Menu

Looking for recommendations for an Art Program

michaeljenn

I think Atelier is great. Read the materials list and gather (not hard or expensive), press play, make art.

Projects always turn out, in the eyes of the kids, to be surprisingly better than they ever thought they could do.

which just creates all kinds of joy and momentum.

also try out the free drawing lessons from... who is it again? Drawing in 3d forgot his name now. He is super fun, though you have to press pause a lot cause he goes really fast.

I think Atelier is great. Read the materials list and gather (not hard or expensive), press play, make art.

Projects always turn out, in the eyes of the kids, to be surprisingly better than they ever thought they could do.

Love Atelier here. :001_smile:

Joy

The free drawing lessons are at Mark Kistler's online website. I liked it so much that I subscribed (through HSBC for a discount).

We also do Meet the Masters which I am impressed with. The art projects are very good, but the strongest aspect of this program is learning art history.

We love Meet the Masters (it's online, not a DVD). We haven't used Atelier, but when I was trying to decide on an art program, it was down between the two. The only reason we went with MTM over Atelier is because MTM has more of an art history/artist study component to it. We've done 5 or 6 projects, and they've all come out well. I've heard the same is true for Atelier -- it's step-by-step so even non-artistic kids end up with something nice at the end. I can't speak about Atelier since I haven't used it, but I can say that the MTM is fun for the adults too. I LOVE doing the projects with them. I have some blog posts about a couple of our projects (we did some writing lessons from a different program along with them). The link is in my siggy.

I have been very happy with Artistic Pursuits. It is NOT DVD, but it takes 5 minutes to simply read the page and then set the kids off to do themselves! Not a lot of work at all and very enjoyable. It would take just as long to set up the dvd and cue it up. ;)

My 5yo has been cruising through lessons happily.

What about Barry Stebbing's programs like God and the History of Art or I Can Do All Things? I hardly ever see them recommended here--does anyone use them/ like them? They're one of Cathy Duffy's top 101 picks, and I noticed that some of them come with DVD instruction.

Atelier Art gets done in our house, and the kids love it! :D