Menu

Need gift idea for niece and nephew

Unicorn.

I need gift ideas for nephew who just turned 17 and his sister who will be 20 just after Christmas. Sil always tells me gift cards, but I hate buying gift cards, mostly because I need to shop sales. Homemade isn't appreciated on that side of the family. She got my dds Vera Bradley Hipsters. We live in two different worlds. I can't afford stuff like that for her dc, and a $20 or $25 dollar gift card just seems....

We only see them at Christmas, and I don't really know them well at all. I know the only thing he has ever really been in to, is gaming, but I think he's online gaming now, and not using any particular system. He did just get his driver's license, but don't know if they got him a car. She's a sophomore in college, and sil did tell me stud earrings, but nothing specific.

So what do you get for hard to buy for nieces and nephews?

Guest inoubliable

Honestly? I'd get them gift cards. I know you said that gift cards don't seem to be a good idea because you can't afford to give more than $20 or $25 but really, you only see these kids at Christmas. It doesn't sound like they're huge parts of your life during the rest of the year. You don't "owe" them a gift of equal value to what they get your children, KWIM? :grouphug: I'd try not to worry that your gift isn't "measuring up". Teens love gift cards - go with it.

Usually I get nieces and nephews that age gift cards. Sometimes I give a gift card AND something extra. One year target had these great fashion scarves on special for $5 each. All my nieces got one in different colors. So, I might add an inexpensive fun accessory to the gift card. Some of my nieces still wear the scarves.

You might also think about starting tool collections for kids that ge. You could keep track and add to it every holiday/birthday. My ds is known as the go to guy in his dorm when a tool is needed.

Guest inoubliable

You might also think about starting tool collections for kids that ge. You could keep track and add to it every holiday/birthday. My ds is known as the go to guy in his dorm when a tool is needed.

THAT is an awesome idea! A kit for their car might be something to consider, too. Especially for the new driver. You know, one of those kits with flares and flashlight and tow rope? You can put together one for under $30, I'd guess. Check out local dollar stores.

What about 2 movie tickets to one of the bigger chain theaters they have near them? You could wrap the tickets up with a couple boxes of candy. It's not exactly the same as a gift card, and almost everyone likes going to the movies. It's a paid-for date night or evening out with a friend.

For my 20 year old niece, who is a girly girl, I will be getting a glass jar with a lid and filling it with manicure stuff, like cotton balls, nail polish, nail files, pumice stone, polish remover, etc.

For her boyfriend and for our 18 year old nephew, I plan to buy them each 4 of their favorite candy bars, then will wrap them in a $20 bill.