Menu

Moms of sensory integration kids (or anyone who wants to hear some good news)

My 12 year old has dealt with sensory integration/processing disorder for his entire life and has received OT services (among others) since he was three years old.

He last ate a green vegetable when he was four years old. He threw it up immediately. His fruit and vegetable intake has consisted of only apples, potatoes, carrots, and pasta sauce (run through the food processor to have no lumps) for years. I should have bought stock in organic apples years ago.

Yesterday, he asked for and ate some plain lettuce leaves "for the health benefits". He announced that this is something he would be willing to do long term. This morning, he asked for three lettuce leaves after breakfast.

I swear I heard the Hallelujah Chorus in my head. I almost cried.:tongue_smilie:

Wow! I bet that was a wonderful momma moment. :001_smile:

So, for someone who is floundering a bit- Do you have any advice?

My 2 1/2 year old dd is dependent on nursing for about 80-90% of her nutrition.

She seems to be sensory seeking in that she is welling & interested in trying some unusual foods but she absolutely is terrified of mac n' cheese, chicken, soup, most every food we eat. She has a terribly sensitive gag reflex and her sense of smell also appears overly sensitive. Anyway, I've taken her to the pediatrician who referred us to the Children's Hospital. The hospital said they had no appointments available in the feeding clinic and no waiting list either. They suggested the state run early intervention which was a joke and they had no advice other than that she is so advanced that maybe this is just her area to struggle with a bit. Ugh...

Sorry if I overtook your celebratory post. I am really happy for you and your son! I just also realize there are very, very few people who can help me understand how to handle my little ones issues.

Susan

I completely get it! 12 seems to be a pivotal age for some of these kids. My 12yo isn't nearly as severe. But today, he sincerely showed concern for me because I'm under the weather. This is so rare. And the other day he gave me a hug because I was crying. He never gives hugs. He doesn't like people touching him. This was so huge that my sad tears turned happy!

It's a good day, OP!

How exciting! My sensory kid is only 5.5 years old, but we have our little victories here too. Although it is wonderful for me to see, I always think how wonderful it is for these kids too to finally be able to do something that they couldn't do for so long.

My little guy is just learning how to read and write a bit, and this is so difficult for him as his hand always feels "funny" and he is so, so easily frustrated. But watching him read his first reader and seeing his pride -- wow!

She seems to be sensory seeking in that she is welling & interested in trying some unusual foods but she absolutely is terrified of mac n' cheese, chicken, soup, most every food we eat. She has a terribly sensitive gag reflex and her sense of smell also appears overly sensitive. Anyway, I've taken her to the pediatrician who referred us to the Children's Hospital. The hospital said they had no appointments available in the feeding clinic and no waiting list either. They suggested the state run early intervention which was a joke and they had no advice other than that she is so advanced that maybe this is just her area to struggle with a bit. Ugh...

Sorry if I overtook your celebratory post. I am really happy for you and your son! I just also realize there are very, very few people who can help me understand how to handle my little ones issues.

Susan

I don't have a kid with these problems, so feel free to ignore me! But have you tried smoothies or pediasure type drinks? What does the other 10% of her diet consist of?

Susan

:grouphug: No problem with interjecting questions into the post. Finding the right help can be a real struggle.

Did ECI offer any services? One of the benefits of being hooked up with ECI when my son turned three was that it eased the transition into evaluation and services from the local public school system. We have had wonderful ST, OT and PT from the public schools, even though none of the kids have ever attended there as students (other than my sensory child who attended PPCD as a preschooler). Not all public school districts are as helpful as ours has been, but it is a free service and is thus worth at least exploring.

My son's eating issues were actually prioritized under some more pressing concerns (and his diet was not as limited as your little one's diet) so that is not my area of expertise. However, our experience with ECI was that the services were not extensive or particularly helpful but due to our involvement in ECI, my son received an evaluation by the public school diagnostician, ST, PT and OT the day after his third birthday, with services beginning quickly thereafter.

It is possible that your little one's issues will resolve, but I understand your concern. I always think that mamas should listen to our gut on these things.

Susan

I know this path may not work for all people, having said that, we have had great success through naturopathic care. Dd has been a sensory seeker since the day she was born and she's also on the other side of that...noise, crowds, food, clothing...very sensitive to all. We see a naturopath now (she's 10yo) and have had phenomenal results! ND did urine and blood tests and was very scientifiic about it...no weird stuff. I cannot say enough how happy we are to see dd thriving in all kinds of situations. She's the happiest kid we know now!