Menu

question....my daughter just got braces....

and there is a wire that is sticking out the last bracket and it is poking her. The wax her dentist gave her doesn't stick very well. Her dentist is 45 minutes away and we really didn't want to travel that far for them to just clip it....plus I they won't be in the office until Monday and we can't take her in that day...so what can we do? Any suggestions??

When my kiddos had their braces first put on, they purposefully left just a little extra wire to allow for the big adjustments that the teeth will make at first. I wouldn't clip it right now, if i were you. I would try to cover it with wax as much as possible and then go in to see if they wanted to clip it or leave it.

When I had braces many many years ago, having a wire poking in my mouth was one of the worst feelings. Obviously it scratched the same place and basically tore a hole in my mouth. I think my dentist was a nincompoop. I had to live with wax in my mouth. I can't see how having extra wire is a good thing. The point is for the wire to be tight to move the teeth. That's why we go in to have braces tightened periodically. I hope you find a solution. I cried a lot when I had braces. My ds16 has braces but they keep the wire fitted close. He's never had a problem with them.