Menu

Vocabulary for 7th and 8th grade..

michaeljenn

We are using Jensen's and really like it. I like the way they have to work with the roots over and over to figure out the meanings of the words. It gets them really familiar with the roots so they can use that knowledge with other words.

I'll have both a 7th grade ds and an 8th grade dd.

For vocab we will be doing:

*Vocab from Classical Roots A

*1day/wk vocab analysis with Classical Writing's Aesop& Homer for Older Beginners

*lots of reading and discussion w/ Sonlight core 100

I have also considered switching VfCR out and using Word Roots software instead. It sounds like more fun, but we already have most of the bks for VfCR... and I think the bks will make it easier for me to stay in touch with what they are learning. I tend to loose track of the work they just do on the computer.

hth

We're using Amsco's A Scholarship Vocabulary Program. Ds did Course I and half of Course II in 7th and will finish book II and do Course III in 8th. I like it because it has the students do a variety of exercises including synonym/antonyms, context clues, analogies, and concise writing. They are little books, published by the same people that do Vocabulary for the High School Student and Vocabulary for the College Student.

We're using Amsco's A Scholarship Vocabulary Program. Ds did Course I and half of Course II in 7th and will finish book II and do Course III in 8th. I like it because it has the students do a variety of exercises including synonym/antonyms, context clues, analogies, and concise writing. They are little books, published by the same people that do Vocabulary for the High School Student and Vocabulary for the College Student.

I'm going to start my 7th grader in this program as well, but Course I and II are now out of print. I'm going to spread Course III over two years since we're also doing Latin. By the way, one of the reps at Amsco told me they are working on a new program for middle school; but she didn't know when it would be available.

Louise

Hi Janie,

The exercises are similar. The words are simpler--these books are intended for middle school. I can't find book I at the moment, but a sample word list from the beginning of book II is: aquit, alternate, condone, congested, crucial, drowsy, encumber, impair, inane, infraction. The first exercise involves using the words in context, ie An inane suggestion usually provokes (laughter, admiration). The students have to choose the correct word that makes logical sense of the sentence. The next section involves filling in list words in given sentences, ie There is little chance the jury will _________ the suspect because his fingerprints at the scene of the crime are __________ evidence of his guilt. One of my favorite types of exercises is the "Synonym Roundup" where the students have to fill in missing letters in three synonyms.

f--lish s-lly in-ne

a-quit abs-lve ex-n-rate

exc-se overl--k c-nd-ne

etc.

The first difference you'll notice between these and VFTHSS and VFTCBS is the size. Those are big books--about 8.5 x 11 " and 300 pages. The SVP books are little--about 6 x 9 " and 150 pages. Each has 15 lessons. Lessons 1-4, 6-9, and 11-14 start with a list of 10 words, have about three exercises with them, then introduce 10 more words with three more exercises, then have 3 or 4 more exercises using all 20 words. lessons 5, 10, and 15 are review lessons.

Sample words from the end of book III: abstemious, anomaly, assuage, disaffect, divest, equilibrium, founder, gorge, hefty, inebriated, munificent, paltry, pamper, perturbation, precursor, prescient, retrospect, trivia, unleash, volatile.

One more thing--VFTHSS teaches many of the words in the context of roots, prefixes and suffixes, and country of origin. ASVP doesn't. It is just lists with only the context of using them in sentences and stories, no word part studies.

HTH!