Menu

Phonics/reading question for a third grader

kandty

My youngest is third grade. He hates reading out loud! He does enjoy reading and reads alone a lot. I get him to read a little to me during science or religion (not very often) when I pretend I'm losing my voice and ask him to take over for a paragraph. He is missing words and not paying attention and saying other words than what's written on the page. I have him stop and try again and he usually picks it up the second time, but I can tell he has forgotten some basic phonics. I'm wondering if I need to do some more phonics with him? If so, what?

Right now my plan is to have him read to me just 5 minutes a few days a week to review phonics. If I do this, what book(s) would you recommend we read? Is this all we need to do? We gave up doing this last year because the readers I had for him he didn't enjoy.

I second the Dancing Bears.

My little guy had same problems-- skipping, guessing, etc.

Dancing Bears is the way. Because we started in 3rd we did the FastTrack option which is a combo of Level A/B, and are now doing C, although I rarely get around to it because the problems are virtually gone.

My kids love the Nora Gaydos readers.

We also like the readers from All About Learning Press. You can buy the readers without buying the entire program.

I also let my kids check out books at the library that are readers at their level. They are always excited to bring them home and read them.

Thanks for the suggestions. I wasn't really wanting to invest in a new spelling program or a phonics program. :confused:

What have you done in the past for phonics/spelling? What are you using now?

I can make some suggestions of free (for printing) materials. I'm just not sure from your OP how much formal phonics instruction he's had and if it's major weakness or just needing a brush up.

I checked out Phonics Pathways from the library to review phonics with my kids. That worked well and was free. You can go through it quickly or skip around in it as needed.

IMO you should definitely require your son to read aloud to you every day. I have my kids read aloud to me for about 15 minutes per day. I choose interesting books from the library which are at a challenging reading level for them. I often find my son skipping words or inserting extra words if he is reading too quickly. If he makes a mistake in a sentence, I have him stop and reread it slowly. This is tedious but necessary. One of the skills kids need to learn is to read aloud clearly and accurately. Reading aloud is a different skill than reading silently for one's own enjoyment, and it needs to be practiced.

I did this with a McGuffey Reader with my daughter last year for a semester (well, just over a semester) in 3rd grade. We did 15 minutes at least three times a week. (It was supposed to be four days a week, but ....) It worked great, even when she didn't really like the material sometimes. I would read to her for 15 minutes (her choice of book) when she was done.

We had the timer set for both of us. :-)

Good luck!