Menu

Sonlight Question

NatashainDFW

Sonlight is designed to be used for more than one grade. At one point I was using a core with an 11th grader, 8th grader and 6th grader. You do need to pick one that won't be too hard for the Kindergartner ... Sonlight has all kinds of options though to make that scenario work. Do you have a catalog? If not order one. You can also talk to their 'online' assistant (I haven't tried that so don't know how it will be)

I think it would have been very difficult to share one Core with a 3rd grader and a K'er, based on what my children were like at those ages.

The good part about Sonlight is that almost everything is re-usable for multiple children, and the books have good resale value. So you can anticipate purchasing a Core for your 3rd grader, using it again for your younger child when that child is the same age, then selling for 50% (or higher) of the original purchase price, if the books are still in good condition.

If cost is an issue up front, you could also purchase used books (either with a used IG or a new IG). It takes longer to piece together, and takes more effort, but it can be done for a significant savings.

That age spread may be a bit difficult to do.

I agree. Sadly, original poster, I think the 3-year age spread of your 2 children is always going to be a problem in trying to combine children into a single-level program. Next year, when the Kinder is in grade 1, that's a young elementary age, while the 3rd grader will have moved into the upper elementary age in mental maturity and abilities -- a big jump between them. And 4 years down the road, when the Kinder is in 4th grade, and is entering the upper elementary stage -- the older student will now be solidly in the middle school/logic stage. Again, a big jump between them.

Specifically regarding stretching SL:

Yes, SL is designed to "stretch" a bit on either side; but realistically, not more than a grade level on either side of the target age. So, for example, if you were to do core D, it is ideal for grade 3, in reader level, read-aloud level, language arts-wise, and in ability to grasp concepts. But it can also fit a 2nd grader (if a strong reader), or a 4th grader as well. While Kinder and 1st graders would certainly enjoy hearing some of the books, especially the readers, core D really isn't for that age.

That age spread may be a bit difficult to do. I have 3rd grader and K, and I'm doing two cores (D and P4/5). It's been easy to do. My third grader would be bored to tears with anything that my K'er would understand.

I agree that the age spread you have isn't great for doing one SL core. The good news is that something like Core K would probably only take you 30 minutes a day to read.

If 2 cores will break your budget, buy a used IG and start out by seeing what books your library has before you buy the rest. You may be able to find a great deal on a used core. That's what I've done almost every year and it's worked out really well. You can get especially good deals on older IGs and I've found it isn't necessary to always have the latest and greatest version of their guides.

Lisa

Honestly, I think the way it's set up now, no, you can't combine as well. They put the LA back into the program so it's very grade specific with a little wiggle room up or down a grade but for teaching a kid to read and a reader? Nope, too far apart in skills.

The history and science are easily used over multiple grades and if you searched out older IG's it could work for you. But the LA stuff won't work for both kids. Ever.

So depending on what you want from SL it may or may not work for you.

Like anything, it depends on you and the children involved. Years ago I did what was then Core 1 with a 1st grader and 4th grader. The 1st grader was an advanced reader, and did fine. The 4th grader read everything the 1st grader did plus the equivalent volume of SOTW and a few other books. Prior to deciding this, I borrowed the books from the library and friends, and they seemed like a good fit for us, so we went with it. I had done mom-planned WTM before that, and had to change to something scripted. We just used the literature and history, and did language arts from other sources.

I continued that pattern until the oldest was in 7th grade, and then I split them off into their own studies.

We have very fond memories of those years.

OK, I will say up front that I have not used Sonlight, although I do own the Core D IG, which I hold on to primarily to serve as a periodic reminder of why SL won't work for me. :lol:

That said, I have kids who are grades 4/2/1. Last year they were 3/1/K. I keep them together for all content subjects, easy peasy. I pick read-alouds that are interesting to all, including picture books which everyone enjoys. I select readers for each kid, based as much on their personal taste in books as on their ages. Narrations, timeline entries, answers to comprehension questions, etc. are done at each child's level. Occasionally, DH or I will do a read-aloud for bedtime stories with DS9 if a book is too mature, intense, or just plain boring for DD and/or DS6. I also keep the kids in age-appropriate history audio books to listen to when they play. The key is to be flexible. Also, for me at least, it helped to finally figure out that these are not actually life and death decisions, even if they sometimes feel that way. :D

I missed what core you are considering, but I don't know why you couldn't pick a core and then select a corresponding group of readers for your K'er. I just glanced at the list of Core D books and saw plenty that would have been of interest to my youngest last year in K (and he is an "all-boy" tornado). Some we actually did read when he was younger, as we did two years of American history when he was 3-4. They absorb a remarkable amount of knowledge playing blocks in the vicinity of the read-aloud zone. ;) Anyway, I would not put my kids in separate programs or eras. Too much work, you lose common concurrent interests and the wonderful play and conversations that emanate from that, lose the element of siblings acting as classmates...

I don't know how useful this is but really, it can be easy.

My K student is listening in on some of her brother's Core B stuff and I don't consider her "doing the core", but she sure has picked up a lot anyway. You could always do B+C and just focus on reading/writing with your K student.

That was very helpful. I am considering B+C for next year and I was looking at the read-alouds and I am thinking my dd will really enjoy them even if some are over her head

It seems like B + C would probably bridge the gap nicely. Lots there for your K'er. It is puzzling to me that despite being marketed for grades 2-4, the readers are much simpler than that. I don't know many 4th graders who would still be into Frog & Toad. SL has always puzzled me that way, and it is one reason it didn't work for us. Anyway, almost anything can work well if you are flexible. If it is a bit too much for your K'er, relax your requirements. If it is too little for your 3rd grader, augment it some. :)

One of my tricks for keeping my kids together for content is to allow them (especially my wiggly little boy) to play with "narration toys" while I am reading. DS9 and DS6 most often play with wooden blocks & figures, building something related to the reading. Sometimes Legos. DD loves to color while I read, frequently illustrating her history notebook. Sometimes, I allow them to check out altogether if it becomes obvious that one child has stamina for a book that the others do not. That book might then become a bedtime read-aloud. Again, flexibility is key.

I actually don't think it's impossible to combine a 3rd grader and K'er depending on the kids attentions span and ability. You could start with Core B+C this year and then next year move on to Core D and use the Readers as read-alouds for your younger one. I know someone who uses SL and does that.

I am thinking of ordering the core B+C with the 4-5 readers for my older and the 1st grade readers for the younger since Sonlight told me that would probably be the better fit for her. If we focus on reading, math and handwriting with the younger we will be good since she will only be 5 in the fall and she can still listen in on the readings and color and what not while her brother is working.