Menu

Awards and Such for Homeschoolers?

I've been brainstorming with my son for a couple of days, coming up with awards and honors he could earn to list on his transcript and/or college apps. (Really, he just likes concrete, outside-of-what-Mom-tells-me-to-do goals.)

We've looked at the Congressional Award, but it's a little more involved than we'd like. Plus, the one person he'd like as a mentor is swamped with work and not available for a while.

Thus far, we have on our list:

- National Mythology Exam (Done, with a Silver Medal.)

- President's Fitness Challenge (In progress. He's working on the eight-week program and plans to switch to the Champions one after that.)

- President's Volunteer Service Award (He should be able to earn a Gold this calendar year.)

- National History Day (I'm planning to talk with him about this one.)

Poking around a little more, it looks like several of the most talked-about programs are math and science oriented. And, while my son is good at that stuff, it's not his area of interest. He's more of an artsy type, dancer and actor. He loves to read and is enjoying the NaNaWriMo YWP this month.

So, what else can I show him?

I just posted this link over on the Accelerated board, but it might help your son, too, Jenny. Johns Hopkins has lots of competitions listed not only by grade level, but also by subject area. Good luck finding something interesting!

ETA: Here's another great list from the hoagies gifted website.

Edited by Kathy in Richmond

I just posted this link over on the Accelerated board, but it might help your son, too, Jenny. Johns Hopkins has lots of competitions listed not only by grade level, but also by subject area. Good luck finding something interesting!

ETA: Here's another great list from the hoagies gifted website.

Thanks! I cannot wait to tell my son he can enter a tap competition.

If your son loves competitions, please ignore this post!

But if your ds marches to a different drummer, encourage him to march that way! Three of my four kids had less than zero interest in competitions so we had to find other ways to showcase their talents.

A dd was asked to and then wrote a guide for a local museum (nationally known museum that has 0.75M visitors each year).

A ds started his own (successful) company. It doesn't fit well in the "Awards" line, but it looks pretty amazing on a resume!

Can your son create / invent / start a group or program or company or whatever?

Some of the unique/original activities show a lot of get-up-and-go and out-of-the-box thinking.

I'd look for local things he can compete in in terms of his fine arts interests. I think while an award can be a nice thing, so can being X character in the local community theater.

Well, that's a given. He's been doing theatre since he was seven and dancing for about as long. (He's currently rehearsing to play Prince Eric in a youth production of Disney's Little Mermaid.) This year, he joined the competition tap team at his dance studio.

He's just looking to branch out a bit.

Keep in mind too that there are only 5 lines on the Common Application for awards. Personally I would focus on this only for kids, like your son, who sound like they are goal directed and really enjoy this process. For most teens activities are more meaningful and they typically carry more weight for admissions.

Many students also end up listing some kind of AP award. Of course if they take APs primarily in the senior year it won't help much. http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/ap/scholarawards.html

My sons have done essay contests. One boy won third place for a county wide contest.

I know folks who have done Poetry Outloud. One was the state winner who competed at nationals.

The National Mythology Exam changes a bit each year. There is also a Medusa Mythology exam.

Computational Linguistics Olympiad has always caught my eye.

Odyssey of the Mind.

My son, as an active 4-Her, earned a number of district and state awards. In NC, a number of these awards came with cash. So in addition to noting that he had earned a state gold medal for XYZ, he pocketed $100.

My son was also involved in Envirothon competitions. This was a team effort that led to awards he listed on his apps.

Does he do anything that's eligible for Theater awards? I know there are several National level ones for high school age students, but I don't know how many of them are limited to PS productions vs Community theater vs semi-professional or professional theater.

I would also imagine things like summer dance intensives or theater intensives could fall under that. Any kid who can SURVIVE a summer intensive probably is going to be able to handle a college workload with no sweat!

I've been brainstorming with my son for a couple of days, coming up with awards and honors he could earn to list on his transcript and/or college apps. (Really, he just likes concrete, outside-of-what-Mom-tells-me-to-do goals.)

We've looked at the Congressional Award, but it's a little more involved than we'd like. Plus, the one person he'd like as a mentor is swamped with work and not available for a while.

Thus far, we have on our list:

- National Mythology Exam (Done, with a Silver Medal.)

- President's Fitness Challenge (In progress. He's working on the eight-week program and plans to switch to the Champions one after that.)

- President's Volunteer Service Award (He should be able to earn a Gold this calendar year.)

- National History Day (I'm planning to talk with him about this one.)

Poking around a little more, it looks like several of the most talked-about programs are math and science oriented. And, while my son is good at that stuff, it's not his area of interest. He's more of an artsy type, dancer and actor. He loves to read and is enjoying the NaNaWriMo YWP this month.

So, what else can I show him?

I think it's great to branch out a bit for some of these awards he's trying for, While the Common App has only 5 spots, other applications can have room for more, and some scholarship applications have room for up to ten.

Something else you can go is to google for essay writing contests; some can be very specific. For example, we found one about German Russian heritage. You don't have to have that to enter, but you have to be interested in it for sure.

While our daughters will probably start at the county college, we are really eager to even get small awards or scholarships that may help toward books. We learned just how expensive they ramp up the tuition bill with our son who will graduate from The College of NJ this spring. (Thank God he will soon be done..lol!)

Thanks for all of these ideas. My oldest daughter loves to write and is going to look into Poetry Outloud and a few others.