Menu

The essentials for 3rd grade: Help me plan and decide

If you were planning 3rd grade for a bright student who was not "behind" in any area...

... AND you were perhaps planning to move during that 3rd grade year....

... AND you had other things in the works that were important parts of her development, but that might take time away from home (limited to that one school year)...

... AND you also had two 1st graders to teach...

... what would be the BARE ESSENTIALS in formal academic work for that one 3rd grade year?

IOW, if you had to pare down that one year to the MINIMUM amount of work, what would you focus on and what would you do/use?

For a frame of reference, she is doing extremely well this year and her 2nd grade line-up looks like this:

Math

Horizons Math 2

Math Mammoth (supplement)

Kumon workbooks (supplement)

Online resources for fun and variety

Reading

Evan-Moor Poetry Guides

MP 2nd Grade Literature Guides

Guided Reading

K-12 Readers, Volumes 2, 3A & 3B

McGuffey's 3rd Eclectic Reader

2nd Grade Book Basket

30 minutes/day

Spelling

AAS, Level 3 & Level 4 (part)

Vocabulary

English from the Roots Up, Volume 1 (cards)

Grammar

FLL, Level 3 (only the grammar; no poems; no narrations)

Memory Work

2nd Grade Memory Packet (several poems we choose ourselves)

Composition

WWE, Level 2

Real Life Writing (lists, letters, reports, short descriptions)

French

Ecoutez, Parlez -- Volumes 1 & 2 (aural/oral course)

Latin

Prima Latina

Music (Instrument)

Recorder lessons (home)

Music (Theory)

Music Theory, Book 1

Group Learning:

Bible

Bible Reading

Bible Storytelling (felts)

Bible Storybook Read Aloud

Scripture Memory Work

Hymns (sing 3/week)

What the Bible Is All About for Young Explorers (OT chapters)

Literature (read alouds)

Chapter Book Read Alouds

Audio Books (CDs)

Aesop for Children

D'Aulaires Greek Myths

D'Aulaires Norse Myths

My Book House, Volume 3

My Book House, Volume 4

Fifty Famous Stories

Beautiful Stories from Shakespeare

Golden Treasury of Poetry

Geography (maps, songs, puzzles)

United States Geography

History (mostly read alouds, some hands-on)

American History, Part 1

Science (mostly read alouds)

Geology

Weather/Water

Nature Study

Focus on observing:

Rocks

Weather

Build skills in:

Packing for a nature hike

Journaling

That's 2nd grade, and it's going well. I don't want to fix what isn't broken -- we could just keep going along the same lines for 3rd grade, move into the next level for everything, go further along the timeline for history, study astronomy for science, etc. But in light of a few upcoming circumstances, it might be better to decide what is essential, and what isn't.

Any thoughts?

Wow that's a lot.

But if it's working, I guess I'd second, "If it ain't broke don't fix it".

Mine had a lot less formal stuff at that age, but I keep putting non-fiction titles around that I know she'll read and re-read and drink in, so she gains much of her education that way. I know this because of the amazing discussions.

So we really do mostly 3R's regularly/formally. But that couple of years was very disrupted for my dd (and her mum).

In fact even maths was very hit and miss. However when we came back properly we were able to fast track and miss pages and even whole levels, as she had picked it up informally. We do a lot of swapping tough maths problems and great conversations while driving.

Tough years provide a heck of a lot of unexpected educations, experiences and often resistance building.

If they could package all that into a programme they'd make a mint.

So do take that into consideration, this may be the 'special programme' you are including this year.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Thanks, Pod's Mum.

You're right, it is a lot, in a way. Then again, quite a bit of it is read alouds, and those we do as a group. Some of it is quick assignments, some is more time-consuming. We work our way through, in no particular hurry.

I see some things lining up next year (3rd) that will conspire against this amount of at-home seatwork, not only moving (which we need to do), but opportunities for other things (they may not line up, so I'd rather not say for now). And I'm curious how other people "do" 3rd grade, because I think I have a tendency to line up too much.

So, what would you do, if you needed and/or wanted to do less than this (above)? And does a short span of "hit or miss" really work, in the long run, or does it get the child irreparably behind?

Math

Horizons Math 3

Reading

Evan-Moor Poetry Guides

MP 3nd Grade Literature Guides

3nd Grade Book Basket

30 minutes/day

Spelling

AAS, Level 3 & Level 4 (part) - do the next level

Vocabulary

English from the Roots Up, Volume 1 (cards) - optional as time allows, do the next level

Grammar

FLL, Level 4

Memory Work

2nd Grade Memory Packet (several poems) - eliminate, as FLL, level 4 contains poem memorization

Composition

WWE, Level 3

Latin

Prima Latina - do the next level

Group Learning:

Bible

Bible Reading

Literature (read alouds)

Chapter Book Read Alouds

Audio Books (CDs)

American History, Part 1 - do the next level

Unit studies of your choice - mostly read alouds

This is how I would hack up your beautiful, rigorous schedule. I do think this is a perfectly fine third grade year, all the same. :)

And does a short span of "hit or miss" really work, in the long run, or does it get the child irreparably behind?

My kids did a less than rigorous schedule while I was working full-time. After a school year of this schedule, no one was behind, much less irreparably so. Hope that gives you encouragement. :)

Wow, you do a lot! Looking through for ideas. :)

Since things are not certain yet, I would list your subjects in priority order. Start with the core subjects that are most important to you, then add as you are able to depending on how that is going. Chose just one curriculum per subject and add supplements are you are able to (but don't sweat it if you don't get to those supplements).

Your priorities may be different, but here is what I would start with:

Book list + discussion (include character)

Writing (introduce and practice different styles - story, report, persuasive, "how to", etc.)

Math (just one curriculum)

second language

science through reading/videos

P.E.

If that was working and I was ready to add, I would add:

science through experimentation

social studies (history, civics, economics)

spelling, grammar, usage, vocabulary

After that:

typing

music

art

third language

cursive

poetry

theater

supplements to above subjects

That's a lot. I do less than that with my 3rd graders and no (outside of special needs) extenuating circumstances so I'm not sure I should reply!

But if I (already a minimalist compared) were going to pare down to 3rd grade essentials it would be:

1. Math (one of them....if Horizons is your main math and it's working well that's what I would do unless it has some glaring something missing).

2. Reading (her reading aloud to you and on her own daily)

3. Spelling; Is sticking with AAS doable? How to Teach Spelling is Workbook based and follows the same approach as AAS. If you want to stick with AAS I'd be hesitant to do something radically different.

4. Composition (this would be my handwriting practice too). Perhaps just continue with WWE if it's working.

5. Pick the bible that you feel is most meaningful for her spiritual formation. Your memory work can be bible verses.

I personally don't consider the other subjects musts at her age under the circumstances you describe. I think it's perfectly fine to explore other topics (science, history, etc.) using read alouds, documentaries, websites, etc. as you can. It would be easy to add in SOTW audios while traveling by car if you're going to be doing a lot of that. I don't think it's ideal to let go of those things as they are often enjoyable. But I did just the basics when we were moving.

I'm thinking, though, that your perspective on musts is probably different. At a minimum I would pick only one curriculum for each subject I considered a must. Beyond that I would see if certain things can be reasonably combined.

I think it looks like a lot written out like that but some things go together. I presume history & geography go together. Science & nature study would go under the same heading. I would also cut down to 1 main math & supplements are non-essential.

I'd probably cut the memory work & just use passages from bible, languages etc. There's also a lot of language arts there so I'd look for ways to combine, eg. Vocab from literature instead of separate. Music theory could probably wait another year...

Looks like you're doing a great job!

If you were planning 3rd grade for a bright student who was not "behind" in any area...

... AND you were perhaps planning to move during that 3rd grade year....

... AND you had other things in the works that were important parts of her development, but that might take time away from home (limited to that one school year)...

... AND you also had two 1st graders to teach...

... what would be the BARE ESSENTIALS in formal academic work for that one 3rd grade year?

IOW, if you had to pare down that one year to the MINIMUM amount of work, what would you focus on and what would you do/use?

For a frame of reference, she is doing extremely well this year and her 2nd grade line-up looks like this:

Math

Horizons Math 2

Reading

MP 3rd Grade Literature Guides

2nd Grade Book Basket

30 minutes/day

Spelling

AAS finish level 4 and move onto 5

Vocabulary

English from the Roots Up, Volume 1 (cards) (next level if you want, or skip)

Grammar

FLL, Level 4

Composition

WWE, Level 3

PICK 1 to continue: French or Latin

French

Latin

Prima Latina

Music (Instrument) skip or continue.

Recorder lessons (home)

Music (Theory)

Music Theory, Book 1

Group Learning:

Bible

Bible Reading

Scripture Memory Work

Hymns (sing 3/week)

American History, Part 2

Science (mostly read alouds) NEXT TOPIC

Geology

Weather/Water

That's 2nd grade, and it's going well. I don't want to fix what isn't broken -- we could just keep going along the same lines for 3rd grade, move into the next level for everything, go further along the timeline for history, study astronomy for science, etc. But in light of a few upcoming circumstances, it might be better to decide what is essential, and what isn't.

Any thoughts?

Sorry I couldn't bold or change the color of my responses...I am new board challenged ;)

Math

Horizons Math 2

2nd Grade Book Basket

30 minutes/day

Spelling

Memory Work

2nd Grade Memory Packet (several poems)

Composition

WWE, Level 2

Music (Instrument)

Recorder lessons (home)

Music (Theory)

Music Theory, Book 1

Bible

Bible Reading

Scripture Memory Work

Hymns (sing 3/week)

Literature (read alouds)

Chapter Book Read Alouds

Audio Books (CDs)

Aesop for Children

D'Aulaires Greek Myths

D'Aulaires Norse Myths

My Book House, Volume 3

My Book House, Volume 4

Fifty Famous Stories

American History, Part 1

Nature Study

Focus on observing:

Rocks

Weather

These are my suggestions, using just the materials you're already using (instead of adding something that I might like better).

You're doing way more than I am for 3rd grade, but I'll input anyway. :)

Math - Pick one math and stick with it.

Horizons Math 2

Reading - Literature guides can wait until logic stage.

Evan-Moor Poetry Guides

Guided Reading - keep

2nd Grade Book Basket - keep

30 minutes/day

Spelling - keep, or if you need something more independent and less time consuming, switch to R&S Spelling (still teaches the phonics and syllabication)

Vocabulary - If she's reading and getting plenty of read alouds, I don't think vocab is absolutely necessary at this stage.

Grammar - keep

FLL, Level 3

Memory Work - FLL has memory work

Composition - keep

WWE, Level 2

French

Latin

Prima Latina

Music (Instrument)

Recorder lessons (home)

Music (Theory)

Music Theory, Book 1

Group Learning:

Bible - keep, but maybe pare down a bit during moving and such (just read the Bible Storybook, work on memory work and hymns?)

Bible Reading

Scripture Memory Work

Hymns (sing 3/week)

Literature (read alouds) - Keep as bedtime reading :)

Chapter Book Read Alouds

Audio Books (CDs)

Aesop for Children

D'Aulaires Greek Myths

D'Aulaires Norse Myths

My Book House, Volume 3

My Book House, Volume 4

Fifty Famous Stories

All of the below (in orange) I would do IF you have time, but also not worry if you can't get to it. You could do absolutely no history or science all year and not be "behind" in 3rd grade. ;) Plus your read-alouds will hit these topics.

United States Geography

American History, Part 1

Geology

Weather/Water

Nature Study

Focus on observing:

Rocks

Weather

Anything I crossed out is stuff you *can* cross out if you don't have time for it. I'm not at all saying that you *should* remove it if your schedule works for you while moving and all that. So those things would be the first things I'd remove. You absolutely need math, reading (not literary analysis, but reading for enjoyment/learning), composition, and Bible... and read-alouds. Everything else could technically go by the wayside, even grammar. ;) So make your list of what you absolutely "must do" each week, and then have the rest listed as "if we can fit it in". Then in 4th grade, you could add all that stuff back in if your schedule has calmed down. I don't think it will harm her in the least.

So, what would you do, if you needed and/or wanted to do less than this (above)? And does a short span of "hit or miss" really work, in the long run, or does it get the child irreparably behind?

Both my kids got behind in various things at different times during fairly appalling years when we had bigger fish to deal with.

The only things that suffered were spelling, handwriting and maths.

And it was not irreparable. (All of us will always be bad spellers. That bit of our brains is wired differently. I triple edit most posts I make.)

My eldest went to school for a while, but missed a lot with hospitalisation. They offered a few sessions of one-on-one time each week and after a year she'd caught up a bit with spelling and fallen behind with maths (which had been very good).

She then forgot most of the spelling again a few weeks later.

You will be giving more than 3 one-on-one sessions each week.

Home ed is better than the best remedial assistance school can give.

So even if, like us, you dropped the basket for most of two years, more than once, your kids will not stop learning. Because at that age, they can't.

I don't recommend you do nothing! Just that when that happened to us, my kids still kept learning anyway and caught up fairly quickly. It was actually stunning how much of their unused books they knew anyway once we dug them out again. We skipped whole levels in many things.

I LOVE how beautifully un-screwed up my daughter is.

Remedial that dosen't work so well.

I've never heard of any parents of older Home Educated kids who weren't able to make the up slacker / less efficient education in younger years, and I have many friends with graduates.

Hope this helps. You've been given some good advice by others here too. Good luck with your journey.

This is how I would hack up your beautiful, rigorous schedule. I do think this is a perfectly fine third grade year, all the same. :)

Thanks! That's funny, hack up my beautiful, rigorous schedule, LOL.

Yes, it's "rigorous," which isn't exactly a bad thing, with this child, but... I wonder, sometimes... KWIM? She's so... bright. Bookish. Flaky. Artsy-fartsy. Funny. Nerdy. And I keep imagining doing/trying something completely different for a year with her. I've posted about this before. It's like a calling, something I can't shake off. It's hard to explain, honestly.

With FLL/Memory Work, we don't do the poems in FLL, we just pick our own (she picks/I pick). I type them up, print them out, and put them in a ProClick binder. So that's essentially the same amount, just our own choices.

I agree, the vocab cards could be put aside for a while, especially if we move into the next Latin level.

I might take a cue from this blog and drop formal science for a while, take regular nature walks, journal, get binoculars, bird guides, etc. I know in my heart that this approach would spiritually enrich this particular daughter, and would nurture us all. I love what Janet (blogger) is doing with her daughters up in the woods of NY State. :)

There is something in my heart for this kid, something that is the REASON we are keeping her home for her education -- so why make every day look like "school?" Why focus so much energy and time on seatwork? Sorry to blubber all over the board, LOL, but I suppose when I look ahead to the next few years, I know this child NEEDS something vastly different from the 3Rs + Content approach that has served her so well up to now and has established such a strong base upon which to build the next several years of her journey.

These are my suggestions, using just the materials you're already using (instead of adding something that I might like better).

Hi, Ellie. I was hoping you'd respond to this process I'm in. Your "easy-does-it" perspective always calms me down. Seriously, I do mean that. You are my Voice of Wisdom -- you and Boscopup. :) [i'll read Bosco's post next].

BUT... I don't see what you wrote. I can't see your suggestions. Could you, pretty please, write them up and post them again? Thanks!

You're doing way more than I am for 3rd grade, but I'll input anyway. :)

Math - Pick one math and stick with it.

Horizons Math 2

Reading - Literature guides can wait until logic stage.

Evan-Moor Poetry Guides

Guided Reading - keep

2nd Grade Book Basket - keep

30 minutes/day

Spelling - keep, or if you need something more independent and less time consuming, switch to R&S Spelling (still teaches the phonics and syllabication)

Vocabulary - If she's reading and getting plenty of read alouds, I don't think vocab is absolutely necessary at this stage.

Grammar - keep

FLL, Level 3

Memory Work - FLL has memory work

Composition - keep

WWE, Level 2

French

Latin

Prima Latina

Music (Instrument)

Recorder lessons (home)

Music (Theory)

Music Theory, Book 1

Group Learning:

Bible - keep, but maybe pare down a bit during moving and such (just read the Bible Storybook, work on memory work and hymns?)

Bible Reading

Scripture Memory Work

Hymns (sing 3/week)

Literature (read alouds) - Keep as bedtime reading :)

Chapter Book Read Alouds

Audio Books (CDs)

Aesop for Children

D'Aulaires Greek Myths

D'Aulaires Norse Myths

My Book House, Volume 3

My Book House, Volume 4

Fifty Famous Stories

All of the below (in orange) I would do IF you have time, but also not worry if you can't get to it. You could do absolutely no history or science all year and not be "behind" in 3rd grade. ;) Plus your read-alouds will hit these topics.

United States Geography

American History, Part 1

Geology

Weather/Water

Nature Study

Focus on observing:

Rocks

Weather

Anything I crossed out is stuff you *can* cross out if you don't have time for it. I'm not at all saying that you *should* remove it if your schedule works for you while moving and all that. So those things would be the first things I'd remove. You absolutely need math, reading (not literary analysis, but reading for enjoyment/learning), composition, and Bible... and read-alouds. Everything else could technically go by the wayside, even grammar. ;) So make your list of what you absolutely "must do" each week, and then have the rest listed as "if we can fit it in". Then in 4th grade, you could add all that stuff back in if your schedule has calmed down. I don't think it will harm her in the least.

Aaaahhhh, the Universal Equilibrium has spoken, Grasshopper. :)

Oh, sorry, I didn't see the changes at first, but I do now. Thanks, Ellie! I'll go back and take a closer look.

IF you were going to add something you like better, what would that be?

I have a grade 3 and a grade 2 student (I think in most countries he would be considered grade 1. He recently turned 7)

The subjects we do every day are:

History

Listen to one section of SOTW. Discussion. Copy work related to sentence.

Spelling

Spell several words from spelling list.

I dictate two sentences using some of those spelling words.

Reading

Has to read something. Right now that is usually 3 chapters of a "Secrets of Droon" book

Piano

Practice his stuff. Usually takes 10 to 15 minutes at max.

Sign language

Learn a new sign, or review some signs we use.

We listen to lots of books. We also play lots of board games, which for eldest right now covers math nicely enough. I do plan to buy beast academy when 3D is out.

The outside actives are swimming twice a week. One with daddy, once with a friend, oh - and piano lessons.

I have a grade 3 and a grade 2 student (I think in most countries he would be considered grade 1. He recently turned 7)

The subjects we do every day are:

History

Listen to one section of SOTW. Discussion. Copy work related to sentence.

Spelling

Spell several words from spelling list.

I dictate two sentences using some of those spelling words.

Reading

Has to read something. Right now that is usually 3 chapters of a "Secrets of Droon" book

Piano

Practice his stuff. Usually takes 10 to 15 minutes at max.

Sign language

Learn a new sign, or review some signs we use.

We listen to lots of books. We also play lots of board games, which for eldest right now covers math nicely enough. I do plan to buy beast academy when 3D is out.

The outside actives are swimming twice a week. One with daddy, once with a friend, oh - and piano lessons.

Thanks, Julie, this is helpful as I look ahead to 3rd grade.

If you really need to, I would cut it back to:

Math - pick one, skip the supplements unless necessary

Reading - silent reading

Grammar

Composition

Spelling

Geography

Science/health - independent reading/reading aloud/documentaries

History - continue, but might want to cut back on projects if you're doing them a lot

Music - continue with lessons as I wouldn't want to lose ground

Bible Story book

Latin and French are not essential but I don't know if you want to risk losing skills she has now to skip a year. So I would continue those if possible. If you don't have time to continue on, perhaps you could give reviews a few times a week so she doesn't lose skills, even if you can't keep up with new material. IMO, nothing will be lost if you don't do lit guides, poems, memory work, nature walks, or vocab for a year. She can easily learn new words if you point them out while reading aloud.

All this depends on what you enjoy a lot and what she would be heartbroken without, what's too risky to take a break from, etc.

But this is what I would call bare bones 3rd grade. Sometimes it's not cutting subjects so much as making them more independent and cutting back on projects and supplements. Keep it simple.

I have a first grader and third grader this year. And we moved twice this year, once in July and again in October. Here's dd's daily schedule.

Singapore/Saxon Math

Galore Park Jr. English

Sequential Spelling

Pentime handwriting

Silent reading time

Everything else has been done here and there when we find time. I also found an art class and a gymnastics program in our new town.