughs at me. I'll have him take a look though. UT though... (shudder) that would be hard- we bleed maroon around here. :D

Unicorn , are you an Aggie? I met my husband at A & M, he had come down to get his PHD there. I was living with my aunt who got her degree there and still works there in recruitment . Before dh came there, my previous boyfriend was in the corp there and became an officer and navigator in the air force. I loved the campus and living in Bryan/College Station.

Unicorn , are you an Aggie? I met my husband at A & M, he had come down to get his PHD there. I was living with my aunt who got her degree there and still works there in recruitment . Before dh came there, my previous boyfriend was in the corp there and became an officer and navigator in the air force. I loved the campus and living in Bryan/College Station.

Yes. It's a family tradition! I met dh there while he was working on his PhD!

My dad, sister, uncle, cousins, etc all went to A&M, as did several of dh's family. Ds and dd2 both want to go, too.

Of course, he has some of those burnt orange people on his side, too. :p

Besides the actual Military academies, and Texas A&M University, what other schools have a top notch ROTC program as well as academic program?

ETA: He wants to major in History, so it needs a strong History program. And if it matters, he wants to join the Marines.

I believe the only ROTC that leads to the Marines is Navy ROTC. The extensive list of colleges with Navy ROTC programs is here: http://www.nrotc.nav...c_unitsXP3.aspx (click the "show all" button on the right)

I don't know about majors; I'd ask on the high school or college boards. I'd work on planning a potential career path with the chosen major both within the military and outside of it should the military not work out.

I believe the only ROTC that leads to the Marines is Navy ROTC. The extensive list of colleges with Navy ROTC programs is here: http://www.nrotc.nav...c_unitsXP3.aspx (click the "show all" button on the right)

I don't know about majors; I'd ask on the high school or college boards. I'd work on planning a potential career path with the chosen major both within the military and outside of it should the military not work out.

Thank You! That link is very helpful.

you can do early commissioning after 2 years at a few junior military colleges. After commissioning, I believe you have 3 years to finish your degree while serving in the ROTC program at the university where you transfer.

New Mexico Military Institute

Valley Forge

Wentworth

Marion

Georgia Military College

You can also serve in the reserves or National Guard as a 2LT while finishing your 4 year degree.

ETA: He wants to major in History, so it needs a strong History program. And if it matters, he wants to join the Marines.

No history majors this year. They only offered scholarships for STEM and some languages (as in, you couldn't even apply without checking one of those boxes)

It changes every year, based on the needs of the service.

Another vote for North Georgia University! Loved it there!

The military colleges function differently than the military academies in that at a college, you are not obligated to go into the Army unless you have accepted an Army ROTC scholarship. The year I graduated, the vast majority of those who commissioned went into the Army. We had a few commission into the Air Force and one to the Navy, so their Army ROTC did help them. Some commissioned into the Army Reserves or the Georgia Army National Guard. Many didn't commission into any service, but keep in mind that they didn't take an Army scholarship while they were there, either. Many of my classmates were reservists in the Georgia Army National Guard during their school years as well. There would be nothing preventing your son from serving in the Navy Reserves during college as long as he plans his time well.