Menu

n/m

hsmom2011

I would recommend giving salicylic acid PEEL a try. I WOULD NOT recommend any cream with salicylic acid or any toners or alcohol wipes.

Rosacea can be worsened by inflammation and by oil production. Salicylic acid is very effective in reducing both, but it can be a powerful irritant if not washed off. Start with a 10% peel (dilute Skin Laboratory's 20% by 50%! http://www.skinlaboratory.com/ ) twice a week, then move up to 20% if your skin gets used to it. This is likely to be less irritating than benzoyl peroxide or tretinoin, which are in many prescription meds.

If the topical antibiotics are causing irritation (Metrocream, Metrogel, etc.), give oral ones a try, instead.

For a daily moisturizer, you want something with little to no ethanol, no perfume, plenty of anti-irritants, and strong moisturizers.

I formulate my own moisturizers, but this looks really good: http://cerave.com/our-products/moisturizing-cream/ This would be more effective with petrolatum, but I like the niacinamide: http://cerave.com/our-products/facial-moisturizing-lotion-pm/

I am extremely interested to find out if the Silk'n or Tria home laser/IPL hair removal systems works to reduce rosacea inflammation. I'm skeptical, but it's an interesting thought.

I take Oracea. It's very mild but it works wonders. Metrogel never did much for me, but with Oracea the breakouts are nearly gone. If I run out for several days, bam. My skin is still reddish, and I'm not sure anything would fix that at this point.

I saw a big improvement with the Finacea. I apply it every night after I wash my face, and sometimes I spot-dab it on in the morning.

The absolute best thing I have found is Cerave moisturizer. I use the PM face lotion twice a day, and not only does it help the regular rosacea symptoms, it instantly soothes the awful itchy, dry feeling I used to have all winter. My skin looks better using just the Cerave than it ever did when I was on a mix of topical and oral prescription meds.

My rosacea gets really bad this time of year too. I use Cetaphil moisturizer (applied generously) and foundation on top of the moisturizer if I'm going to leave the house (extra protection against the wind and cold.) Sometimes when the flareups are particularly bad, I do need to take a very low-dose antibiotic for a few days. I take doxycycline, which is Rx but the generic only costs about $6.

• 2 weeks later...

This stuff is awesome! I went out and purchased the CeraVe AM & PM along with the foaming face wash. My skin has improved tremendously already. My skin is also very sensitive to a lot of sunscreens, and so far I have been tolerating the AM lotion with the SPF 30 very well. :)

I am so glad it is working for you! I really don't know what I would do without it, especially this time of year.