Menu

Exercise Thread ~ 11/25-12/1

Negin

I have a question. What is up with all the whey protein push?

In every fitness magazine I read (like Oxygen or Fitness Rx) it seems the the majority of recipes, especially smoothies, contain whey protein powder. Why is whey protein considered to be such an essential ingredient?

I don't see how such a processed food can be good for you.

Aren't other forms of protein better like adding a nut butter or yogurt? How about ground flax seed, chia seed, or hemp seed? Why the emphasis on a dairy product? Does one really need that much more protein that they have to consume a processed powder?

I have a question. What is up with all the whey protein push?

In every fitness magazine I read (like Oxygen or Fitness Rx) it seems the the majority of recipes, especially smoothies, contain whey protein powder. Why is whey protein considered to be such an essential ingredient?

I don't see how such a processed food can be good for you.

Aren't other forms of protein better like adding a nut butter or yogurt? How about ground flax seed, chia seed, or hemp seed? Why the emphasis on a dairy product? Does one really need that much more protein that they have to consume a processed powder?

It's easy to whip up a smoothie. Maybe the emphasis on whey because it is an animal-based protein or because it is well known. Processed foods are easier to keep track of. For most people, it probably isn't necessary.

3 mile run, and the boys have me talked into taking tea down to the power-towers this afternoon, so I guess I'm in for 6 miles on the bike.

I love bike rides.

I did a pyramid on burpees, full push ups, and squats. Total numbers were 25, 25, 44 respectively. I ran 1.5miles with a 10min pace... My first real run since my stress fracture. Went real short and real slow - babying the foot. It's several hours later now though- and feels fine! Woot!

A 10 min mile does not sound slow to me.

It's easy to whip up a smoothie. Maybe the emphasis on whey because it is an animal-based protein or because it is well known. Processed foods are easier to keep track of. For most people, it probably isn't necessary.

That's what I figured. I just don't see why it's added as an ingredient when other ingredients are yogurt, milk (almond/soy/dairy), and peanut butter.

Am I the last person to find out about Livestrong.com?

Anyone use it?

I was browsing around on it and decided to give one of the stair workouts a try. I picked one that seemed simple enough to follow. Simply walk up and down a flight of stairs non-stop for 30 minutes. I listened to my audio book and gave it a go. It got me sweating. :p Harder than it sounds.

4 mile run today. It's cold here in the mornings now, so I garb up warm, only to want to shed my clothes by the end of it. I've got to quit thinking that I'll still be cold after a mile, because I won't be.

10 minute miles sound good to me, too. They are on my "What I want to accomplish" List for the coming year. Yup. Already working on my New Year's Resolutions. A 10 minute pace for a 10K is one thing on there. But that won't even put me mid-pack with the runners in my age group in the state. Sad. How did I get to be so slow? Oh. That ice pack on my hip. That's why. :thumbdown: Got to get that worked on or investigated at the least.

Bike rides are fun for everyone but the one with the twenty-pound backpack on her back, and for everything except my backside. I cannot seem to find a pair of bicycle shorts that help at all. But the trip was fun anyway.

Just finished HIIT 20 from Turbo Fire and Strength 30. Re the whey protein; I am suppposed to get 80-90 grams a day of protein, and I am finding it hard as I don't eat a lot of meat. I make a lot of smoothies, so throwing in a bit of this can help me out. I eat whole foods (oatmeal, veggies, beans, nuts, whole grains) but still find it hard, and when I work out hard, I need protein or I get weak and tired. I think flax seeds are great, and there is something called Raw Power i believe which I haven't tried but is a whole-foods based protein pwowder.

Thursday-four mile run.

Friday-scheduled rest day.

Saturday-My plan is to do 30-40 minutes of running on turf. I've never done that on purpose. But there is a run I want to do in Fayetteville in April that does about half of the distance on the U of A crosscountry course. So I need to get used to it.

it's going to be a spectacle--me in my running stuff galloping around my in-laws pasture and duck pond!

it's going to be a spectacle--me in my running stuff galloping around my in-laws pasture and duck pond!

That's how I run in my yard minus the duck pond. I run around my 2 acres and jump and dodge doggie poo from my dog and all the neighbor dogs. Round and round my yard. I also run up and down my dirt road. I say dirt but it's really a mixture of sand, limestone, and large chunks of rock, and huge pot holes. Not the easiest to run on. My neighbors think I'm crazy. However, they think I'm crazy anyway because I home school so I might as well feed their opinion with more crazy. :tongue_smilie:

Yesterday I ran a bit (on above explained dirt road) but it was only a mile. My 4 yr old decided to join me. Then I did some strength/weight circuits and wore myself out.

This morning was a very very easy 20 min yoga and then I had to make breakfast.

I'm considering running/walking at the park while my kids play. If they do all their school work today that is.

Monday - RPM (Spin class) and Yin Yoga in the morning, Bootcamp in the evening

Tuesday - BodyStep

Wednesday - Yoga

Thursday - Bootcamp

Friday - BodyCombat

Saturday - The plan is maybe BodyPump and BodyStep combo but most likely I will only have time for step class

Monday - RPM (Spin class) and Yin Yoga in the morning, Bootcamp in the evening

Tuesday - BodyStep

Wednesday - Yoga

Thursday - Bootcamp

Friday - BodyCombat

Saturday - The plan is maybe BodyPump and BodyStep combo but most likely I will only have time for step class

I ordered the home version of Body Combat. Should be here next week. In addition to Strength earlier today, I did BJJ. Oh. my. gosh.

I ordered the home version of Body Combat. Should be here next week. In addition to Strength earlier today, I did BJJ. Oh. my. gosh.

Combat is pretty awesome, I hope you enjoy it! If you like it you should find a class and try it live. :)

What is BJJ?