Menu

For those who don't like kids (except your own)...

I.Dup.

S/O of the confessions thread, I guess.

I've always loved children but don't really enjoy spending time with other people's children anymore. Maybe it's because I'm so maxxed out with my own, LOL.

Do you ever worry about how it will be when you have grandkids? OF COURSE we will all love our grandkids, but do you worry about how much you'll have to take care of them? I'm nervous how I will feel about taking care of grandkids after I've spent so many years taking care of so many of my own kids. I guess that's horrible, huh.

I don't worry about that specifically. I love my kids so much that I think I'll enjoy taking care of my grandchildren. I want to help my kids out a good bit with childcare. I do like other kids but like you, I'm so maxed out with my own kids that I just don't have it in me to take care of others.

before I had kids i was doing childcare on a commune (long story). I LOVE being with the kids,and was baffled that the parents often did not seem nearly as enthusiastic as I did. Then i had kids . . . the 24/7 without a REAL break wears you down.

I mean, i never really liked kids, i was even uncomfortable around them. and i dont hate all kids, i like some kids. but i really think that after you get a break from your own kids for a few years, and then you become a gramma, you will be really excited! You will want to bond with this child because s/he is part of your family. You wont have to take care of the child as much as you take care of your own - heck, my mom never spent more than an hour alone with my kids before they were school aged, and she pretty much refused to change diapers, so there's always that option. but i think you will be less burnt out and more ready for it

havent you seen the t-shirts that say "if i'd known grandkids would be this much fun, i would have had them first!"?

S/O of the confessions thread, I guess.

I've always loved children but don't really enjoy spending time with other people's children anymore. Maybe it's because I'm so maxxed out with my own, LOL.

Do you ever worry about how it will be when you have grandkids? OF COURSE we will all love our grandkids, but do you worry about how much you'll have to take care of them? I'm nervous how I will feel about taking care of grandkids after I've spent so many years taking care of so many of my own kids. I guess that's horrible, huh.

No, I don't worry about it. One of the advantages of being an OLD Mom. I had an old Mom, so my kids grew up (well, a few years, until she died) hearing, "Grandma is old, so you need to not tire her out." She was in her 70's when the oldest was born.

I suspect I will be too, so I think my kids will approach it the same way.

before I had kids i was doing childcare on a commune (long story). I LOVE being with the kids,and was baffled that the parents often did not seem nearly as enthusiastic as I did. Then i had kids . . . the 24/7 without a REAL break wears you down.

I mean, i never really liked kids, i was even uncomfortable around them. and i dont hate all kids, i like some kids. but i really think that after you get a break from your own kids for a few years, and then you become a gramma, you will be really excited! You will want to bond with this child because s/he is part of your family. You wont have to take care of the child as much as you take care of your own - heck, my mom never spent more than an hour alone with my kids before they were school aged, and she pretty much refused to change diapers, so there's always that option. but i think you will be less burnt out and more ready for it

havent you seen the t-shirts that say "if i'd known grandkids would be this much fun, i would have had them first!"?

Yes, this is what I'm hoping for! A break in between would also be nice! ;)

I am not a kid person. There is not enough incentive in the world for me to work in daycare or any such thing. I didn't particularly like children when I was one.

It has honestly never occurred to me to worry about what will happen when my kids start having their own. I spend pretty much 24 hrs a day with mine. I'm sure I would be just fine to have a grandchild around. Wouldn't I just care for them the same way I've cared for my children at various stages? It's not like I eat or kick other people's children or anything...

Come to think of it, my dad is not a kid person, either. I cannot remember ever being related to as a child by him. He has a great time with my kids.

I guess I'll find out fairly soon, since our first dgc is due to appear in about 8 months. I'm not worried about it as my youngest is only 6 so i'm not too far out from little ones myself, plus this will be family. Oh and there's that whole babies smell delicious and are so adorable thing too. ;)

I take after my Mom, who is also not a "kid" person. She is very upfront and open about the fact that she loves and adores her grandkids... in small(ish) doses.

She will babysit.

She'll keep them overnight.

Heck, she'll even keep them for a week.

However, once her time is up, it's up. She'll keep them for a week, then doesn't want to see them for at least a week. :D She hasn't seen my kids since January, but will be here in a week to visit. She's super excited to see them again because she got a nice long break.

I will most likely be the same way. I don't *dislike* kids, but I don't *like* them, either. I guess I'm neutral. I'd never strive for a job as a teacher, daycare worker, or working at a place that primarily caters to children and their demands, that's all I know!

I'm a not a kid person, but I do look forward to grandchildren. I think it's that I plan to have more influence (maybe not the right word), sowing into their life/lives (maybe better wording) than I do with children that are not related to me.

Of course, my ds wants to live half way across the world, so I may be wracking up some frequent flier miles.