Menu

I Pod?

Alison in KY

Can you tell me what you do with an IPod? Can you text back and forth with regular cell phones on it? Can you block internet, or have some kind of child protection on it? Does it do videos or pictures. Yes, I am clueless and one of my kids would like one...I don't even know what it's used for :)

Alison

Only the ipod TOUCH model allows for apps, internet, and texting. My son uses his as a mini-iphone. He downloaded an app that allows him to make phone calls on it.

There are parent controls you can download as well.

Just be sure to get a very protective case!

My 10yo uses her iPod Touch for texting friends (only those with iPod Touches, though), taking pictures, making videos, listening to music, playing games, alarm clock, and stopwatch. I am sure she could do more with it, but that's as far as she's gotten. She's receiving a karaoke stand thing for Christmas, so she'll be using her Touch with that too.

My dd and her friends like to take pictures and make videos and text them to each other. Their videos and text conversations thus far are less than interesting. Her best friend struggles in school, and most of her texts are difficult to decipher. Even if you are texting, spelling counts.

My dd's Touch only works with wi-fi, so she can't text, call, or use the internet outside our home.

My 10yo loves her iPod Touch. She takes it everywhere I allow.

My 10 and 8 year olds got iPod Touches for Christmas last year. I have disabled internet, Facetime, installing new apps, etc, and have not given them access to texting. They use them to listen to music, listen to audiobooks, take pictures, take videos, and play a few games. They also love to look things up with the maps app, dictionary.com app, and Bible app. They actually use the Bible app for doing their Bible lessons for school, since their Bible curriculum uses the KJV version and they don't have that version in a printed Bible. The timer gets used pretty often during school, too.

So even with it heavily protected, their iPods get used almost every day here - mostly for school. We've gotten more school use than I expected.

I forgot to mention that I use my dd's Touch to play audiobooks in the van. I bought a cord that allows me to connect her Touch to our van sound system, so we all listen to audiobooks from her Touch. We can also listen to all the music on her Touch in the van. I love this feature.

We have an iPad as well, and all my dd's texts come through the iPad so it's easy to check on what's they are chatting about.

I forgot to mention that I use my dd's Touch to play audiobooks in the van. I bought a cord that allows me to connect her Touch to our van sound system, so we all listen to audiobooks from her Touch. We can also listen to all the music on her Touch in the van. I love this feature.

We have an iPad as well, and all my dd's texts come through the iPad so it's easy to check on what's they are chatting about.

How do the texts come thru the iPad...I'm so not good with tech stuff

can those who have them tell me what size you have - would an 8 gb be sufficient?

Dd (who's 15) regrets buying an 8 gb. Some of the games can take up quite a bit of space. She has to delete things quite a bit to keep her memory free for new things.

You can only text with wi-fi, but it will work on any unsecured wi-fi when you are out or at a friend's house if they will give you their code. Dd volunteers at our library, which has unsecured wi-fi, so she can text us while she's there is she needs to be picked up early or later.

She does facetime with just a couple of friends, uses the email app, watches stuff on our netflix account, uses the bible app for school and in church (needs wi-fi), uses the internet, etc. She loves the Temple Run game.

can those who have them tell me what size you have - would an 8 gb be sufficient?

8gb seems to be sufficient for us. I actually like that she can't clutter her device and she has to keep things current. To give you an idea of where her memory is going, she has: tons of songs (1.5gb), 3 audiobooks (0.02gb), 128 pictures (1.86gb), apps including 20 games (1.35gb), and other misc (1.07gb) and she still has room to add more things.

Well, my 8 year old has taken it over. I got an iphone about 8 months after the ipod touch, so I had no need for it anymore. He LOVES it.

It was the 8gb and we have just sold that one and are getting a 64gb from Apple.com's refurbished site for just a bit more than I was able to sell the old one for.

He filled up that 8 many times over but had to keep deleting things. Honestly, the 32gb would have been sufficient, but it wasn't that much more so I got the biggest memory they had.

He uses it ALL DAY LONG! He listens to books, reads books with the Kindle app, listens to music while he does his chores, texts his one hs friend who is allowed to text, uses it to call me or his dad, plays apps, and sometimes even watches movies on it!

He loves it!

thanks Dawn, so do you like it?

The irritating thing is that ipod touches don't come in 16gb! You can get 8 or the next size up is 32gb!

My ds had an 8gb iPod Touch and, as he loves audio books, his iPod was filled up in no time. I would recommend at least 16 gb.

(I have a 16 gb iPhone and I really wish I had more memory!)

I wonder if this is a girl vs. boy thing???? My friend's daughter has an 8gb and has never had an issue. But she doesn't play some of the more intricate games that require far more memory that my boys play. My boys download those Star Wars looking games that have huge graphics and lots of levels.

Dawn

8gb seems to be sufficient for us. I actually like that she can't clutter her device and she has to keep things current. To give you an idea of where her memory is going, she has: tons of songs (1.5gb), 3 audiobooks (0.02gb), 128 pictures (1.86gb), apps including 20 games (1.35gb), and other misc (1.07gb) and she still has room to add more things.

Well, my new policy on Apple is that if I can't afford the highest memory that there is, I will wait until I have the $$. There is nothing worse than having to buy a whole new one.

That is one thing about Apple that I do wish they allowed......memory cards!

Oh that's a bummer! The iPods were given to us so I had no idea.