Menu

Girl Scout Rant

Murmer

I was interested in getting DD into Girl Scout for social skills help. So I emailed them in the summer to find out if there is even an active troop in the area. The response I got back was pay them the money and they will see if there is a troop. I don't want to give someone money without knowing if my DD can actually do something...the individual option is NOT an option for her or me at this time. So I went to a meeting on Sat to ask a human being if there were any Daisy troops...and she said she doesn't know so she would email me. And yet again I got another well pay money and we will see if there is a place for her but if not tough luck you are left doing it by yourself and we have your money. So frustrating why can't I get a yes or no there is or is not a local troop GRRRRRR.

That's just weird. You might want to call your council for answers. They might not be able to place your daughter until she's registered, but they should be able to tell you about active troops that might have space.

You might have to call until you get a GS employee. The volunteers do the bulk of the work with girls, but it's Council that makes the placements. Some councils are much more organized than others.

I was interested in getting DD into Girl Scout for social skills help. So I emailed them in the summer to find out if there is even an active troop in the area. The response I got back was pay them the money and they will see if there is a troop. I don't want to give someone money without knowing if my DD can actually do something...the individual option is NOT an option for her or me at this time. So I went to a meeting on Sat to ask a human being if there were any Daisy troops...and she said she doesn't know so she would email me. And yet again I got another well pay money and we will see if there is a place for her but if not tough luck you are left doing it by yourself and we have your money. So frustrating why can't I get a yes or no there is or is not a local troop GRRRRRR.

That's ridiculous. Why would you pay to join something before learning if it is even appropriate for your child?

Ugh!

My dd is a GS. We get a LOT of money requests from our local council, often with suggested minimum amounts that are $$$$$$$$ imo.

You just made me realize that there is no 'find a troop' function as there is for Boy/Cub Scouts.

The best way might be to go into your local council and ask -- ridiculous in this day and age, but if that is the only way??

Our council does have a troop finder function on their website, but that doesn't mean they all do. If you don't want to pony up your $12 for GS membership and your council won't help without being registered, I'd wait till ps starts in the fall and look for signs at your local elementary school. That's the time that troops form and you will probably have better luck then. In my area, all the public schools and some private schools host troops, so they're not hard to find, although the public school troops can hit their maximum number quickly because meeting space is limited.

If you can't find a troop now, you might still want to join so that you can do council level activities. Our council offers a LOT of interest groups and badge classes that are open to Juliettes (girls who are scouts but don't belong to a troop). It also gives you a sizable discout on summer camp and access to day camp.

I'll also second asking at GS cookie booths.

Yeah, when my kids were Daisy age, I tried to find a troop. I was told there wasn't one near me. I offered to start one and be the leader. I knew I would have a full troop just from dd's K class. I even had the school (private) agree to allow us to have meetings there. The kids finished at noon. We could have lunch and then meet. I was snubbed. No one would ever call me back. I decided it wasn't worth the trouble.

My mother agrees with me. She has been involved with GSs for years and years. She hates where it is now and will no longer be involved.

Yeah, when my kids were Daisy age, I tried to find a troop. I was told there wasn't one near me. I offered to start one and be the leader. I knew I would have a full troop just from dd's K class. I even had the school (private) agree to allow us to have meetings there. The kids finished at noon. We could have lunch and then meet. I was snubbed. No one would ever call me back. I decided it wasn't worth the trouble.

My mother agrees with me. She has been involved with GSs for years and years. She hates where it is now and will no longer be involved.

I had the exact opposite happen in almost the same situation.

I looked for a Daisy troop. There wasn't one. I was asked if I'd like to start one. I said yes. I did start one at our catholic parish school with mostly Catholic girls. We had the troop for years and years.

ETA: I posted this to illustrate that everyone's experience with GS is different, not to be contradictory.

Our council does have a troop finder function on their website, but that doesn't mean they all do. If you don't want to pony up your $12 for GS membership and your council won't help without being registered, I'd wait till ps starts in the fall and look for signs at your local elementary school. That's the time that troops form and you will probably have better luck then. In my area, all the public schools and some private schools host troops, so they're not hard to find, although the public school troops can hit their maximum number quickly because meeting space is limited.

If you can't find a troop now, you might still want to join so that you can do council level activities. Our council offers a LOT of interest groups and badge classes that are open to Juliettes (girls who are scouts but don't belong to a troop). It also gives you a sizable discout on summer camp and access to day camp.

Cookies are sold at different times of the year in different councils so in murmer's area it might not be cookie time.

Wow, I'm sorry they are treating you like this. I was lucky that the people we talked to were nice. Are you contacting the closest council?

Yes this is through the closed council...which covers 2 states.

That's just weird. You might want to call your council for answers. They might not be able to place your daughter until she's registered, but they should be able to tell you about active troops that might have space.

You might have to call until you get a GS employee. The volunteers do the bulk of the work with girls, but it's Council that makes the placements. Some councils are much more organized than others.

The first email was straight to the council and the second was in person with the person from the council over my area.

something sure sounds fishy there. I have two relatives who RUN Girl scout troops and never operate like that.

I would call your local council.

Also, right now all the girls are selling cookies. Go up to the parents that are out in your neighborhood and ask.

Part of the problem is that I know that Girl Scouts is not as active in this area. That is why I don't want to sign my dd up without knowing if there was even a troop in the area.

The area is not active so there has been no information from the school. In the 4 years I have been here 2 working in the school I knew of 1 troop of Brownies that was formed because a mom wanted her dd in girl scouts. This is why I am asking if there is even a troop. I understand that they have other activities but dd needs to not be with me and I need her to learn social skills outside of me because if I am there she refuses to talk or participate in ANYTHING.

They sound like they are asking you to register your DD, not pay them money to find her a troop.

If you don't want to pay, ask for a fee waiver if you can. We gave them all the time.

Plus is your DD still 4, as your signature states?

Daisies start in kindergarten .

Yes I have to register before I can even find out if there is a troop within 30 minutes of were I live. I do not want to sign my child up unless she can be part of a troop because she needs a troop that is not ME! They refuse to tell me if there are any troops unless I pay them money at which point I am out the money and don't get anything for it other than tough luck.

Yes dd is 5 I always forget about my siggies :blush:

My dd does American Heritage Girls and is in K (Pathfinder). We didn't have to pay any money up front and ended up being able to pay for registration, uniforms, and dues through our fundraiser. They have a troop finder function on their websit. If you are interested in a Christ centered scouting troop, this could be a good option. Also a sizable number of our troop out homeschoolers, so a nice bonus ;)

Are there other choices in your area, such as AHG, Campfire, etc.? What about Cloverbuds in 4-H? Our GS are barely alive--it's like anything else--the troops need strong leaders. After comparing GSUSA and BSA, BSA wins hands-down for organization. Of course, that meant I did 3 hours of paperwork this morning FOR BSA...

I agree. Look for some of the other programs. GS is ridiculous. Check w/ local homeschool coops for activities and ideas, or even clubs like scouts.

And Margaret- the amount of paperwork for GS is way worse than BSA. I swear if they said to fill out a piece of paper allowing my dd to go to the restroom, it wouldn't surprise me at all. I'm so glad my girls quit this year! Now they want me to find a venture crew for them! :D