Menu

Stuck on what to get ds for Christmas....need ideas!

SewLittleTime

Ds hasn't really asked for anything. I need some ideas. He has a bizillion Legos and would always welcome another set, but isn't asking specifically for any. I am just at a loss.

So far, I have a family game that he is included on and a few stocking stuffers. Help me out! He's 10 almost 11.

Toys or game ideas for winter days are especially welcome.

Parts to make a marshmallow shooter or a potato gun, plus bags of the appropriate ammo

Duct tape and either a book to make items, or a link to the youtube channel on how to make stuff

Someone on here recommended this helicopter http://www.amazon.co...trol helicopter

We saw it demo'd at a craft fair, and it was awesome. Younger ds (11) was amazed. My dd had already got it for him and was thrilled that he was so excited about it.

Some things my boys have enjoyed:

Think Fun logic type games.

Lava lamp

Plasma ball

This book along with assorted supplies: http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/1556529538

Magic set/card decks

Big bottles of glue, packages of tape, mechanical pencils

Geomags (magnet sets--I think geomag is the best brand)

Special audio books on CD: Eragon set and when they were older, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy were among their favorites.

Cat training kit (this was fun, definitely overpriced for what you get, but they had so much fun training our cats to jump through hoops).

Science kits, puzzle books, optical illusion books

Giant bubble Klutz book.

The helicopter piece to the snap circuit set is the best piece!

ETA: the backyard ballistic book, as I recall, has mostly outside projects. The mini weapons of mass destruction book has small scale projects easily completed inside.

With the Backyard Ballistics book, make it a present for your hubby, too, if he's the type that will help build stuff. You could make it a kit by choosing a couple of projects and getting everything needed to make them. Have dh open the book the same time as ds opens the box!

How about some videos? Hugo is a favorite here, and you can put it with the book if he doesn't have it. We also enjoyed Wonderstruck, by the same author.

Last year, I gave dd the Harris Burdick book by Chris Van Allsburg, and a second book of short stories by multiple authors (children's and adult's authors) who wrote their stories based on the illustrations. It was very fun to read--lots of slightly creepy stories! Good read aloud.

Another vote for Back Yard Ballistics, but add a gift card to Lowes or a store like that so he can go shopping for some supplies needed to make the cool things. The book Mini Weapons of Mass Destruction another cool one.

Does he have his own tool set?

A while ago Someone here mentioned buying a shop vac for their ds and my ds thought that would be a super cool gift to have.

My ds liked weapons so he got a sling shot, blow dart gun (suction darts) and a bow and arrow set one year.

Whittling kit

RC helicopter

multi tool gadget

Target has lighted lego type sets that are cool

Remote-controlled helicopter

We got ds9 this remote controlled helicopter. Dh says Air Hogs are the best brand to get. I think he'll really like it.

We also got Ds7 and ds9 a lego set to share. They too have a TON of Legos, but they do always like getting a new set. We got them the Lego Creator Seaside House. We really like sets from both the Creator and City lines.

(Just feel the need to add here that we did not pay these prices. We did a lot of searching and found great deals.)

We are also getting ds9 Minecraft for his computer.

In reality, my kids have too much. Sigh.

I think many of us could say the same thing. I know we sure are in the same boat.

We got each of the little boys two gifts, plus one to share. And we really had to research and dig to come up with THAT much.

Zee refused to give me even ONE idea of what he wanted. He insists that he neither needs nor wants *anything*. I told him 'well, then daddy and I will just pick you out a few surprises'. He liked that idea. :)

DS(almost 10) is getting...

From DH and me: a big chemistry set and a labware set from Home Science Tools, The Mad Scientists Club complete collection

From my parents: Snap Circuits Light & Green sets, solar car that works with Snap Circuits

From DH's mom: huge set of play figures from Greek mythology & book

From Santa: Kane Chronicles box set, Lego Marvel sets

Stocking: xBox Harry Potter 5-7, hacky sack, MindBenders page-a-day calendar, Doodle Diary, stuffed parrots, stopwatch for timing laps

His birthday is shortly after Christmas. Some of the things on his wish list...

Dremel 3 Tool Combo Kit with some wood and accessories, Nerf N-Strike Elite Hail-Fire Blaster, a big trunk from Hobby Lobby, lots of books and science sets, and Legos (of course). I will probably get him some great signs/posters for the science/tinkering lab and make it look real. That and more supplies.

My third son is 12 and also loves legos. I just ordered him The Lego Ideas Book and The Lego Book from Amazon. This way he can make some some new things with the million+ legos he has. I also got him some of the minifigure packs.

Last year we cut found instructions online to make marshmallow guns. We cut the pieces and fitted them together and gave the kids some sheets of duct tape to decorate them. They also got a bag of cheap marshmallows for shooting.

There are some great books and tutorials out there for creating things with duct tape. You could get him some sheets and rolls and let him be creative with it. My 16 year old loves getting fun rolls every year in his Easter Basket and Christmas Stocking.

My son has loved the Mini Weapons of Mass Destruction books and a bin of all the necessary supplies that were given to him for his birthday. He will spend hours building in his room using these books. I highly recommend them. Here's a link to the first one: http://www.amazon.com/Mini-Weapons-Mass-Destruction-Implements/dp/1556529538/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355419527&sr=8-1&keywords=mini+weapons+of+mass+destruction