Menu

Can you suggest some good poems and such for my K'r?

bttrflyvld

I've been looking for memory work for my kindergartener. Is there a website with age appropriate memory work?

I've got some verses already in mind, so that's covered. I thought It's be nice to work in some neat poems, but can't seem to find any that would be simple enough for a k'er. Any suggestions?

My ds saw me looking and recommended these two.

Drinking Fountain

by Marchette Chute

When I climb up

To get a drink,

It doesn't work

The way you'd think.

I turn it up.

The water goes

And hits me right

Upon the nose.

I turn it down

To make it small

And don't get any

Drink at all.

A Limerick

by Elizabeth Ripley

There was a young hopeful named Sam

Who loved diving into the jam.

When his mother said "Sammy,

Don't make yourself jammy"

He said "You're too late, ma, I am!"

Another good one is the Little Cupboard by Walter de la Mare. Oh! Here's my 4yo's all time favorite. I can quote it without looking. :tongue_smilie:

The Birthday Child

by Rose Fyleman

Everything's been different

All the day long,

Lovely things have happened,

Nothing has gone wrong.

Nobody has scolded me,

Everyone has smiled.

Isn't it delicious

To be a birthday child?

Most of those were taken from Poems to Read to the Very Young by Josette Frank. It was printed in the 60s. eta: This is exactly what mine looks like.

Edited by SilverMoon

A couple of resources. We use (and love) IEW's poetry curriculum. If you want to know what poems they include (all in the public domain) you can check out their "sample" on the website. It's surprisingly, um, thorough.

My MIL had on her shelf (she's also homeschooling) a book that was put together for Dayton schools called For Memory's Garden. It has a really nice mixture of poetry, sayings, patriotic things in a format that was selected by grade. It's vintage, so free for download. I was able to purchase a copy used very inexpensively.

A couple of resources. We use (and love) IEW's poetry curriculum. If you want to know what poems they include (all in the public domain) you can check out their "sample" on the website. It's surprisingly, um, thorough.

I agree. Level 1 is what I'm doing with my 5,6, and 9 yr olds. They love it and doing well. Here is one:

Ooey Gooey was a worm,

A mighty worm was he,

He stepped upon a railroad track,

A train he did not see!

Oooeey Gooeey!

We love Memoria Press Kindergarten because of this. The teacher's manual is easy enough to sub math, phonics, etc. I have seen here many buy the guide just for a few elements of it, it's that good!

It includes opening recitations where they learn to skip count, name seven continents, days of week, how many seconds in a minute, long vowel sounds, etc.

I love their memory verses for bible, very simple and in order of their bible readings, which we enjoy as well.

The teacher's guide also has music and art selections each week as well as a read aloud book list that is very sweet and gentle.

LOVE MP K!!!

We love Memoria Press Kindergarten because of this. The teacher's manual is easy enough to sub math, phonics, etc. I have seen here many buy the guide just for a few elements of it, it's that good!

It includes opening recitations where they learn to skip count, name seven continents, days of week, how many seconds in a minute, long vowel sounds, etc.

I love their memory verses for bible, very simple and in order of their bible readings, which we enjoy as well.

The teacher's guide also has music and art selections each week as well as a read aloud book list that is very sweet and gentle.

LOVE MP K!!!

Yep, don't forget those fun facts in your memory work! :)

I just put together some more aspects of my lil' girls' memory binders (used 1/2 binders with pages in page protectors). We included those types of facts: continents, skip counting, ROYGBIV, 7 days of creation, 10 commandments (there are some neat finger-plays to help teach this!).

Another (short) poem idea (one my girls are working on for Thanksgiving):

Thanksgiving

For each new morning with its light, For rest and shelter of the night, For health and food, For love and friends, For everything Thy goodness sends.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

A few poems ...

The City Mouse and the Garden Mouse, Caterpillar, Who Has Seen the Wind by Christina Rossetti

February Twilight by Sara Teasdale

Day-Time Moon by Dorothy Aldis

Sleeping Outdoors by Marchette Chute

Pillow Song by Russel Hoban (the poem is posted in this review of a book I found it in)

Also, nursery rhymes and songs are helpful.

Some helpful books for finding poems you might enjoy:

A Child's Book of Poems by Gyo Fujikawa

Favorite Poems Old and New by Helen Ferris

Child's Garden of Verses by Robert Louis Stevenson

Animals, Animals by Eric Carle

Complete Book of the Flower Fairies by Cicely Mary Barker

My ds saw me looking and recommended these two.

Drinking Fountain

by Marchette Chute

When I climb up

To get a drink,

It doesn't work

The way you'd think.

I turn it up.

The water goes

And hits me right

Upon the nose.

I turn it down

To make it small

And don't get any

Drink at all.

A Limerick

by Elizabeth Ripley

There was a young hopeful named Sam

Who loved diving into the jam.

When his mother said "Sammy,

Don't make yourself jammy"

He said "You're too late, ma, I am!"

Another good one is the Little Cupboard by Walter de la Mare. Oh! Here's my 4yo's all time favorite. I can quote it without looking. :tongue_smilie:

The Birthday Child

by Rose Fyleman

Everything's been different

All the day long,

Lovely things have happened,

Nothing has gone wrong.

Nobody has scolded me,

Everyone has smiled.

Isn't it delicious

To be a birthday child?

Most of those were taken from Poems to Read to the Very Young by Josette Frank. It was printed in the 60s. eta: This is exactly what mine looks like.

Love it! Those are really cute.

We also love this little book! For memory work for my K'er I just grabbed a few kids poetry books from the library and found some poems I liked. There are some lovely little poems out there!

Mother Goose!!! Nothing better than that at that age!

Sing a Song of Popcorn is a cute little poetry anthology.

A book of A.A. Milne poetry... When We Were Young and Now We Are Six.

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned it, but maybe a Kinder could work on the poetry selections in FLL.

Edward Lear limericks are fun to learn and make at that age.

Also don't forget fingerplays. Marc Brown's Hand Rhymes or the selections in Anna Banana.