Menu

What are some good piano lesson books for younger kids?

bttrflyvld

It's best if you start learning to read music yourself, get some theory books and practice sight reading before you start trying to teach your child. The more comfortable you are reading it, the easier it will be to teach it.

Maybe John Thompson's Piano for Older Beginners? I'm not sure what to recommend, since I learned to read music in middle school. Maybe something like this.

DS9 and DD started piano with the Primer level of Piano Adventures and have had great success. DS6 was a young 5 when he began lessons and wasn't ready to sit still for someone else but still wanted to learn, so I started him on My First Piano Adventure and he has just loved it. I would say if your DD is a good reader with a serious attention span, you can start with Primer. If you have a non-reader and/or a wiggleworm, I would recommend the first level. The publisher's site has more details and samples.

We have been using "My First Piano Adventures" for a couple of years. (These were mentioned above by Alte Veste Academy.)

Dd will turn 6yo in two days, and she has completed the Book A. We are half way through Book B.

***I highly recommend that you get both the Lesson Book and the Writing Book for each level your daughter plays.*** The two books dovetail nicely at coordinating theory in the Writing Book that supports songs in the Lesson Book.

There is also a Christmas Book for each level (A, B, C). Be sure to photocopy the advent calendar at the back of the book for your daughter.

------------------------------------------

If you need help with theory, Usborne has a couple of old versions of music theory books.

Music Theory for Beginners

There is also an Internet Linked one. It's not well rated on Amazon, but don't you believe it. It is very similar to the one listed above. (I have checked out both from the Homeschool Library).

---------------------------------------------

I also have a list of homemade piano games that I play with my daughter to reinforce practice and to teach theory. Anyone who is interested, may PM me with a private email address, and I will try to send it to them. (The file is 11 pages, and is too long for PM within the Well-Trained Mind mail system.)

When I taught piano at a private school, most of students started with either Faber's Piano Adventures or Alfred Basics; we liked those a little better then Bastien's, which was our third choice. I haven't heard of some of these other choices, though.

We kicked it off with Pianimals for the first few months - super easy. We only started this year, I wish I had started a year or two ago.

Now we're using Piano Adventures, slowing down a bit, as there's so many books to juggle for me. But I like the series, so that's what we're sticking with.

My beginner piano students had the most success with Hal Leonard. The approach was recommended to my by my teacher who is in the Who's Who Teacher book and an international pianist. I tried Faber and Faber at once and there was a noticeable difference in progress. The best part about Hal Leonard, for me teaching classical, was that fact it prepared them to move into early classical piano books after book 2 or 3. The theory is worth doing too, and would help you to learn to read music.

I hope it goes well for you!

I like the Bastien's Primer for younger beginners--it is the regular primer in 2 books. It teaches both middle-c and c-major positions, unlike the regular primer which teacher only c major. I like the theory book that goes along with it, along with the balance of note and rhythm reading.

http://www.amazon.com/Piano-Young-Beginner-Primer-Bastien/dp/0849793173/ref=pd_sim_b_4

You've got lots of great suggestions here. I like the Faber & Faber and Alfred and second the recommendation of getting the multiple versions (theory, practice book, performance book, whatever they've got if you can swing it).

Don't forget to have lots of good listening be a part of it. If the books come with cds, get them. Supplement with lots of great piano music recordings. Take them to concerts, point out when you hear a piano on the radio. At the ages in your signature, they will benefit a TON just from getting the sounds in their ears.