Menu

London on Christmas Day

moonlight

We get to London on Christmas morning. I keep reading that public transportation is closed for the day!! I don't know how we are going to get to our hotel. Anyone in London know who we can contact? Or better yet just pick us up!! J/k. I am just imaging that It is going to cost us an arm and a leg..

And I don't know what we are going to do that day. Any ideas?

Thanks!!

I agree with the others - I think a cab is probably your only option. I'm too far away to give you a lift, I'm afraid.

As to what to do: I would spend the daylight hours in one of the parks, if the weather is decent. It will help with the jet-lag to be outside, and there will be other families strolling before/after meals. Hyde Park, Green Park, Regents Park.... You should probably check if any of those close their gates at particular times....

Laura

I agree with the others - I think a cab is probably your only option. I'm too far away to give you a lift, I'm afraid.

As to what to do: I would spend the daylight hours in one of the parks, if the weather is decent. It will help with the jet-lag to be outside, and there will be other families strolling before/after meals. Hyde Park, Green Park, Regents Park.... You should probably check if any of those close their gates at particular times....

Laura

I am not really looking for a ride, but thanks for even thinking it!!

I am just assuming it will be expensive being Christmas day and all. Hyde park is what we had in mind...I wonder if we could go to Trafalgar square and see the tree...are the pigeons there this time of year??

I am not really looking for a ride, but thanks for even thinking it!!

I am just assuming it will be expensive being Christmas day and all. Hyde park is what we had in mind...I wonder if we could go to Trafalgar square and see the tree...are the pigeons there this time of year??

There should be pigeons.

I think that cabs have special rates for holidays - might be pricy. The cabs are big and capacious though, so you can fit a lot of people/luggage.

Laura

I just mentioned to Dh that the underground doesn't operate on xmas day. We started talking about your situation. One more idea would be a hotel near the airport with a shuttle service. Then move in to central london the next day. Obviously this depends on your flexibility reservation wise and how long you are here for.

BBC is going to be good that day and you will be tired.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am just seeing this. We ended up taking a cab which did cost an arm and leg, but we booked in advance so it was a set rate to where we were staying. He was really nice and actually had nowhere to be so he gave us a taxi tour of all the sights he could!

We then went to the apt we rented, took a 3 hour nap. Woke up and we were staying next to the ecological park so we walked around that and then walked along the river...we also found a grocery open and got fixings for a meal. The funny thing is that we have live in help here in Abu Dhabi so my kids were excited to have me cook dinner for them..lol!

It was a great vacation!

Just saw this - sounds like it worked out well! When we lived in the suburbs of London, we had friends visit on Christmas Day and then drove them back to their hotel that evening. It was SO eerie to see central London deserted - that's about the only time I felt comfortable driving there LOL.

Glad you got a tour and I'm really amazed you found a grocery store open - we always planned to be without a grocery store both Christmas and Boxing Days ;)