Menu

Resources for weighted blankets/compression vests?!?

I have a very low income friend with a 3yr old autistic son. I was commenting tonight that I was drooling over crib bedding on Etsy (that I can't afford at all) and she said she was drooling over weighted blankets and compression vests on Etsy. She said, "Need weighted blanket so much." It made me think....maybe somebody here who has BTDT has a secret resource I could hook her up with???

Thanks!!!

Velvasoft is a company in TX that makes fantastic weighted blankets and compression vests. They are expensive, but the secret is to call them and see if they have seconds with stitching flaws, older designs, etc. They sell them at a 25-40% discount. Just look at the website. Figure out what you need and call and talk to Mary. I've ordered a lot of seconds and they have been completely functional and for the most part the flaws were unnoticable.

Velvasoft

http://www.velvasoft.com

M.W. Sales and Service, Inc.

Phone: 830*303*2508 Email us: Info@velvasoft.com

When people say these blankets are easy to make you are assuming that A) everyone has a sewing machine and B) everyone knows how to use a sewing machine.

I don't have one and don't know how to use one. :) So all these tutorials do me no good. I don't have friends that I'm close enough to that I would ask them to help me make one.

Velvasoft is a company in TX that makes fantastic weighted blankets and compression vests. They are expensive, but the secret is to call them and see if they have seconds with stitching flaws, older designs, etc. They sell them at a 25-40% discount. Just look at the website. Figure out what you need and call and talk to Mary. I've ordered a lot of seconds and they have been completely functional and for the most part the flaws were unnoticable.

Velvasoft

http://www.velvasoft.com

M.W. Sales and Service, Inc.

Phone: 830*303*2508Email us: Info@velvasoft.com

Thank you! I will pass this along!

For my son we used a fishing type vest and put weights in the pockets and we could change the weights as needed. For a weighted blanket we found a really heavy comforter made of jean material that worked great. He still uses it when he needs to calm himself at night 12 years later.

I would suggest that she try to find a local sewing club - check parks and recreation, Golden Agers organizations, and craft/sewing stores. I bet they would be willing to make one for her if she bought the materials.

Groups like Girl Scouts, Lions Club, and so on are also a good source for finding crafty people. Oh, and home schooling groups, of course!

When people say these blankets are easy to make you are assuming that A) everyone has a sewing machine and B) everyone knows how to use a sewing machine.

I don't have one and don't know how to use one. :) So all these tutorials do me no good. I don't have friends that I'm close enough to that I would ask them to help me make one.

Yep. DS's OT is always suggesting things I can sew for him. He would benefit from these, but we don't have the money and I don't have the skills.

Edited by kebg11
Changed "see" to "sew"

I would suggest that she try to find a local sewing club - check parks and recreation, Golden Agers organizations, and craft/sewing stores. I bet they would be willing to make one for her if she bought the materials.

Groups like Girl Scouts, Lions Club, and so on are also a good source for finding crafty people. Oh, and home schooling groups, of course!

I'm not sure if she's reached out yet at all, but I'll definitely suggest it. She is not a homeschooler.

I did not actually ever make one, but my son's OT suggested fishing weights in the pockets of any type of vest. She also suggested that wearing under armor type shirts would have a compression effect which would be similar.

Unfortunately, she already said that she wasn't interested in the Under Armor type shirts. She's tried them. Her comment was "No. I have 2. The vest is where it's at."

Yep. DS's OT is always suggesting things I can see for him. He would benefit from these, but we don't have the money and I don't have the skills.

Yes, it sounds like THIS is the issue.

I don't know how helpful this is, but maybe someone else on here would have more information..

A few years ago a friend of mine told me about an organization where she lives in Charlotte, NC that sews weighted blankets and vest for kids and they do it entirely for free. I think it's a church organization that has a stitching club. You would need to know someone that lives there to pick it up I guess though.

There might be something similar in your friend's area?

I sewed one for my dd9 and I'm very well with the sewing machine and although it wasn't hard it was ALOT of work! It took me a solid 7 hours to make!!! :001_huh: It cost me almost $50 to make hers! I know that's alot cheaper but still that's ALOT of money!

I would offer the extra we have but the weight isn't right for him.