Menu

Common Core Standards

In layman's terms, can someone please describe what this is? My son attends private Christian school but we plan on homeschooling next year along with our next child who will be in K next year. The school where my son attends talked about Common Core Standards and I glazed over because it was a lot of lingo and jargon that made my head spin. Anyone understand what it's all about and can explain simply? Thanks! :)

I like them too. Basically, they are supposed to be more rigorous than the previous standards ,much higher expectations with higher order thinking skills and , at least in our state, a math program inspired from Singapore math, it's called Go Math and you can find samples online.

As a homeschooler, you don't have to worry about , except if you are required to take a standardized state test and be aware than the act/sat will be much more challenging than before and also colleges expect more too.

At least that's what I was told and I experimented that myself when my dc took a state test.

Eh. :closedeyes: (See, they made me glaze over too)

I've read through parts of them. They're better than most previous standards and they're certainly more rigorous in certain ways. They're common, so as more states adopt them, it will lead to a more nationalized curriculum and more even standards between schools about expectations for each grade, which is certainly positive in some ways.

On the other hand, the impetus for them, the pedogagical place where they're coming from... it's not where I'm coming from as an educator, so I don't really care that much about them.

If enough states adopt them, then kids who move are less likely o experience large gaps, because the sequences should be roughly the same no matter where you live, though implementation is still eft up to the teacher to decide (or district).

Like prior iterations of school standards, they use a jittery history sequence that jumps about churningly in time and space-- bit of this, little o' that each year. There is a standard getting much press right now encouraging schools to include primary sources across the curriculum, which is being incorrectly spun as replacing literature in English classes with tech manuals, though this is not what the standard remotely says. Literature courses are still supposed to teach the full body of classics and poetry under the common core.

I'm not a fan-- I think it has good theory but poor implementation in most respects (the non-fiction reading requirement a happy exception). As homeschoolers, we will make zero changes to our current plans. Our current plans are solid enough to take on any test without worrying about it or prepping particularly, other than maybe making sure when the time comes that the kids knw the Basic format of the SAT questions. Changing what we do to react to someone else's standards would not improve education, so we will ignore.

please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure I'm right- ..but the book series "What your _______ grader needs to know" follows the Common Core standards. There is a thread around here by moms who are using this series as a guide for their homeschooling. I just started looking at it, and it's a bit late for me, my two youngest are 7th and 5th grade, but I did like the literature, Science and Geography, art readings. I thought the History too fragmented, and the LA & Math not helpful except as a guide of what should be covered. I much prefer History chronologically per Story of the World. The literature seem to be excerpts, but would be a great sampling and then a jumping off point to read the entire book.

so, if you are looking for an approachable way to look through the Common Core standards, check out one of these books at your library. I've heard from one or two moms who cover these during the Summer and do other work during the year.

Eh. :closedeyes: (See, they made me glaze over too)

On the other hand, the impetus for them, the pedogagical place where they're coming from... it's not where I'm coming from as an educator, so I don't really care that much about them.

I quite agree, not at all where I am coming from either as an educator,and while I think information I sometimes can garner from state mandated testing can be helpful to guide me a little and measure how we are doing overall, but I certainly don't live or die by it. We tend to have a hint of anti-establishment around our house :-)

Cindy

please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure I'm right- ..but the book series "What your _______ grader needs to know" follows the Common Core standards.

No, that's called the "Core Knowledge Sequence", which is what the author of the book came up with and some schools have followed (though I doubt very many).

Common Core is completely different and is a set of standards that many states are adopting so there will be one set of national standards instead of each state having completely different standards.

I see it as being possibly helpful for schools in some ways and a pain for schools in other ways, but as a homeschooler... meh... doesn't really affect me. I educate my children, and the scope and sequence will be different between my homeschool and the Common Core, but by time they get to high school, they'll be well prepared for the SAT and ACT, and when they graduate high school, they'll be well prepared for college, even though I didn't take the same path as the public schools.

I don't have to test in my state, but I have no doubt my son could do well on a standardized test without having followed the Common Core and other such standards.

please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure I'm right- ..but the book series "What your _______ grader needs to know" follows the Common Core standards. There is a thread around here by moms who are using this series as a guide for their homeschooling. I just started looking at it, and it's a bit late for me, my two youngest are 7th and 5th grade, but I did like the literature, Science and Geography, art readings. I thought the History too fragmented, and the LA & Math not helpful except as a guide of what should be covered. I much prefer History chronologically per Story of the World. The literature seem to be excerpts, but would be a great sampling and then a jumping off point to read the entire book.

so, if you are looking for an approachable way to look through the Common Core standards, check out one of these books at your library. I've heard from one or two moms who cover these during the Summer and do other work during the year.

If you like the literature readings in that series you may want to check out The Elson Readers, you can peek inside them at http://www.lostclassicsbooks.com/catalog/6 but they are cheaper to purchase individually at www.rainbowresource.com

The series is leveled all the way to 8, but a few levels above and below grade levels would seem appropriate because classic literature isn't really a grade or reading level.

I see it as being possibly helpful for schools in some ways and a pain for schools in other ways, but as a homeschooler... meh... doesn't really affect me. I educate my children, and the scope and sequence will be different between my homeschool and the Common Core, but by time they get to high school, they'll be well prepared for the SAT and ACT, and when they graduate high school, they'll be well prepared for college, even though I didn't take the same path as the public schools.

This exactly.

I see them as useful for schools, to maintain a minimum standard nationally. They have no real impact on me as a homeschooler. I glance at them now and then and see if I'm missing anything. In general though, I know that my kids will be well educated by my standards when they graduate from our homeschool. They will be prepared to do well on college entrance exams and to succeed in college. The exact route they go does not need to match the public schools in order to attain that end though.

I really, really don't want to get too political here, because I know that only ends badly.

My concern with the Common Core Standards is that it is decided on a national level. And states are induced to participate with federal funding.

Right now, I'm fortunate to live in a state that has virtually no requirements for me as a homeschooler. I like that each state decides its own homeschooling regulations. I can choose to be in state with minimal regulations. But as the federal government starts dictating national standards through funding, there's nothing to stop it from expanding its control into private schools, and then to homeschoolers.

I've been following a number of sites concerning the Common Core Standards. There are other "issues" raising red flags with the Common Core, but again, I don't want to get too political, so I won't go there. However, I think it's something homeschoolers should just keep their eyes on in the event that the federal government starts to consider dictating rules for homeschooling (although at that point, I'm not sure there's much we can do).

I am a big believer in using a standard scope and sequence to help me plan my curriculum. The reason is not because I am trying to replicate what the public schools are doing or teach with the same methods they are using, but I want to make sure my kids don't have gaping holes in their education. At some point my kids will reenter the system (maybe high school) and will take the SAT/ACT tests. I don't want them to be considered as "behind" compared to their peers. If my kids are thought to be behind or lacking in standard knowledge or skills, this may limit their education oppotunities and career choices.

That said, if one has a solid curriculum in his homeschool, it is not difficult to cover all or most of the standards. Periodically, I read through the standards for the grade levels of my children and make sure we are on track to cover them. Usually there are a few small things with which my kids need extra practice or review, so I prepare extra assignments to cover these.

I currently use the Core Knowledge K-8 Sequence (from which the What Your _-Grader Needs to Know books are written), but I will also likely look at the Common Core in the future.

I have used Core Knowledge for the past 6-7 years and currently try to keep in mind the Common Core Standards. They are different, but have a similar appeal perhaps -- one pp mentioned that she didn’t want any gaping holes in her teaching....

Core Knowledge Foundation was begun in the 1980’s, I think, and was the vision of one man, E.D. Hirsch. CK is now in school all across the U.S. and also some abroad. It is not a standards program, but a cultural literacy program designed to be incorporated into other teaching. CK does not directly teach reading or math or hands-on science. CK offers an outline of topics for literature, history/geography, science, art, music and (and some math). One aim is acquaint students with big topics, so they will not reach adulthood knowing about Homer Simpson, but not about Homer the poet!

CK publishes a Sequence that describes what year various subject are taught. For example, Egypt/Mesopotamia in first grade, Greece in second, Rome in third. BTW, these are not the only history topics in each grade -- you might spend a month or two on each topic, so as to get the big ideas. There is less detail in CK history that in SOTW (although SOTW is listed as a resource in CK bibliographies). To a certain extent (not as much as SWB), CK correlates across subject lines -- for example, students read King Arthur in the same year that they study medieval history.

CK does not tell you how to teach any of the subjects -- teachers have posted a wealth of lesson plans online. CK publishes Teacher Handbooks (I use these) that help focus on the big ideas, identify key vocabulary, provide assessments, etc. The Need to Know books are compilations of source material (stories, poems, history) that are helpful in teaching, but there is very little overlap between the NTK book and the Teacher Handbooks.

The Common Core Standards were developed by a committee (many committees) and are more recent than CK (2008, 2009??). I think the Standards were released about 2010 -- correct me if I am wrong. The Standards do not deal with literature, history, science, etc. The Standards are about competency, levels of achievement in LA and math, but they don’t say how to teach either subject. I like that the LA has specific grammar/usage standards and that it asks for more non-fiction to be read and written. Personally, since my local schools were big on fiction reading and on writing about ‘special moments’ (agh!!!), with very little non-fiction and no discernible grammar, I applaud the Standards.