Menu

What should I read next?

I'm looking for a book to lose myself in. I just stopped reading, The Amazing Adventures of Kavilier and Clay, and I hated it. It's the first book this year that I gave up on reading. I made it through half and decided I was dreading reading. I even managed to finish Rothfuss's book. I didn't like it, but I could finish it.

I do read a wide variety of books, but my favorites this year were: American Gods, Jonathon Strange and Mr. Norrell, and Wind-Up Girl

That year my favorite was the Fire and Ice series (Game of Thrones), by Martin

I think I'm looking for something like Martin's.

Today I was looking at Joe Abercrombie, The Blade Itself. I was able to put an ehold on his book, Best Served Cold. They look good, but I don't know if the battle scenes would be overwhelming. I like action, but mostly I want to immerse myself in another world.

The thought about a Terry Pratchett book. I haven't read him yet, but his books may fit the bill.

Any suggestions? I need help. This last book was so awful (well, it was well written, but good prose does not solve everything!).

Dh said you would enjoy Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. For Pratchett on his own, he said you could start anywhere in the Disc World series and not go wrong. Two of his favorites are Night Watch and The Fifth Elephant.

I've never read Pratchett, but dh loves him, and always wants me to try. Someday I will!

ETA: He added Hogfather since Christmas is coming :)

Dh said you would enjoy Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. For Pratchett on his own, he said you could start anywhere in the Disc World series and not go wrong. Two of his favorites are Night Watch and The Fifth Elephant.

I've never read Pratchett, but dh loves him, and always wants me to try. Someday I will!

ETA: He added Hogfather since Christmas is coming :)

Thanks! Good Omens is on my list to read, but I wasn't sure it was a "get lost into" kind of book. Maybe I'll look again. I was going to get my ds13 some Pratchett books for Christmas, which is why I haven't jumped into them yet. But I want to. :001_smile:

I love Good Omens!!

I recently read the first two books of The Kingkiller Chronicles (third book is not out yet, rumor is next May?) by Phillip Rothfuss. The first book is The Name of the Wind. My sisters read them, my mom read them, my cousins read them, they were quite good.

Have you read any Patricia McKillip or Ursula LeGuin? They are two of my favorites.

I love Good Omens!!

I recently read the first two books of The Kingkiller Chronicles (third book is not out yet, rumor is next May?) by Phillip Rothfuss. The first book is The Name of the Wind. My sisters read them, my mom read them, my cousins read them, they were quite good.

Have you read any Patricia McKillip or Ursula LeGuin? They are two of my favorites.

I'll look them up. Thanks!

Good Omens for my Kindle, and then I ordered a used copy of Alphabet of Thorn I would rather have it on my Kindle, but Penguin is stupid and over charges for their Kindle books. When I can pay $4 used, why would I pay $13 for an electronic version. I would have paid up to $9 to get it on my Kindle.

Anyway, I'm excited to start reading. :D

Ok, Mrs. Mungo, I looked up the writers. Where to start? I'm having a hard time deciding which I want. :) I can't decide between the writers, but I'm leaning towards McKillip. Which book would be best to start with? I'm going to go with the Kindle edition.

McKillip: I love the Riddlemaster of Hed trilogy. You need to buy all three books at once because the first two end in cliffhangers. In the Forests of Serre, Od Magic and The Bell at Sealey Hill are also really good.

LeGuin: the Earthsea books are good, but The Left Hand of Darkness is my favorite.

McKillip: I love the Riddlemaster of Hed trilogy. You need to buy all three books at once because the first two end in cliffhangers. In the Forests of Serre, Od Magic and The Bell at Sealey Hill are also really good.

LeGuin: the Earthsea books are good, but The Left Hand of Darkness is my favorite.

I'm going to look for both of those (the trilogy and the LeGuin book during my next McKay's trip (used book store). I'm excited to start reading Gaiman and the McKillip book I ordered. :001_smile: Yay for new books. I haven't been excited about a book in a while. I trudged through Mieville's Perdido Station, (which I thought was good, but still a difficult and long read) and then I have been killing myself on the Michael Chabon book. I can't wait to just enjoy what I'm reading.

(Re: "Song of Fire and Ice") - Read Alikes. This is from the "NoveList Plus" database that my library (and maybe yours!) subscribes to.

Tide Lords by Fallon, Jennifer

Reason: George R.R. Martin and Jennifer Fallon have both created epic fantasies with multi-layered plots and exquisite world-building. The authors employ magic, secrets, deception, and the battle between good and evil to draw readers into their worlds.

Malazan Book of the Fallen by Erikson, Steven

Reason: Readers who enjoy the detailed world-building, complex plotting, large cast of characters, and epic battles of George R. R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series may enjoy Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen series.

Trial of Blood and Steel by Shepherd, Joel, 1974-

Reason: George R.R. Martin and Joel Shepherd both write heroic fantasies which feature royalty, swordplay, political corruption, and a battle between good and evil.

Dagger and the Coin by Abraham, Daniel

Reason: These epic fantasy series, set in medieval-inspired fictional worlds where once-powerful magic has dwindled, feature sprawling casts of flawed, realistic characters whose fates intersect in elaborate, complicated storylines characterized by warfare, political intrigue, and moral ambiguity

Acacia Trilogy by Durham, David Anthony, 1969-

Reason: George R.R. Martin and David Anthony Durham's fantasies feature a battle between good and evil where the line between the two is vague and ambiguous. Both authors write about the brutality in their imaginary worlds quite frankly

Lightbringer Series by Weeks, Brent

Reason: Strong world-building and well-drawn casts of characters distinguish these gritty, intricately plotted epic fantasy series. Fast-paced despite their length, both suspenseful series are rife with bloody battles and political intrigue

Alchymist's Legacy by Ash, Sarah

Reason: George R.R. Martin and Sarah Ash write challenging and complex fantasies that are steeped in all things steortypically contained in a fantasy - magic, wizards, royalty, and a battle between good and evil

Farseer Trilogy by Hobb, Robin

Reason: The Song of Ice and Fire and the Farseer Trilogy are fantasy fiction set in a medieval-type world. While these are fantasy, magic does not occur often; and when it does happen, it is often offstage. Both series are dark political sagas with a large cast of characters

Liveship Traders by Hobb, Robin

Reason: The Song of Ice and Fire and the Liveship traders are fantasy fiction set in a medieval-type world. While these are fantasy, magic does not occur often; and when it does happen, it is often offstage. Both series are dark political sagas with a large cast of characters.

The Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson.

It's awesome! It's dark and the first book was written 10 years before the rest of the series, so if you are a bit humho about it, please read the second book also before you decide if you like the series or not.

I hadn't read any fantasy the last ten years, because I got really bored by the farmboy-turns-out-to-be-prince-and-travels-with-friends-and-helpful-wizard-to-save-kingdom tales, but the Malazan books are really different. Can't recommend it enough! Truly awesome.