Menu

Gifts for in-laws?

Skadi

Inlaws have more money than us, and if they really want or need anything, they buy it for themselves. However, it is particularly important to my MIL to receive surprise gifts that (while not necessarily expensive) show thought and attention. Surely I'm not the only one with this challenge?

We've done journals, framed pictures, kitchen items, etc. I'm out of ideas. What are you getting your ILs? Any ideas about what to buy the person who already has everything and doesn't have any hobbies you can capitalize on?

Inlaws have more money than us, and if they really want or need anything, they buy it for themselves. However, it is particularly important to my MIL to receive surprise gifts that (while not necessarily expensive) show thought and attention. Surely I'm not the only one with this challenge?

We've done journals, framed pictures, kitchen items, etc. I'm out of ideas. What are you getting your ILs? Any ideas about what to buy the person who already has everything and doesn't have any hobbies you can capitalize on?

I get my MIL the same thing every year - tickets to an event (a show, sometimes the symphony) for her and DH. Usually it's for some time in the spring, and he takes her out, just the two of them, for a nice dinner and the performance.

She does have all the "stuff" she needs, but every woman loves time one on one with her son,

Are they music lovers? If so a framed copy of their favorite album or a favorite artist is a personal, thoughtful idea. The frames for albums are available at Michaels and are not expensive. The album might be though.

(My dad was a collector. This idea is how he was trying to liquidate his huge record collection.)

What about a picture calendar? DH makes one every year for his grandmother. My ILs like wine, so one year we got them a gift certificate to a local vineyard that does wine tastings and wrapped it up with a bottle of their wine. We've also given them a membership to an art museum.

For Mother's Day/Father's Day we started a tradition a couple years ago. We get them and my mom tickets to a show in Boston. We all go together to the show and out to dinner after. It's expensive to do, but they enjoy having that experience with us.

This gift is beautiful! If it didn't involve a plane ticket, I would do this for my DMIL. Maybe I'll do it anyway.

I get my MIL the same thing every year - tickets to an event (a show, sometimes the symphony) for her and DH. Usually it's for some time in the spring, and he takes her out, just the two of them, for a nice dinner and the performance.

She does have all the "stuff" she needs, but every woman loves time one on one with her son,

We do this as well, only the gift is for both MIL and FIL.

Last year we got them some artisan cheese and a few other edibles from Shelburne Farms. It was a little pricey for us, but we've visited and knew we were supporting a good cause and FIL appreciates good cheeses. They enjoyed having something unusual to eat during the holidays. We also bought him some

Jalapeno Spiced Pistachios

from Oh Nuts! which he loves and would not have ordered for himself. For MIL we found a frame that matched her family room decor and had enlargements of Dc's photos made.

Could you find a local pottery store or something unique to your area? Depending on where we have lived, we have given handmade bird feeders, spiced pistachios, handcrafted paintbrushes. I want to make homemade vanilla and put in a pretty little jar, but I haven't done it yet. I have made specialty breads, cookies, fudge and other types of things for a little basket.

Good luck!