Menu

Is Playmobile Worth It?

We just discovered playmobil last year. Thank heavens I have two younger girls who like it or I wouldn't have an excuse to buy it, lol. I only wish I would have realized how much fun playmobil was when my older kids were younger.

Toysrus just had a 20% off coupon and I'll bet you'll be able to find some good deals on it this weekend. The Happy Hen store someone linked earlier seems to consistently have good prices. Have fun!!

Yes!! Previously we bought a lot of lego sets and I really regret it. As you know the lego sets are now to be built and set up as a play set similar to playmobil, however the lego sets just fall apart and over time ... are gone. No matter the amount of organizing that we've done, they are just gone. Maybe when he's older, he will have the patience to dig through all of the pieces and rebuild but for now, they are a waste. We prefer other brands to fulfill the building obsession. The Playmobil sets however and still going strong. The amazing thing is that it was just this year when he really started getting into them more and more and playing with them a lot. Maybe it was because I bought sets that were related to what we were doing in history, I don't know, but he will spend hours with them acting out scenes that are a combination of history, books he's read, shows he watches, and games he plays.

For Christmas this year, we splurged and bought the big castle since we are at that point in SOTW2. Amazon had a great deal on this Lion Knights' Castle last night. Unfortunately it only lasted for about 20 minutes. You have to be lucky and fast to get the good deals. Another good thing about them is that they have a very high resale value so if you decide not to keep them, you can make back a good amount of $$ when you sell them.

Also tonight starting at 8pm, this castle will be on sale at toysrus for $24.99!! Dragon Knight Castle

My DD plays with her playmobil along with Lego. We held off on Playmobil until this past year, when they had the Ancient Egypt ones dirt cheap, and when we got some, I wish we'd gotten it earlier. I found some of the Roman sets really cheap, so she's getting them for Christmas :)

It depends on the kid. My kids never played with the castle we bought and spent a long time assembling on Christmas Eve. My boys are engineers though, and they love things they can design and build rather than just playing with stuff. Mostly they just play with Legos, and that has been the way it has been since they were around 3 when my oldest son got his first Lego set.

It depends on the kid. My kids never played with the castle we bought and spent a long time assembling on Christmas Eve. My boys are engineers though, and they love things they can design and build rather than just playing with stuff. Mostly they just play with Legos, and that has been the way it has been since they were around 3 when my oldest son got his first Lego set.

I think the "building" part was the flop with Playmobile. Kiddo does play a little bit of story with his legos, but the building is the big part. Thus Zoobs, K'nex, Snap Circuits, etc have all been hits while Playmobile was a waste. If you child is big on the building rather than role playing and story telling, you might look for another toy. It makes sense, IYKWIM.

I think the "building" part was the flop with Playmobile. Kiddo does play a little bit of story with his legos, but the building is the big part. Thus Zoobs, K'nex, Snap Circuits, etc have all been hits while Playmobile was a waste. If you child is big on the building rather than role playing and story telling, you might look for another toy. It makes sense, IYKWIM.

:iagree: My boys were given a couple of sets when they were younger and they just never played with them. On the other hand, they have been playing with Legos for probably 8 years now and that is still the only thing on my nearly 15 year olds Christmas list. They love the building aspect which you really can't do much of in Playmobil.

On the other hand my girls have been absolutely infatuated with Playmobil from the day their brothers gave them their old sets (construction theme and all). We now own pretty much every piece from the dollhouse theme, the school theme, and many others. They have no use for Legos. They really like the people and animal parts best. No interest in building "things".

So it really depends on what style of play your child likes better.

I don't know - my builder loves the Playmobil too. He will creatively merge together a hospital and a castle and part of a Roman colosseum and make up stories about time traveling knights attacking wild Roman animals. Maybe it just depends on the kid? They are probably not the first toy pulled off the shelf, but well-loved here.

I told Dh about all your reviews so we took the kids to a local toy store that has a TON of Playmobil stuff on display. Ds really took to a small castle and dragon they had laid out, so we're going to get him the smallest castle set and see how much it gets played with. If it really takes off we'll invest in more. They had a bunch of the Advent calenders too and I was really tempted to get one for the kids, but I'll practice self control till Christmas day!

For us, a big, big yes - it was the primary toy played with at our house for most of childhood. For the most part we avoided big buildings and concentrated on people, animals, and vehicles. The backgrounds were build with wood blocks, legos, board games, wood trains, etc. to set up sporting events, schools, towns, crime scenes, circuses, etc. etc. etc.