Menu

Books w/normal kids doing magic (like in Half Magic)?

LaughingCat

My older DD9 has requested more books like Half Magic - where normal, everyday children experience/do magic (and not of the go to a magical land variety). I've got lots of fantasy on our bookshelf but it seems few of normal everyday kids - many of the books about magic are set in another world, going to another land, talking/magical animals or fairies/magical creatures. DD9 is a struggling reader so I would love to find at least some books easier than Half Magic (which I read aloud to her) and I'd be happy to hear about harder picture books too.

Here's what I've found so far that appears to fit (*can read herself)

Magic Finger by Dahl*

the rest of the Half-Magic series of course

Five Children and It

Castle in the Attic

So You want to be a Wizard (although I'd rather wait on this one)

Harry Potter (we did this one as a read aloud on her request- started good but she got bored midway and asked to stop - after he went off to magic school )

questionable:

Imp that Ate My Homework* (haven't actually read this but appears more about the imp?)

No Flying in the House* ( since it turns out she's part fairy at the end)

Spiderwick Chronicles* (not really about magic as much as magical creatures)

The Lightening Thief (since he is part God)

Also, here's some she's read and enjoyed but says are not quite the right idea -

Magic Treehouse

Katie Kazoo

Flat Stanley

ETA read alouds that also aren't quite right

My Father's Dragon by Ruth Stiles Gannett

Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Jester

The Lion, the Witch, and The Wardrobe by CS Lewis

Any suggestions?

Edited by llolly

E. Nesbit (author of Five Children and It) wrote lots of other books. I haven't read them all but she was my first thought.

Yes, she was the inspiration for Edward Eager. In Five Children and It they find a magical creature who does the actual spell, and similarly in The Phoenix and the Carpet. But I think the same object is generally the case in Eager's book (the magic nickel, etc). Anything by Nesbit is a good idea. The Magic City is about a boy who builds a city out of blocks and other household items that comes to life. Sort of like Eager's Knight's Castle.

Other potential items:

Tom's Midnight Garden by Philippa Pearce

Beyond the Pawpaw Trees by Palmer Brown

Bedknob and Broomstick by Mary Norton

Beyond the Attic Wall by Sylvia Cassedy

The Cuckoo Clock by Mrs Molesworth

Mistress Masham's Repose by TH White

The Boggart by Susam Cooper

The Diamond in the Window by Jane Langton

The Ear, the Eye, and the Arm by Nancy Farmer

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Caroll

Where the Mountain Meets the Moon by Grace Lin

Borderline contenders

The Bears Upstairs - ordinary girl stumbles across extraterrestrial bears, sort of an interesting read

The Furious Flycycle - again not quite magical, but ordinary boy invents flying bicycle, which is at least fantastic

Jennifer, Hecate, MacBeth, William McKinley, and Me, Elizabeth by Konigsburg - two ordinary girls try to become witches

Pippi Longstocking is not exactly magical, but as close as you can get while still being mortal ;)

The Doll's House by Rumer Godden

Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbit

Edited by stripe

I'll second (or third) the vote for books by E. Nesbit. My girls loved every one they read or listened too. We owned all of the Eager books. My kids liked some better than others.

I see that No Flying in the House is on your questionable list. I'll put in a plug for that one too. My girls really liked it. It is also easier than many of the other books, which makes it a good one for your dd to read to herself.

I agree, No Flying in the House is cute, and even though she is half-fairy, she doesn't know that she is. The tiny dog is sort of intriguing, too.

Also one of the books we are slowly working our way through at present is Rosemary Manning's Green Smoke, which is actually the first in a series, about a normal girl who befriends a dragon.

ETA: Enright's Long Ago Lake

Edited by stripe

Thanks! I've been busy putting some of these on hold on the library to give them a look. I've especially high hopes for Sister Magic. Plus Where the Mountain Meets the Moon is on my read aloud list already :)

But just to clarify a bit more, a few of these recommended we've already read aloud and are not what she's asking for -too much "go to another land" I suppose (added to OP too):

Hmmm, well, even a number of the titles you listed also have children going to another land... Even some of the adventures in the Half Magic series involve *going elsewhere*. (Just an aside: I think the reason that the vast majority of books are set in magic or fantastical lands is because that is the appeal of fantasy for most people -- the ability to "take a vacation" from everyday settings and real life. :))

And then add to that, titles that are at a 9yo reading level... I can hardly come up with any titles that fit the theme, and by adding the age requirement for solo reading ability… Alas, can't come up with a single title. :( Would your DD be open to child-detectives or mysterious adventures to expand the possible list? Below is all I can come up with; none are exactly what you are requesting; hopefully something will connect a little with your DD. BEST of luck! Warmly, Lori D.

2nd/3rd grade reading level

- The Littles series (Peterson) -- small people living in human world

- Toots and the Upside Down House (and sequels) (Hughes) -- ordinary girl meets fantastic girl and her world

- Catwings series (LeGuin) -- flying, talking cats

- Magic Tree House (series) (Osborne) -- ordinary children travel to historical times

- Moongobble and Me (series) (Coville) -- fantasy world setting

- Dragonslayer Academy (series) (McMullan) -- fantasy world setting

3rd grade reading level

- Glenda (Udry) -- OOP book; witch tries to pass as an ordinary girl at school, with humorous results

- The Borrowers (series) (Norton) -- family of little people live by borrowing from humans

- Pippi Longstockings; Pippi in the South Seas (Astrid) -- girl with super-human strength, sails a ship, encounters with pirates, lots of fun

- Magic Rainbow Fairy (series) (Meadows) -- fantasy world

- Flower Fairies Friends (series) (Barker) -- fantasy world

- Fairy Realm (series) (Rodda) -- fantasy world

- The Unicorn's Secret (series) (Duey) -- fantasy world

3rd/4th grade reading level

- Invisible Inc. series (Levy) -- boy accidentally turned invisible forms a detective agency with his friends

- Twig (Jones) -- girl builds a little house of a soup can, and fairies come to inhabit it

- Miss Pickerell (series) (MacGregor) -- OOP books; humorous, improbable mis-adventures of ordinary older lady Miss Pickerell and her cow

- The Rescuers, Miss Bianca, The Turret, Miss Bianca in the Salt Mines, Miss Bianca in the Orient (Sharp) -- OOP books; talking mice of the Prisoner's Aid Society rescue humans in need

- Pippi Longstockings; Pippi in the South Seas (Astrid) -- ordinary world and children meet Pippi, a girl with extraordinary strength and fun adventures

- The Borrowers (series) (Norton) -- little people in human world

- Charlie & the Chocolate Factory; Great Glass Elevator (Dahl) -- ordinary boy's adventures in an extraordinary candy factory

- The Enchanted Forest series (Wrede) -- girl protagonist in a fantasy land setting

- The World's Best Fairy Tales (Sideman) -- a Reader's Digest Anthology of fairytales

- Land of Oz; Ozma of Oz (Baum) -- fantasy world visited by Dorothy, an ordinary girl

4th grade reading level

- Twig (Jones) -- girl builds a little house of a soup can, and fairies come to inhabit it

- Mrs. Piggle Wiggle series (MacDonald) -- ordinary children cured of laziness, selfishness, etc. by Mrs. Piggle Wiggles creative fixes

- The Shades (Brock) -- OOP; after having water from the dolphin fountain splash on him, a boy's eyes are opened to see the shadow people who live in his garden

- stories from Alfred Hitchcock's Haunted Houseful -- I always loved "Jimmie Takes Vanishing Lessons" -- ordinary boy learns how to vanish from a ghost!

4th/5th grade reading level (or use as Read Alouds)

- Dragon of Lonely Island (and sequel) (Rupp) -- ordinary children experience magic-like adventures

- Mysterious Benedict Society (and sequels) (Stewart) -- intelligent, resourceful children go on a secret mission

- Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (Fleming) -- adventure of ordinary family to an extraordinary land

READ ALOUDS

- The Secret Garden (Burnett) -- no magic, but child restore a hidden garden and in so doing, relationships are restored

- Peter and the Starcatchers (series) (Barrie) -- Peter Pan adventures to fantastic lands

- Half Magic; Magic by the Lake; Knight's Castle; Time Garden; Seven Day Magic (Eager)

- Five Children and It; The Phoenix and the Carpet; The Amulet; The Book of Dragons (Nesbit)

- The Father Christmas Letters (Tolkien) -- charming adventures of Father Christmas and the North Polar Bear

- The Secret of Platform 13 (Ibbotson) -- kinder, gentler Harry Potter

- Children of the Lamp (series) (Kerr) -- ordinary children discover they have extraordinary powers, and adventures

- Chronicles of Narnia (Lewis) -- ordinary children go to fantastic land

- Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (Carroll) -- ordinary girl goes to fantastic land

- The Wolves of Willoughby Chase (Aiken) -- no magic; orphans a cruel governess and adventure

- The Ordinary Princess (Kaye) -- no magic, but charming story of an ORDINARY prince and princess

- The Father Christmas Letters (Tolkien) -- charming Christmas fantasy

- The Secret Garden (Burnett) -- no magic, but child restore a hidden garden and in so doing, relationships are restored

NOT personally familiar with these:

- Ordinary Magic (Rubino-Bradway)

- Sisters Grimm (series) (Buck)

- Candymakers (Mass) -- ordinary children have extraordinary adventures in a Willie-Wonka-like candy factory setting

- books by Ruth Chew ??

- Invention of Hugo Cabret -- and others by author Brian Selnick ??

Edited by Lori D.

The Green Knowe series features regular kids with magic.

Mary Poppins

Nurse Matilda

The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles (kids go to a magical land, but have to learn to do magic to get there)

The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making (and its sequel)

The Wind Boy

Hmmm, well, even a number of the titles you listed also have children going to another land... Even some of the adventures in the Half Magic series involve *going elsewhere*. (Just an aside: I think the reason that the vast majority of books are set in magic or fantastical lands is because that is the appeal of fantasy for most people -- the ability to "take a vacation" from everyday settings and real life. :))

And then add to that, titles that are at a 9yo reading level... I can hardly come up with any titles that fit the theme, and by adding the age requirement for solo reading ability… Alas, can't come up with a single title. :(

You see my problem :lol:

I did talk with her more just now and I think the difference in her mind is the kid's ability to do/wish the magic (vs. something happening to said kid taking them to magical land) and also it being someone 'like her' (vs. someone living in another world, a princess, mermaid or a talking animal). Which does open the door to books with kids who go to magical land and then can do magic there.

Great list by the way :001_smile:

I've got a perfect one for you, if you have a budget for them. You won't find them at your library. Ruth Chew wrote about 25 books that fit the description you're looking for, and they were my favorite books as a little girl. They're easy to get used, and not really expensive, especially if you get a lot on ebay. In almost every single book a pair of siblings finds some kind of magical object that either takes them somewhere or allows them to do magic. It's a different set of siblings or friends in each book, but they are still quite formulaic. RL is about 3. Much easier than Nesbit or Eager.

I thought of one more, maybe? The Fairy Rebel - ordinary woman befriended by a fairy who grants her wish when she shouldn't have and chaos ensues.

However, this may be the point at which you can't please a kid. ;) Help her understand that the book she wants is the one she needs to write and that in the meantime while she prepares for next year's Nanowrimo, she can try out some of these other options. I have two picky readers as well, so I get it. No, kid, there is no other book EXACTLY like Frindle. What would be the point of that? One of mine also gives me very specific criteria and then rejects the things that fit it. Bonkers. Sometimes what he ends up picking and loving is the thing that *least* fits the rigid checklist of stuff he wanted in his next book. So... just a thought.

I really think for read alouds that Green Knowe, Diamond in the Window, some of the E. Nesbit books, and Matilda are your best bets to try first. And then, for more modern options, Savvy and something by Wendy Maas - Candymakers or 11 Birthdays.

No, kid, there is no other book EXACTLY like Frindle. What would be the point of that? One of mine also gives me very specific criteria and then rejects the things that fit it. Bonkers.

Nice to know I'm not alone. I have a request for a book now, stated in terms of the tense, tone, and subject matter (which I didn't really understand). Yeah, okay.

the difference in her mind is the kid's ability to do/wish the magic (vs. something happening to said kid taking them to magical land) and also it being someone 'like her'

Oh, I totally got that from your initial posts; DD would love magic to happen to her. And I'm right there with her! ;) That's why I tried to give you a brief description of each book, thinking it might help you determine if it would be a fit at all or not. I was not such a discriminating reader when I was your DD's age :tongue_smilie: -- I just loved all fantasy. :)

Someone recommended Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett on another thread. I got a couple of those about the Tiffany Aching character. (Note that I'm probably spelling all these things wrong, but you have enough to find it on Amazon.) Oldest DD just read all three book I got her & politely requested any more in the series about that character.

It starts out with the girl (youngest girl, 2nd youngest sibling of six? kids) on a farm who is good at making cheese & has to watch her younger brother all the time. That's as far as I've gotten, but apparently she becomes a witch.

I was not such a discriminating reader when I was your DD's age :tongue_smilie: -- I just loved all fantasy. :)
Ha! Me too! I've actually got many, many young adult fantasy books waiting for her if she goes that route (including lots that I read and enjoyed as a not so young adult :lol: ). So even if some of these books you all have so helpfully listed don't pan out for DD, I'll probably enjoy them ;)

I do have many of the more typical younger fantasy books on our shelves like those on Lori D's list too (although some new ones to me there that I'll be looking into ) like Littles, Catwings, MTH, Moongobble, DragonSlayer, Rainbow Fairies, Fairy Realm etc. Just turns out not too many realistic style where kid magic is a major factor LOL!

However, DD is still a very slow reader. It's definitely more of a commitment for her to read a book. She does tend to "taste" books by reading a chapter or two, but it's not nearly the same as my "read voraciously then re-read the ones you love" method. So I don't think she's being demanding as much as just asking if there is something like that available... wishing so to speak :tongue_smilie:

P.S. my library does have 1 Ruth Chew book :party:

However, DD is still a very slow reader. It's definitely more of a commitment for her to read a book. She does tend to "taste" books by reading a chapter or two, but it's not nearly the same as my "read voraciously then re-read the ones you love" method. So I don't think she's being demanding as much as just asking if there is something like that available... wishing so to speak :tongue_smilie:

P.S. my library does have 1 Ruth Chew book :party:

True fantasy can be tough for a struggling reader. Maybe your dd instictively knows that. Lots of made up words and places and ideas. She probably wants the adventure, but without extra struggle. It's hard enough to decode our world's language! ;)

If I may, I'd like to add to add two series that dd loved. They do not fit your requirements, but they are lots of fun for her age and reading level. DD also loved the Sarah, Plain and Tall series at that time.

Sophie series by Dick King-Smith

The Worst Witch series by Jill Murphy. Amazon has some of them. You can probably buy them used.

Ha! Me too! I've actually got many, many young adult fantasy books waiting for her if she goes that route (including lots that I read and enjoyed as a not so young adult :lol: ). So even if some of these books you all have so helpfully listed don't pan out for DD, I'll probably enjoy them ;) ...

However, DD is still a very slow reader. It's definitely more of a commitment for her to read a book. She does tend to "taste" books by reading a chapter or two, but it's not nearly the same as my "read voraciously then re-read the ones you love" method. So I don't think she's being demanding as much as just asking if there is something like that available...

Oh, yes, I understand now. :)

Yes, I saw this to some extent in my own DSs. Younger DS was delayed in reaching reading fluency, and neither DS seemed to find their "niche" of what they enjoyed reading on their own until over 10yo -- and both have continued to be pretty limited in what they like to read on their own.

However, they always enjoyed read alouds of all types, so I just read and read and read and read all the way through high school even, just so we could experience those books together and give DSs exposure. It was good; we had many wonderful conversations as they got older, and have lots of good memories of so shared books. Perhaps this will turn out to be a similar sort of gift for you, too -- *you* will get to enjoy all the wonderful books again, but this time with DD! ;)

Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.

You see my problem :lol:

I did talk with her more just now and I think the difference in her mind is the kid's ability to do/wish the magic (vs. something happening to said kid taking them to magical land) and also it being someone 'like her' (vs. someone living in another world, a princess, mermaid or a talking animal). Which does open the door to books with kids who go to magical land and then can do magic there.

Great list by the way :001_smile:

Sounds like Matilda is exactly what she's looking for.