Menu

Fine Arts Credit

It's looking like the Christian school where dd wanted to do Chorus next semester is not going to be having the class because they lost their teacher. What have you used for a fine arts credit for a child who isn't involved in an outside arts activity? Dd took piano as a small child, so I'm thinking of getting some adult piano books to have her go through. What other types of things would be good to add into a full fine arts credit?

We are also using The TC lectures How to listen to and understand great music, plus many live concerts, for music education.

For Art, DD has read The Annotated Mona Lisa, Sister Wendy's Story of painting, watched Khan Academy videos and, most importantly, visited numerous art museums.

ETA: For either, I do not bother with exams. I simply award a grade of "P" for Pass/Participation.

My oldest took Drawing I and Drawing II at the cc for her fine arts credit. She was going to major in animation, but has switched her focus to game design now.

My middle dd took private piano lessons for her fine arts credit.

My youngest is a musician. She is taking guitar, banjo, and voice lessons weekly. Guitar and banjo are combined into a single 45 minute lesson and she has a 30 minute voice lesson each week which she'd love to bump up to 2 lessons/week. She'd also like the move her guitar/banjo lesson to a full hour. We just can't afford to do all of that. We're going to see about bumping up the 2 lessons/week for voice, but I'm not sure we'll be able to swing even that. It's been an expensive year. She will have plenty of fine arts credits. She is probably going to either get an associate's in commerical music management or go to cosmetology school, so it doesn't matter as much (in terms of matching up with what colleges are looking for), but I want to make sure that if she ends up wanting to go to a 4-year school, she will have the ability to do it. She would probably still get an associate's first though.

Harmony Fine Arts has free downloads for music appreciation here http://harmonyfinearts.org/free-downloads/ I've no idea how much credit they are worth.

We used the art appreciation along with outside drawing lessons in 9th grade for .5 credit of fine art, and it seemed like plenty of work for that amount of credit. Dd has also taken oodles of other outside classes; we'll count the theatre classes for the other .5 credit.

One DS here did Filmmaking for his Fine Arts; the other did Drumming (both "home made" courses).

Could I combine several topics into 1 credit for Fine Arts, or do I need to pick two areas and do 1/2 credits? I could keep up with hours spent on everything.

Depends on if you have specific regulations in your area, but if not, you could enjoy four different topics if your student wants to try a variety. Do a 0.25 credit for each, and call it something like "Survey of Fine Arts", or "Fine Arts Overview", or "Intro to Fine Arts"... Enjoy!

Neither of my sons are very interested in art or music, but they needed a fine arts credit. One of them did the drawing book "How Great Thou Art" by Barry Stebbing that came with DVDs.

The other son watched the TC series on The World's Greatest Paintings. He visited several art museums, and I had him do one of the 6 project courses on DVD from Atelier so he'd get some hands-on art. He also did the Art merit badge through Boy Scouts. He was in the church choir for 5 years, but it was in middle school & below, so I didn't count that towards the high school fine arts credit.

HTH,

Brenda

One thing to make sure of is do you need a credit where your student produces art or just studies about an art. Art history might count for the second but not for the first.

At the college level a fine art degree would indicate a student who produced art in some way, but at the high school level this is muddled term and means a lot of things.

Not mentioned in this discussion is drama and theater or dance both of which could also be used. (Which means with some creativity that you could also include watching movies and dissecting them as a possible credit).

The choices I gave to my kids (mostly relating to my middle dd because my other two knew exactly what they wanted to do) were actually making art or music (i.e., drawing or painting or sculpting or playing an instrument) or learning about the history of art or music or doing theater or learning about the history of theater.

I was actually quite surprised that my middle dd chose to learn to play piano. I figured she'd prefer art history or music history.

My oldest was very focused on drawing and both cc drawing courses counted towards her major (and were actually required for her major). My youngest is very focused on music. She may even add another instrument soon. She has been playing banjo for almost one year now and might add the mandolin too.

My middle dd is the one who had absolutely no interest in anything that would count for a fine arts credit.

Well, my son is involved in lots of outside arts activities. He dances, sings with a choir, does theatre, sees a ton of theatre and dance, goes to concerts, etc. Most of that goes on the extracurricular list, though.

I gave half a credit last year for choir and another for "Intro to Theatre." However, I also signed him up for a music appreciation class with FLVS that will be another full credit.

He's an artsy kid, and his transcript will reflect that.

Thanks for all the replies! I think I'm going to do this for her full credit. How does it sound?

1 full credit in Fine Arts focusing on Music and Art Appreciation

20 hours from last year's Chorus participation

Study piano using No Brainer Play Piano and Breezin Thru Theory (if I need both)

Study music history with a book such as this

Attend a concert or two and possibly write a paper

Drawing weekly using How to Draw from the Right Side and Mark Kistler's site

Study art history using a book such as the Annotated Mona Lisa or something else

Visit a museum and possibly write a paper

For one ds I used Alpha Omega Life Pac Art. It covered different art media and art terms (value, scale, line...).

For my other ds he earned 2 Fine Arts credits, For one credit he learned to play piano: completed 2 adult piano books and performed certain pieces from the books. For the 2nd credit he read Sister Wendy's The Story of Painting and wrote a research paper on a specific art period, he also had to visit the art museum several times to find specific examples of art period/artist/art vocabulary (use of line, shading, shadow...)

For my ds who is doing high school now, he is working through Artistic Pursuit bk 1 and 2. He tried going the piano path but died when he got to When The Saints Go Marching In...never could get it, got frustrated, and quit. He now is trying the art books. He is NOT an artist (his stick figures look deranged) but he is getting a grade on each project if he meets each requirement, puts an actual effort into it, and is creative. He is surprising both himself and me with his drawings, very pleased with this program.

Thanks for all the replies! I think I'm going to do this for her full credit. How does it sound?

1 full credit in Fine Arts focusing on Music and Art Appreciation

20 hours from last year's Chorus participation

Study piano using No Brainer Play Piano and Breezin Thru Theory (if I need both)

Study music history with a book such as this

Attend a concert or two and possibly write a paper

Drawing weekly using How to Draw from the Right Side and Mark Kistler's site

Study art history using a book such as the Annotated Mona Lisa or something else

Visit a museum and possibly write a paper

Sounds good! I would just suggest some sort of interaction or output for the Music History and Annotated Mona Lisa books -- perhaps try a mix of these:

- prepare some questions (or use end of chapter questions if the books have that), and discuss each chapter

- write up a quiz for her to take on each chapter

- have DD give a short presentation -- maybe even a power point -- on each chapters

- have DD write a short (3 paragraph) "reader response" to each chapter

Warmest regards, Lori D.