Menu

The new Galore Park Greek has been published

Laura Corin

After an 8 year wait I can't believe the day has finally arrived.

Off to go look. Thanks for the heads-up!

Bill

Yes indeed. My boys have gone beyond the stage of wanting to learn Greek - both are heavily involved in music, as well as each learning three languages.... actually Hobbes is learning four, but only temporarily. Perhaps I should study the Greek book myself.

I think they must have had a false start with the book - the eventual authors are not the ones who were mentioned to me previously.

Laura

Yes indeed. My boys have gone beyond the stage of wanting to learn Greek - both are heavily involved in music, as well as each learning three languages.... actually Hobbes is learning four, but only temporarily. Perhaps I should study the Greek book myself.

I think they must have had a false start with the book - the eventual authors are not the ones who were mentioned to me previously.

Laura

I suspect you are correct and they had one (or more) false starts.

I was hoping they might come out with something a little more "elementary" (more Latin Prep-ish) as a first level, as from the sample this one looks like it escalates pretty quickly, but having any new classical Greek book out is a positive.

Bill

Font looks larger than Athenaze and has activities that would interest DD. We're using Elementary Greek, Book 2, which has a workbook and textbook. Galore's Greek doesn't have a workbook, right? Just want to make sure I'm not missing an element.

I'm tempted, but DD does best if there is a workbook. Writing in a separate notebook seems to take a lot of time for her, which is why EG is working so well for us.

I'm still waiting for First Form Greek. What's happening with MP?

ETA: I just printed it out, and no, the font is not larger than Athenaze's, but DD is certainly enjoying the activities. It's more fun than EG, but it's also harder for a level 1 book, unless you already have experience with other books. Where is the practice section for the alphabet?

Thanks for the heads up.

We finally caved and started Hey Andrew this year with the thought of maybe doing First Start online with MP next fall (I just want him to get comfortable with the alphabet) This is worth a look though as he did not do well with Latina Christiana and is doing well with Latin Prep.

Where is the practice section for the alphabet?

As far as I can see there isn't one. This was the same in the previous GP book, written by one of the co-authors of the new book. The letters were just listed. I printed out a bunch of worksheets from the internet (there were a lot available from university sites) and used those.

Laura

As far as I can see there isn't one. This was the same in the previous GP book, written by one of the co-authors of the new book. The letters were just listed. I printed out a bunch of worksheets from the internet (there were a lot available from university sites) and used those.

Laura

Thanks, Laura. We finished Greek Alphabet Code Cracker before commencing with EG. There were enough practice pages in both books.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much! I just downloaded the sample for dd. Now she can decide easily if she wants the book. She has worked through most of the Elementary Greek series and wants to add in attic greek. I think this might be the best way to start to do that but she needs to do the work.

I contacted the publisher and they have put up the table of contents to go with the first chapter sample.

Laura

Thank you, do you think the publisher will sell a PDF version? I don't think I've seen such an option with their other books, but was just wondering.

Looking at the TOC, I think I will have to buy it, even though the font is smaller than I would prefer. DD loves what she has done so far in chapter 1, and since loves Greek, I want to make sure to continue her progress. I'm ordering from Ray at horriblebooks, which means I'll probably get it in February, allowing us to finish Eementary Greek 2.

Thank you, do you think the publisher will sell a PDF version? I don't think I've seen such an option with their other books, but was just wondering.

Looking at the TOC, I think I will have to buy it, even though the font is smaller than I would prefer. DD loves what she has done so far in chapter 1, and since loves Greek, I want to make sure to continue her progress. I'm ordering from Ray at horriblebooks, which means I'll probably get it in February, allowing us to finish Eementary Greek 2.

I've not heard of their selling PDFs, but you can always contact them and ask.

Laura

Buy it through horriblebooks.com or bookdepository.co.uk

Ok-horriblebooks.com is the FUNNIEST site! Thanks for letting me know about it. I always meant to thank you as well for your recommendation for Galore Park French (we love it, so thank you very much!). Now, latin. Oh my, I might just OD my kids on languages...

Laura, how does this compare with the book Waite wrote earlier? I can see one advantage in that this one has the answer key while Classical Greek for Beginners does not.

I used the earlier book: it was a very slight one-year introduction. I think that the new one (as far as I can see from the samples) is much more robust.

Laura

I always meant to thank you as well for your recommendation for Galore Park French (we love it, so thank you very much!). Now, latin. Oh my, I might just OD my kids on languages...

You're welcome: I'm glad it has worked out.

Calvin is top of his school in Latin - I put it all down to Latin Prep.

Laura