Menu

Need some suggestions for Ancient History for a 7th grader

I've used Story of the World since we started home schooling, but SOTW 1 is too young at this point for my 7th grader.

Please list any suggestions you might have for Ancient History-if you have a schedule, feel free to post that as well :001_smile:

I appreciate the help!

I'm considering using Mystery of History for my 7th grader-to-be. I think that it would work nicely as a spine, with plenty of extra reading as per WTM to go along with it. I think it would work well for outlining too.

My other option is SL Core G which uses SOTW as one of it's main spines. It does move very quickly though - much faster than it would be read when the kids are younger.

I'm really leaning towards the MOH though.

I've used Story of the World since we started home schooling, but SOTW 1 is too young at this point for my 7th grader.

Please list any suggestions you might have for Ancient History-if you have a schedule, feel free to post that as well :001_smile:

I appreciate the help!

Have you looked at the chapters on history in The Well Trained Mind? There are a lot of reading suggestions there. I would look in three places. In the chapter for Logic Stage, read both the section for ancients (for book recommendations on the early logic level) and the section for early modern (for recommendations for level of work that an older logic student might be ready for). Then also take a look at the ancients section in the Rhetoric stage chapter. That can give you some suggestions for early high school level work.

I would not attempt SWB's adult ancient history book in this grade. It's probably just too much. It can be a stretch for many high schoolers.

We used a lot of non-fiction and then some historical fiction. In hindsight, I might drop most of the historical fiction and add in more of the Greek and Roman literature. Either in retellings or slices of the original epics and mythology.

The Teaching Company sets on Ancient Greece and Rome and the Barbarians were both hits at our house.

My 7th grader is doing the following this year for ancient history:

Main Spine - Kingfisher History Encyclopedia (We simply read 2-3 sections per week. We outline and complete map work from each section.)

Additional Resources - Dorothy Mills' Book of the Ancient World, Book of the Ancient Greeks and Book of the Ancient Romans; David Macaulay's Pyramid and City (He alternates reading through these books and his historical fiction books. He completes a summary on one section of the book per week.)

Historical Fiction - The Golden Goblet, The Trojan War, The Bronze Bow (After reading Mills' Ancient World and Macaulay's Pyramid, he read The Golden Goblet. After reading Mills' Ancient Greeks, he'll read The Trojan War, and after reading Mills' Ancient Romans and Macaulay's City, he'll read The Bronze Bow.)

He also watches documentaries on Netflix periodically.

I originally planned on DS11 completing American history this year and having DS9 completing ancient history. It got to be too much to keep up with, so I transitioned DS11 back to ancients, since he has never studied that time period. This history plan has worked out really well for us this year.

For Ancients, my DS used a combination of the three Dorothy Mills books that BFamily mentioned (Ancient World, Romans, Greeks), two of the World in Ancient Times books (China and Early Human), Famous Men of Greece and Rome, several encyclopedias, some ancient literature and historical fiction. He read through SOTW the previous summer for a quick overview.

Edited by ccolopy

I had modern history from after WWI to and including WWII all planned out for my 8th grade DD, but she didn't want to do another war this year, so we went back to ancients. What we are doing is using Crash Course History as our spine and adding in Mapping the World with Art, a timeline, historical fiction and tons of documentaries from top documentaries.com, documentay storm, documentary tube or You Tube.

I'll copy & paste some of the Ancients options we’ve looked at to use for our history spine, or as other reading options during 2013. Ages of my DC: DS – age 13, DD – age 11.

(Our schedule is still in the typing up stage ;))

Schedules & Curric Providers:

Biblioplan (uses Bible, SOTW, MOH, Streams of Civ, Usborne Encyc)

History Od. (uses Kingfisher Encyc, The Story of Man Kind)

(Old) Sonlight Core 6 (uses SOTW 1&2, Genevieve Foster books, Usborne Encyc) – just use book notes & select books

Heart of Dakota (just select books from here)

Veritas Press (select books from here)

Encyclopedia/Texts

Usborne encyc

Usborne Ancients encyc

Kingfisher encyc

DK Visual Encyc

Glencoe – (Spielvogel) World History (High school text - use as a discussion based text?)

Human Odyssey

Other

The Bible

Diana Waring

MOH

Narrative history spines/books

SOTW 1

CHOW

Dorothy Mills bks

Christine Millers Bks

Greenleaf Press Guides - including Men of…

The Story Of Mankind

Individual books we have on hand:

Burrell/Connolly – The Greeks, The Romans

I'm considering using Mystery of History for my 7th grader-to-be. I think that it would work nicely as a spine, with plenty of extra reading as per WTM to go along with it. I think it would work well for outlining too.

This is what I did for ancient history for my 7th grader. We used MOH for a spine, did lots of supplemental reading, and did outlining in Kingfisher History Encyclopedia.

We're doing history the WTM way using K12 Human Odyssey as our spine with lots of extra reading. I put together the reading list using the suggestions from Sonlight, Biblioplan, Classical House of Learning and Guesthollow.

Also using Human Odyssey, love it so far!