Menu

Are Magnatiles really worth the money?

Nart

I am thinking of buying 100 Magnatiles for my 6 and soon to be 4 year old for Christmas. Are they really worth more than a dollar a tile? I found them at Lakeshore for 129.00 and I have a 15% off coupon. Anyone buy them and your kids didn't like them?

IMO, yes. I held off for a long time and then caved when my 2nd child was around 2yo and my eldest was 5. Now all 3 kids (almost 9, almost 6, and almost 3yo) play with our 2 sets of 100 together. They are one of the few toys that live in our main floor living space vs. the playroom because all 3 kids enjoy playing with them. It is a kid toy I enjoy playing with too :)

It depends on the child. My middle ds loved them so much, he played with them daily for many years. We only had a small set and it has held up to years of daily play. If you have a child who really loves them and will spend a lot of time with them, then I'd go for it.

We have several different kinds of magnet toys and my kids spend hours creating things with them.

If it helps, the best deal I've seen lately is here:

http://store.metmuseum.org/

You can get the 100 piece set of Magnatiles for $87.91 shipped, which is really a good price for them. Plus, you can get a free tote and free crayons.

Add the Magnatiles, the Christopher Dresser ornamental tote, and MetKids 24 crayon brights to your cart, then add these codes:

S031 (25% off entire purchase)

L163 ($10 off $50) there are lots of these codes on retailmenot.com if this one doesn't work

R312 Free Crayons

R289 Free Tote

YMMV, I haven't tried it myself. It was posted on a deals forum I read.

They have been worth it here. I think we bought a set for Christmas when my boys were 5 years old and then two months later bought more for their birthday. I've since bought two more sets and they requested yet another for Christmas this year--they are 8 years old now. Magnatiles have been one of, if not the, most played with toy we've got.

They have been worth it here. I think we bought a set for Christmas when my boys were 5 years old and then two months later bought more for their birthday. I've since bought two more sets and they requested yet another for Christmas this year--they are 8 years old now. Magnatiles have been one of, if not the, most played with toy we've got.

That deal at the Met is with *solid* magna-tiles. Does it matter on clear vs. solid?

Definitely worth the money and then some. My three are playing with Magnatiles as we speak. We have two sets of 100, a set of 32, and a "deluxe" set with doors, windows, and a set of wheels. It still isn't always enough to go around when each of them has a "building" in mind. We have both the jewel colors and the solids. The kids don't seem to have any preference.

If you ask my four year old his name, he'll tell you he's, "Xxxxx Xxxx Xxxxx, King of the Magnatiles." :laugh:

We have several different kinds of magnet toys and my kids spend hours creating things with them.

If it helps, the best deal I've seen lately is here:

http://store.metmuseum.org/

You can get the 100 piece set of Magnatiles for $87.91 shipped, which is really a good price for them. Plus, you can get a free tote and free crayons.

Add the Magnatiles, the Christopher Dresser ornamental tote, and MetKids 24 crayon brights to

your cart, then add these codes:

S031 (25% off entire purchase)

L163 ($10 off $50) there are lots of these codes on retailmenot.com if this one doesn't work

R312 Free Crayons

R289 Free Tote

YMMV, I haven't tried it myself. It was posted on a deals forum I read.

Thanks! This is the best price I have seen. Is there a difference between the solid or clear? The MET deal with solid Magnatiles is 33 dollars cheaper than the clear ones at a store near me.

When I tried it last night, the L163 code didn't work. That made it come out to $97 for the solids. Most places seem to be out of stock now, but I found prices ranging from $120-130. So $130 later with a coupon, say at LakeshoreLearning or FatBrain, bringing it down to around $100-110, would pan out about the same. Then it would the clear. I would *think* the clear are more fun than the solid.

I'll talk with my resident toy expert (dd13, all teens are opinionated, lol), but that's what I concluded. If that $10 coupon had worked, that would have been persuasive. But if the price is almost the same as clear, might as well have the cuter ones.