Menu

Vyvance for ADHD or ADA?? (not sure which)

Remudamom

My niece is on this and is losing weight fast. Sis says she looks bad and won't eat much because this drug affects the way the food tastes. Sis is pretty sure it isn't deliberate on her dd's part.

Anyway, does anyone here have a child on this and is it affecting their weight? Any tips on getting some fat back on this child? Sis had tried everything she can think of like milkshakes, ice cream, anything to help her weight.

Her @$$ ex is complaining to the doctor that sis is neglecting the child. (This from the original deadbeat never sees his children I just live to make my ex miserable jerk).

Did she try Concerta first? Our ped said Vyvanse is his last resort because he doesn't like how adderol metabolizes in kids.

I would be trying high protein breakfasts- not sugary things, especially for a child with ADHD. Get her to drink milk at meals and get exercising a lot. Watch out for snacking- make sure anything she puts in her mouth is loaded with nutrition. Take the child shopping and let her pick out what she wants to eat (from a mom selected list).

That's all I can think of other than switching meds.

I would ask to try a different medication. There are many different ones out there and even between the various stimulants there can be a lot of difference in side effects from person to person.

I would also see if she would eat a big healthy breakfast just before taking the meds and see if that helps. Maybe something a bit shorter acting or one with a bigger morning dose and smaller noon/afternoon dose would help her with eating a healthy supper/later snack.

First, tell your sister not to worry too much about her ex and his allegations - it is well known that Vyvannse can cause weight loss and all peds take this into account.

My 11 year old daughter (ADD, not ADHD) is on Vyvannse, 40 mg per day.

For the weight. Our ped recommended we give the pill WITH breakfast, so that breakfast is consumed BEFORE the medication kicks in. High protein, high in good fats - eggs, bacon, chicken... he said not to push "breakfast only" foods - leftovers or a peanut butter jelly sandwich is perfect and fine. Also, the Carnation breakfast shakes are a great source of protein and other nutrients. My dd generally skips lunch. We encourage grazing and have an open kitchen policy - she can eat when she's hungry, no strict routine to it. We leave fresh fruits and veggies within an easy reach for her, crackers, nutella, peanut butter, breads, leftovers, etc. For dinner, she is required to sit at the table with us, but if she isn't hungry, she can eat later. Again, open kitchen policy - if that means she eats at 10 pm, so be it (and she often does eat the most after 9 or so at night, when her pill has worn off).

High protein, high fat, encourage her (not force, encourage) to take a few bites at meal times even if she doesn't feel hungry... oft times this will lead to the child eating just because it's a regular meal time and everyone else is eating at the table.

Lastly, she may be on too high a dosage. Our ped told us that if dd's weight didn't eventually "even out" (not to make her gain, but that she needed to "stop losing" after being on the medication so long) that he would drop her dosage. Eventually, after about a year, she stopped losing and maintained (albeit a low weight - but she's healthy, active, and happens to be small statured anyway, so it's not a big deal).

My just turned 11yo son has been on vyvanse since he was 8yo. He was not losing weight, simply not gaining. We added 2mg intuniv at night and have lowered his vyvanse dosage from 40 to 20 mg. It's actually working better than vyvanse alone. AND he's gained weight (6 lbs in one month), filled out (can't see his ribs anymore) and is growing!

I have 2 on vyvanse, and it doesn't affect their appetite, They are both on very low doses though. I agree w/ a pp, to feed her a large protein packed breakfast before she takes the med, and go for ice cream smoothies for snacks and try and get a big meal in at night. AD/HD meds are known for creating a loos of appetite. That's why docs keep a close eye on weight.